highlander08

marriage in Ukraine

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

http://www.ukrconsul.org/consular/english/marriage_en.html This is where I got this info.

My question is to clarify things.

What do they mean by Document proving the individuals civil status. Is this the divorce certificate. ? Just asking because it mentions divorce certificates on another line and I'm guessing this is referring to divorce certificates to prove you are free to marry.

Next question, "The Certificates of Civil Status have a validity period of six months, beginning from the date of issuance thereof by the appropriate authority." Does this mean I have to get the birth, marriage and divorce certificates within 6 months prior to seeking marriage in ukraine or is that mean they have to be apostilled within 6 months before time of marriage. I'm assuming " Legalised " means apostilled. ???

Also in the tread about ron (confused and angry) getting divorce certificates there in time it references having copies of entire divorce for uscis purposes. does that mean they want the notice of divorce,affidavit of service, complaint , decree, defendants and plaintiffs affidavit of consent,ect,ect...

I need to know this to get all proper paperwork together ahead of time to avoid confusion and delays ( :bonk: yes I know Read the instructions.!!! :bonk: )

Thanks everybody.

Requirements for Marriage in Ukraine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pursuant to Article 195 of the Code of Laws on Marriage and Family of Ukraine, a Ukrainian citizen, or a citizen of a foreign state, can enter into a marriage with a foreign national on the territory of Ukraine on a general basis, i.e. in compliance with the terms of Articles 15 and 17 of the Code of Laws on Marriage and Family of Ukraine.

The local Department of Vital Statistics and Civil Status (known by the acronym "RAGS") can process an application for marriage to a foreign individual, provided the following documents are submitted:

a Piece of Identification (to be translated into the Ukrainian language. In most cases, a passport can be translated by a freelance translator employed by the local Department of Vital Statistics and Civil Status);

a legalized Certificate of Birth (to be translated into the Ukrainian language. In most cases, a certificate can be translated by a freelance translator employed by the local Department of Vital Statistics and Civil Status);

a legalized Document proving the individual’s civil status. Such documents can be obtained from the appropriate authorities of the country of the individual’s origin or the Embassy of this country in Ukraine. (The US citizens should visit the Consular Section of the US Embassy in Kyiv (vul. Mykoly Pymonenka 6, Kyiv 01901; Tel: [380] (44) 246-8048, 246-9549, 246-8559. Fax: [380] (44) 216-3393) to complete a Non-impediment Letter, which is an affidavit saying that you are not married. This can be done at the Consular Section between 1:30 pm and 4:30 pm, Monday - Friday for a fee of $55. Then your letter must be authenticated at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine. The Ministry's telephone number is 212-8359 or 293-2906. The Ministry is located at Mykhailivka Ploshcha # 1 near the cathedrals of St. Sophia and St. Andrew).

a legalized Document proving that a past marriage was effectively dissolved (this document must be presented only by individuals who have been previously married. It may be represented by a Divorce Certificate, Certificate of Death of one of the spouses, or a copy of the Court Judgment annulling the marriage).

The Certificates of Civil Status have a validity period of six months, beginning from the date of issuance thereof by the appropriate authority.

If you are coming to Ukraine to get married, or plan to get married while in Ukraine, you should also have your sponsor (presumably your fiancee) register your passport at the local "Visas Permits and Passports Department" Office of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine (known by the acronym "VVIR").

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Processing times, requirements and fees are subject to change without notice.

The information on this web-site is provided as a public service, but we cannot guarantee that the information is current or accurate. Readers should verify the information before acting on it.

Last modified on October 20, 2001

Edited by highlander08

*The Family Rules*

Always tell the truth , Always argue naked,of course not in the childrens presence.and Don't go to bed angry.

Too much t.v is bad, too much reading is good! Family comes first, always be there.

Hands are for hugging not for hitting! Be thankful for what you have.. don't envy others

Have fun, be kind, ask first, no fussing, no whining., Husband adore her always- Wife love him forever

Sing silly, dance crazy, hug often, snuggle daily ,use your manners- Yes, please. No, thank you.

Use nice words, ignore dirty words Share everything except bad ideas

Say your prayers, thank God for this family.

Always be nice to strangers cuz they just might be a friend you have'nt met yet..!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to Russia-Ukraine-Belarus regional subforum -- topic requires specialized interpretation. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

1. ALL things in Ukraine are more easily attained by bribery. What all that means is "give $100 US to the clerk and you are all set"

2. USCIS wants the final divorce decree, stamped (or copy of the stamp) and entered as final and official. You get this from the court clerk where the divorce was granted. You do NOT need all the filings, pleadings, etc. They need the final decree, signed and entered. Simply call the court clerk and ask for a certified copy of the final divorce decree. You will pay a nominal fee for the copies and postage and they will mail it to you.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

1. ALL things in Ukraine are more easily attained by bribery. What all that means is "give $100 US to the clerk and you are all set"

2. USCIS wants the final divorce decree, stamped (or copy of the stamp) and entered as final and official. You get this from the court clerk where the divorce was granted. You do NOT need all the filings, pleadings, etc. They need the final decree, signed and entered. Simply call the court clerk and ask for a certified copy of the final divorce decree. You will pay a nominal fee for the copies and postage and they will mail it to you.

To further clarify, the court clerk is at the County building where the divorce was filed. This is standard stuff.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thanks, I already have the info,,, fees where to get certified copies and how to have apostilled. just wantet to know exactly what they want. for consulate and uscis.

*The Family Rules*

Always tell the truth , Always argue naked,of course not in the childrens presence.and Don't go to bed angry.

Too much t.v is bad, too much reading is good! Family comes first, always be there.

Hands are for hugging not for hitting! Be thankful for what you have.. don't envy others

Have fun, be kind, ask first, no fussing, no whining., Husband adore her always- Wife love him forever

Sing silly, dance crazy, hug often, snuggle daily ,use your manners- Yes, please. No, thank you.

Use nice words, ignore dirty words Share everything except bad ideas

Say your prayers, thank God for this family.

Always be nice to strangers cuz they just might be a friend you have'nt met yet..!

Timeline

Thanks, I already have the info,,, fees where to get certified copies and how to have apostilled. just wantet to know exactly what they want. for consulate and uscis.

apostilles are not needed for the consulate or USCIS.

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

apostilles are not needed for the consulate or USCIS.

Yes, but Apostille divorce decrees ARE required by the Ukrainian authorities to enable you to marry in Ukraine. Ask me how I know. :)

Don

Timeline

Yes, but Apostille divorce decrees ARE required by the Ukrainian authorities to enable you to marry in Ukraine. Ask me how I know. :)

Don

You did not bribe them. It is TRUE that Ukraine does require apostilles for official Ukrainian government business. The OPs question was specifically for the US Consulate and USCIS, neiother of which need apostilles. What you need to get married in Ukraine is a marriage license. The requirements above are those needed to get a marriage license, without a bribe. With a bribe, all that is needed is about $100.

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.