Hy Vong

Pink For Our K-1 Visa

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It took 10 days for us to receive it. My wife lived near Bao Loc City. You can go ahead and bought her a ticket. I booked a ticket back in August before our interview :).

Hey vyx,

When buying the tickets. Can i just go to the Vietnamese agency here in the U.S. and buy 1 round trip for me and 1 way for her? I like to fly together with her to the U.S. If I don't have any of her paperwork here, i can still buy her a one way ticket right?

I think you could. I booked my wife ticket via the internet (United). Most of the time, I find it's cheaper or comparable when book ticket via bing.com or some othere places. Plus, if you stick with one airlines (United, American...), you will get a lot of miles for future tickets. I still have 2 free round trip tickets left to fly to Vietnam :)

My wife travelled here by herself. I didn't have much vacation left.

Hey vyx,

When buying the tickets. Can i just go to the Vietnamese agency here in the U.S. and buy 1 round trip for me and 1 way for her? I like to fly together with her to the U.S. If I don't have any of her paperwork here, i can still buy her a one way ticket right?

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-05-15

NVC Received : 2012-06-22

NVC Left : 2012-06-28

Consulate Received : 2012-07-02

Packet 3 Received : Called DOS on 07/3 and package 3 sent out. We didn't wait for the "physical" package. My fiance' mailed DS2001 and DS230 part I

out the next day via EMS. You don't have to wait for pkg3. You can download and fill it out ahead of time.

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-07-04

Consulate Received pkg 3: 2012-07-06

From my experience, it's cheaper to buy directly from the airline online. Check with China Airline, Eva, United,...

You can buy a round trip ticket for you and one-way ticket for her with just her passport number.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

Wife's journey.
Day 01 - 07/25/2012 - Mailed AOS package (I-130,I-131, I-485,I-765) via UPS Next Day Air.
Day 02 - 07/26/2012 - Package delivered by UPS.
Day 10 - 08/03/2012 - Got 4 emails confirm AOS package had been received. Checks cashed.
Day 13 - 08/06/2012 - Receipt Numbers are track-able on USCIS website.
Day 18 - 08/11/2012 - Biometrics Notice received (Dated: 8/8, Appointment: 8/29)
Day 20 - 08/13/2012 - Walk-in biometrics done.
Day 24 - 08/17/2012 - Received 4 NOA letters.
Day 27 - 08/20/2012 - 2nd Biometrics Notice received. Same day walk-in biometrics done.
Day 41 - 09/03/2012 - Email and txt notification of interview.
Day 43 - 09/05/2012 - Interview Notice in the mail. This is GREAT!
Day 63 - 09/25/2012 - EAD txt notification. I-765 online status updated.
Day 69 - 10/01/2012 - EAD Mailed.
Day 71 - 10/03/2012 - Interview. I-130 approved. I-485 will be approved after police clearance received. / EAD received. Wrong name. Wrong country of birth.
... waiting for Police Reports from Vietnam and current city's police dept.
11/01/2012 - RFE Police reports sent.
11/06/2012 - I-485 Approved. Card production email received.
11/09/2012 - Email notification. Card picked up by USPS.
11/15/2012 - GC received. Correct name. Still wrong country of birth.

Remove condition:

10/22/2014 - I-751 notice receipt received.

Timeline

My fiancee received her visa yesterday, exactly 1 week from her interview.

My question is: In the EMS package, one is her passport with visa, the other brown package is sealed and labeled do not open until arrives at the US airport and then hand it to the immigration office.

Did you guys receive the same thing?

Also,

The valid dates on her visa is from October 17, 2012 to March 17, 2013.

Does this mean she has 5 months in Vietnam because I am planning to go back in early December and stay there to celebrate Xmas with her.

Or the 5 months on her visa includes the 3 months that she and I have to get married?

Filed: Timeline

From my experience, it's cheaper to buy directly from the airline online. Check with China Airline, Eva, United,...

You can buy a round trip ticket for you and one-way ticket for her with just her passport number.

I make the flight back and forth frequently - from Los Angeles the cheapest tickets are on VN Airlines codeshare with China Airlines. Flight goes thru Taipei (an easy airport to transit) and total elapsed time is the shortest from LAX (right around 19 hours). Fare varies but is normally ~$1,500 (sometimes less, sometimes more). Coach of course. I like Hipmunk to compare costs and durations but VN airlines has always been the cheapest (and I have FF miles). I book direct w the airline. They are strict about you having the CC used to pay for the flight when you depart

My question is: In the EMS package, one is her passport with visa, the other brown package is sealed and labeled do not open until arrives at the US airport and then hand it to the immigration office.

Also,

Does this mean she has 5 months in Vietnam because I am planning to go back in early December and stay there to celebrate Xmas with her.

Or the 5 months on her visa includes the 3 months that she and I have to get married?

When I got my immigrant visa, it expired on my 21 birthday but for my parent and sister, their visas expires after 6 months. I had less than 2 months to migrate to the US and they had 6 months.

Your fiancé can enter as long as her visa hasn't expired so the answer is yes. You guys have within 90 days of her entry into the US to get marry.

Wife's journey.
Day 01 - 07/25/2012 - Mailed AOS package (I-130,I-131, I-485,I-765) via UPS Next Day Air.
Day 10 - 08/03/2012 - Got 4 emails confirm AOS package had been received. Checks cashed.
Day 18 - 08/11/2012 - Biometrics Notice received (Dated: 8/8, Appointment: 8/29)
Day 27 - 08/20/2012 - 2nd Biometrics Notice received. Same day walk-in biometrics done.
Day 71 - 10/03/2012 - Interview. I-130 approved. I-485 will be approved after police clearance received. / EAD received. Wrong name. Wrong country of birth.

Remove condition:

I make the flight back and forth frequently - from Los Angeles the cheapest tickets are on VN Airlines codeshare with China Airlines. Flight goes thru Taipei (an easy airport to transit) and total elapsed time is the shortest from LAX (right around 19 hours). Fare varies but is normally ~$1,500 (sometimes less, sometimes more). Coach of course. I like Hipmunk to compare costs and durations but VN airlines has always been the cheapest (and I have FF miles). I book direct w the airline. They are strict about you having the CC used to pay for the flight when you depart

I bought the ticket for my gf, now wife :star:, using my credit card. All I need to do is sign a INDEMNITY OF PAYMENT form fax to the airline and email a copy to her. They just want to make sure that the payment is authorized.

The second and third time, I added her as an Authorized user on the card and booked the ticket using the AU's card to avoid this.

https://calec.china-airlines.com/OLB_MIS/Payment-en.pdf

Wife's journey.

Remove condition:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Also,

She has until March 17 2013 to enter the US. They say 6 months, but for some it is shorter than that.

everyone gets that envelope.. do not open it at all. it is given to the Immigration folks when she gets here at the airport.

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

where you able to track it on EMS website? when?

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

where you able to track it on EMS website? when?

Hi Scott,

I couldn't track it on EMS website. What they gave her only 8 digits, on the EMS site requires 13 digits.

On the 22nd in Vietnam, she received a called from a delivery lady saying she is delivering a package from EMS to my fiancee in 1.5 hours.

2 hours later, that lady showed up with the package.

Timeline

it looks like 8 but when you put the 3 letters in front and VN on the end its 13.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I am very happy since 10 pm California time last night (10/14/12).

My fiancee's interview was at 9:30 Vietnam time. She arrived there at 8 am. Went in by herself without her phone. She got her number and she was the last one that they interviewed for the day.

At around 11:30, they called her in, a receptionist there asked for more passport visa photos ( so a total of 4 passport photos) and we prepared this very well.

The White Man maybe in the 30's interviewed her, with a Vietnamese translator.

The first question he asker her

1. How did you guy meet?

My financee was very nervous even though she and I practiced this question for 2 months. The man was very nice, he told her "just relax, your smile is very beautiful so try to relax and I know you're very nervous but don't worry, just try to answer and relax just like you're talking to a friend"

After the man told my fiancee that, she started to feel comfortable and after she answered just 2 sentences, the man moved on to the next question even though she didn't complete telling him how we met that we prepared to answer a long and more details of how we met. (I guess this is because during the I-129F, question 18B I answered it every well about how we met).

2. How do you guys communicate?

She told him that we talk on the phone every day. Each day she calls me up for work and when driving to work, I call her and everyday after work, I call her and we text throughout the day. She asked him if he wants to look at the phone logs. We also chat online and webcam through yahoo messenger. We also write letters.

3. How much do you pay for phone calls each month?

She told him she doesn't know because she buys prepay phone cards and that I send her money each month that helps her pay the phones.

4. Do you use maybe 10 phone cards a month?

She said yes, 10 or more.

5. In what city does your Finance live and what time is it now over there?

She looked at the o'clock and it was 5 minutes til 12pm Vietnam time so she told him it's about 10pm in California. (This part is funny because the translater asked him is it right and he said yes right away, this man knows Vietnamese).

6. What is your fiance's job

She told him he is working as a research engineer for NASA so he said ok

7. When did your fiancee become U.S. citizen?

She told him the date I became U.S. citizen that was printed on my US Citizen certificate that she looked at it when she was waiting to be called and over heard they asked some people before her. (so please guys, study this question if it involves you)

8. Why did you cry?

(this question because he looked at one of the pictures last month we she took me to the airport going back to the U.S. after our engagement.)

She told him that because after the engagement, she didn't want to be separated from me and that she was so sad seeing me leave that's why she cried).

9. Who helped you organized all these paperwork?

My fiance and I. (this is because I label and put everything in 2 binders with clear pockets ready to be taken each labeled pocket out when he asks.

He didn't look at much of the evidences, not even about 100 pictures of our engagement. He barely went through a few pictures. He only spent sometimes looking at some pictures that she cried at the airport hugging me. (so please guys, next time when your fiancee takes you to the airport ... just cry and get some of those pictures hehehe) It was just a coincidence for us but the pictures helped

The translater told her she passed the interview. The man congratulated my fiancee and told her to go pay the fee for VISA and passport at the counter.

He took only my 2011 income tax and returned the 2010.

He gave all the original paper back to her and took her passport.

He didn't ask for timeline or 10 years residence, my fiancee asked the translator right at the beginning to see if she wants to give him the time line but the answer was "no need"

Thank you JV and Thank You to you all.

My case took exactly 7 months.

I sent my I-129F on March 12, they received it on the 15th. The interview on October 15th. Carefully prepared and asked questions, everything went by so well, there was not a single problem

Congrats on your pink slip :D

Did you go through a lawyer to process your paperwork?

I-129F sent on 12/18/2012
Delivery confirmation confirmed from USPS 12/20/2012
Text/email NOA1 received 12/26/2012 Off to VSC we go!
Check cashed 12/28/2012
NOA1 Hardcopy received 12/29/2012 Priority Date 12/21/2012
Touched, still in Initial Review 01/02/2013

Touched, still in Initial Review 05/24/2013 transferred

Touched, still in Initial Review 05/29/2013 transferred to local office (New Orleans?)

Touched, still in Initial Review 05/30/2013 File now processing

NOA2!!! 06/19/2013

NOA2 Hardcopy received 06/22/2013

Touched, 07/10/2013 sent to DOS

Received case number from NVC 07/15/2013

Case sent to US Consulate in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam 07/30/2013

Sent online form to Us Consulate to inquire about packet 3 08/20/2013

Packet 3 Received @ consulate 9/26/2013

Packet 4 Sent via email 01/03/2014

Interview Date 01/27/2014 (submitted requested documents and medical exams records received 03/30 )

VISA APPROVED (Received in hand on April 22)
May 18, 2014 Arrive in US

Wedding date 06/02/2015

AOS Sent: TBD

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.