Penny Lane

Romney clarifies position on abortion

11 posts in this topic

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/10/romney-clarifies-position-on-abortion/?hpt=hp_t2

Delaware, Ohio (CNN) Mitt Romney sought to clarify his position on abortion Wednesday, saying as president he would move "immediately" to de-fund Planned Parenthood.

Romney sparked controversy a day earlier when he told the Des Moines Register's editorial board that he was not aware of any abortion legislation that would become part of his presidential agenda.

Democrats pounced, accusing Romney of moderating his position on the highly-charged issue.

During the primary campaign, Romney maintained he would support efforts to remove funding for Planned Parenthood, a women's health organization that provides abortion services. Several House Republicans have introduced legislation that would strip funding from the group.

On Wednesday, Romney said he would support removing the group's funding through the federal budget, which must be passed by Congress.

"I think I've said time and time again that I'm a pro-life candidate and I'll be a pro-life president," he said. "The actions I'll take immediately is to remove funding for Planned Parenthood. It will not be part of my budget."

In the interview on Tuesday, Romney said that he has no abortion-related legislation on his platform but that he would reinstate a policy banning nongovernmental organizations from using federal funds to provide abortions.

"There's no legislation with regards to abortion that I'm familiar with that would become part of my agenda," Romney said in an interview with The Des Moines Register.

"One thing I would change, however, which would be done by executive order, not by legislation, is that I'd reinstate the Mexico City policy which is that foreign aid dollars from the US would not be used to carry out abortion in other countries," he continued.

The policy has generally been implemented by Republican administrations and dropped by Democratic presidents. President Barack Obama rescinded it shortly after taking office in 2009.

Obama's campaign quickly accused Romney of "playing politics" with abortion as it continues to try to question his convictions on issues that helped him earn the Republican nomination but have shifted more to the center in the general election campaign.

After Romney's remarks were published online, Romney's campaign spokeswoman reiterated that he is opposed to abortion.

"Mitt Romney is proudly pro-life, and he will be a pro-life president," Andrea Saul said in a statement.

Earlier Tuesday, the conservative site National Review Online published a different statement from Saul: "Governor Romney would of course support legislation aimed at providing greater protections for life."

Obama's campaign said Romney's "statement contradicts his pledge to appoint Supreme Court justices who would overturn Roe v. Wade," the 1972 U.S. Supreme Court decision affirming a woman's right to have an abortion.

The Democratic National Committee pointed reporters to a June 2011 opinion piece published in the National Review Online in which the candidate identifies a piece of legislation for which he would advocate as president.

"I will advocate for and support a Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act to protect unborn children who are capable of feeling pain from abortion," Romney wrote in the piece, headlined "My Pro-Life Pledge."

In that piece, Romney also expressed his support for overturning Roe v. Wade, disavowing federal funds from being spent on abortions, and said he would nominate judges in line with his views.

Obama campaign spokeswoman Lis Smith said in a statement, that "women simply can't trust (Romney)."

"It's troubling that Mitt Romney is so willing to play politics with such important issues. But we know the truth about where he stands on a woman's right to choose he's said he'd be delighted to sign a bill banning all abortions, and called Roe v. Wade 'one of the darkest moments in Supreme Court history' while pledging to appoint Supreme Court justices who will overturn it," she said.

Romney has said that he would nominate for any Supreme Court vacancies candidates who would support overturning Roe v. Wade.

In campaign appearances and on his website, Romney has said he would "end federal funding for abortion advocates like Planned Parenthood" and specifically expressed his support for the Hyde Amendment, a 1976 measure which bans federal monies appropriated to the Health and Human Services Department from being used to fund abortions.

The candidate has been criticized for changing positions on the issue of abortion, dating back to his run for governor of Massachusetts.

"With regards to abortion, I changed my mind. With regards to abortion, I had the experience of coming in to office, running for governor, saying, you know, I'm going to keep the laws as they exist in the state," Romney said at a debate in Iowa on December 15.

"And they were pro-choice laws, so effectively I was pro-choice. Then I had a bill come to my desk that didn't just keep the laws as they were, but would have created new embryos for the purpose of destroying them. I studied it in some depth and concluded I simply could not sign on to take human life. I vetoed that bill."

Romney explained that he wrote an op-ed in The Boston Globe explaining his personal opposition to abortion.

The Republican candidate has this cycle expressed his opposition to abortion, with the exception of cases of rape.

Rape is not an exception in the Republican Party platform adopted in Tampa this summer, nor was it an exception Rep. Paul Ryan who in August joined Romney's ticket supported, though Ryan said he supports Romney's position on the issue.

The issue of abortion was briefly in the spotlight earlier this year when Rep. Todd Akin, a Missouri Republican seeking to unseat Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill, made controversial comments about "legitimate rape."

He claimed in a television interview that "legitimate rape" rarely resulted in pregnancy, saying that "the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."

Romney distanced himself from those comments and called for Akin to exit the race.

So how many times does Romney have to "clarify a position" before people realize he's just making it up as he goes along?

Edited by Evylin

So how many times does Romney have to "clarify a position" before people realize he's just making it up as he goes along?

Here is the bottom line... I could care less what a Presidents position on abortion is. It's really irrelevant since they have so little control over the issue and I also don't give a rats pottie about state lead prayer in public school. . What I do care about is job growth, unemployment, personal freedoms, our troops being sent into harms way with no defined purpose, run away rampantly abused social programs that breed generation after generation of government dependent parasites, a rational environmental policy that protects the earth without crippling business, 8 million working illegal aliens in this county and 12 million out of work citizens. . etc etc

Obama sucks on all points, doubt Mitt will do much better but he darn sure can't do worse.

yes, he CLARIFIED it and now you LIBS are trying to MUDDY the waters again!

I can't help it. I'm swimming in a muddy sea of confusion.

Here is the bottom line... I could care less what a Presidents position on abortion is. It's really irrelevant since they have so little control over the issue and I also don't give a rats pottie about state lead prayer in public school. . What I do care about is job growth, unemployment, personal freedoms, our troops being sent into harms way with no defined purpose, run away rampantly abused social programs that breed generation after generation of government dependent parasites, a rational environmental policy that protects the earth without crippling business, 8 million working illegal aliens in this county and 12 million out of work citizens. . etc etc

Obama sucks on all points, doubt Mitt will do much better but he darn sure can't do worse.

Cool. You're entitled to feel it's irrelevant. I, as a woman, disagree and think it's incredibly important.

I too care about job growth and unemployment and everything else you've mentioned. But that doesn't mean I can ignore social issues that matter to me, these "personal freedoms" that you mention.

Edited by Evylin

Cool. You're entitled to feel it's irrelevant. I, as a woman, disagree and think it's incredibly important.

I too care about job growth and unemployment and everything else you've mentioned. But that doesn't mean I can ignore social issues that matter to me, these "personal freedoms" that you mention.

Your exactly right it is a personal freedom that is why I am anti-abortion but Pro-Choice. The issue gets way too much play in presidential elections. There is so very little a president can do to affect abortion and if that is they main issue you are voting on then the propaganda machine has done a good job on you. Both sides do it--They use religion and abortion to scare the unwashed masses so they don't realize how bad both sides are screwing them over.

Your exactly right it is a personal freedom that is why I am anti-abortion but Pro-Choice. The issue gets way too much play in presidential elections. There is so very little a president can do to affect abortion and if that is they main issue you are voting on then the propaganda machine has done a good job on you. Both sides do it--They use religion and abortion to scare the unwashed masses so they don't realize how bad both sides are screwing them over.

Abortion isn't a main issue that I focus on, but women's rights are. I like living in a country knowing that I'm responsible for the choices I make, not a government that I can't see.

funny how you say they have no control yet I keep hearing REPEAL REPEAL REPEAL from the Repubs.

Adjustment of Status from H-1B, Family-Based
07/26/2012 - 10/18/2012: 85 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Removal of Conditions
07/22/2014 - 11/14/2014: 116 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Naturalization
02/03/2016 - 05/31/2016 : 119 Days from Application Received to Oath Ceremony.

I am a United States citizen!

Abortion isn't a main issue that I focus on, but women's rights are. I like living in a country knowing that I'm responsible for the choices I make, not a government that I can't see.

Well amen to that. That is why I wish we had a true constitutional libertarian running. Still all I can do is vote for Romney and pray he does better than obamer. It would sure be hard to do worse. Also Obama has trampled all over the constitution so many times.

I'd love if they truly had no control.

Truly you are Korrect. it would be great if the Federal Govt was way less powerful

Edited by Run Herschel Run

How is it important if the president doesn't have any control over it? It's a Supreme Court and local issue, not the presidents.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."