FastTrack

Public charge....sponsor risk

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Hi everyone, I thought this may be a interesting post concerning something I have a question about...

I I have high hopes that My fiancee will be approved at her interview. I feel that my financial situation(I-134) will be excepted, but if not I have decided to potentially ask my mother to co sponsor if they do not accept me as sponsor. I plan to send her with my personal docs, and if they say its not sufficient, have her introduce my mothers info as replacement...

She has offered, and I am hesitant to allow her to do it, because I am a mature adult and don't like the thought of my mother being legally responsible for my actions... or my wifes actions. That is a responsibility I would prefer to take myself...

My question is: As far as becoming a "public charge" is concerned, what are the largest risks to the co-sponsor financially? ... Meaning what things are considered public charge, and what kind of devastating potential does becoming a co-sponsor carry financially etc...? My mom has significant assets I dont want to risk...

Any horror stories?

Also what is the possibility of her placing a large enough amount in a joint bank account for support as opposed to co sponsoring?

Any thoughts or insight is appreciated as I have to take action on this quick. Interview is in 11 days

thanks

K1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2012-05-15

I-129F NOA1 : 2012-05-17

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-08-08

NVC Received : 2012-08-10

NVC Left : 2012-08-15

Consulate Received : 2012-08-20

Packet 3 Received : ONLINE

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-09-18

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2012-10-25 Submit Review

Interview Result :

Visa Received :

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

If your wife APPLY for and receives a forbidden means tested benefit, your mother as the I-864 sponsor is liable for reimbursing the government.

I have not heard of anyone having to repay the government, but the liability is real. If the goverent wants to come after the sponsor, it could.

Transferring money to you in any way, shape, or form will not work. It is viewed as a sham because money could (would) flow out once your wife gets a green card.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The I-134/K visa liability is minimal. The following I-864 (at adjustment of status) is an actual contract with the government. If enforced, it has teeth.

As mentioned in your other thread, it can't hurt to over prepare. Obtaining the visa is the goal. Use whatever (legal) means needed to obtain the visa.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

I definitely understand that the I-864 is completely enforceable against sponsor. When you say that the liability is minimal, could you please elaborate a bit?

This is what I am trying to answer... Is my mothers potential risk equivalent to losing $10,000 - $20,000 or $100,000 - $1,000,000... What are some of the potential high dollar public charges?

can your wife with adjusted status legally and easily seek these benefits falling under the "public charge" umbrella, or would it have to be done with fake documentation? If it's illegal for her to receive them, then how would she apply "successfully" for such things?

My fiancee is a HARD WORKER... She has always worked, and is very well put together mentally. I don't feel she would even let herself use these services if she left me. I believe she would legitimately seek employment no matter where she was living, or what she was doing... Obviously I cant be sure about future circumstances, or that she is indeed the angel :innocent: I think she is!!!...haha!... This is like the government asking me to"swear on my mothers life"!!! Thats messed up! I could not live with myself if my mother was held responsible for my actions if it would significantly decrease her Livelihood/assets.

K1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2012-05-15

I-129F NOA1 : 2012-05-17

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-08-08

NVC Received : 2012-08-10

NVC Left : 2012-08-15

Consulate Received : 2012-08-20

Packet 3 Received : ONLINE

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-09-18

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2012-10-25 Submit Review

Interview Result :

Visa Received :

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.