QueenE

co-sponsor not accepted for K1 (lagos)

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The other day I read someone say that their K1 visa wasnt approved a while back because lagos didnt accept co sponsors. Does anyone know for a fact that this is common in Lagos? Anyone have success with their application using a co sponsor. I have taken a significant pay cut from last year because of internships to complete my masters. This news has be pretty bothersome...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The other day I read someone say that their K1 visa wasnt approved a while back because lagos didnt accept co sponsors. Does anyone know for a fact that this is common in Lagos? Anyone have success with their application using a co sponsor. I have taken a significant pay cut from last year because of internships to complete my masters. This news has be pretty bothersome...

Where did you read that at? Thats not true. I have had many friends who have gone through embassy in the last 6 months (well 5) that are K1 and they had co-sponsors no wahala. I would truly try though to stick to close family members if possible.

Edited by dwheels76

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Stick with advice you can trust, like VJ, not the rumor mill. Good Luck.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Timeline

Ya it was on VJ. Unfortunately the only other people I know that has gone through K1 went through Italy, so VJ is usually my primary source of all types info rumora included. I just wonder why the co sponsor thing would even be an issue, and I wish if that was the case it would be stated from the beginning! Why make people go through all this then find out when your there that sorry we dont accept co sponsors on k1s. Its already kind of uncomfortable asking someone else to be a co sponsor to start with!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The Co is supposed to try to determine the chances that the immigrant will take benefits. If you are a student in a well paid job path and the immigrant is also then the answer is there is little chance. IF you are a welface momma since your first child at 15 and you have 10 children all collecting and you married your 20 something grade school drop out boy toy then the chances of collecting benefits raises. If you are in the first example then you probably can use a co sponsor. If you are in the second catagory, lets hope someone is there to save the tax payers from another leech.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Timeline

Ya it was on VJ. Unfortunately the only other people I know that has gone through K1 went through Italy, so VJ is usually my primary source of all types info rumora included. I just wonder why the co sponsor thing would even be an issue, and I wish if that was the case it would be stated from the beginning! Why make people go through all this then find out when your there that sorry we dont accept co sponsors on k1s. Its already kind of uncomfortable asking someone else to be a co sponsor to start with!

The other thing I heard was even if it became an issue that if the Beneficiary is a degree person or one that has demonstrated experience in a field that they then look favorably to that hoping that the beneficiary is less likely to become a public ward.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It is up to the discretion of the CO as to whether or not they will accept the co sponsor. They do not have to. I would have to agree with Nigeria or Bust that if you are getting benefits ect. it would probably be difficult them to accept it. Good Luck to you!!

10-11-2012: Interview DENIED

09-10-2013: REAFFIRMED

12-18-2013: 2nd Interview APPROVED

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It is not a rumor mill. I posted from personal experience. Like i said, email the embassy to clarify but others are right, it is up to the CO. They did not ask my husband about how much i make currently at the time, it was based on the last three years which i was a student but i was making way above the poverty line during the interview. She plainly stated that they do not accept cosponsors for the k visas. This was not an issue with the CR-1 only the k-3 for us and k-1 for another poster. Things may have changed but you should try to clarify so that you know what steps to take and also for peace of mind cos i know how nerve wrecking this process is, but there is light at the end of the tunnel as that whole process for us is a distant memory :) . I just realized i've been keeping up with VJ for 7 years!

Edited by S&S

06/06/05 I-130 NOA1

06/14/05 K-3 NOA1

07/08/05 k-3 NOA2

07/22/05 K-3 leaves NVC to Lagos

08/08/05 Hubby picks up interview packet from embassy

11/17/05 K-3 interview (denied, C.O refused to take co-sponsor for k-3)

12/16/05 I-130 NOA2

01/03/06 NVC assigns case number

02/15/06 Case complete (thank you James Shortcuts- only 6 weeks!)

04/19/06 tired of waiting, filed k-3 #2 ( petition is still lost in oblivion)

09/11/06 NVC scheduled CR-1 interview/ on to Lagos (thank God after 7 months of waiting!)

10/14/06 Interview date (success!)

10/18/06 Hubby goes to pick up visa- not ready ( ugh what's going on!)

10/19/06 Visa in hand ( thank you God!)

10/29/06 Together at last :)

Whole process 1 year and 4 months

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I read in an review co sponsor was accepted before they wasn't... You can still check up on it to be sure.

Nigeria

Review #8841 on December 9, 2011:

suaverikky

Firstly, we would like to return all credit and glory to God who made this possible. Also, a big appreciation to the amazing suppourt and comradiere on this website. VJ Rocks!

Finacee got in and did all the regular embassy procedures. She was then called to the interview window shortly. She said the interview didn't last 6 mins!! To anyone reading this review and every other reviews, the most important thing you can do is to frontload all your stuffs beforehand. Frontloading takes the pressure off your fiancee because the CO would have had his "fill" of going thru the materials, hence there won't be a need for the CO to toughen up, "doti" and roughen up your fiance/e.

To those who don't know what that means, frontloading means basically submitting all EVIDENCES beforehand. (photos, rebtel records, moneygram copies, emails, printed text messages)You should submit all these alongside your initial I-129f application. USCIS then forwards it to Lagos.

Apparently, the CO had already gone through everything and he didn't ask my fiancee for a shred of evidence. He didn't ask for pictures, phone records, nothing, nada, zilch. Infact, the CO returned some of the stacks of evidence i initially sent with the I-129F to my fiancee!

He only asked her a few generic questions though:

CO: Who is petitioning for you?

Fiancee: **Ogbologbo Awati Bolekaja Omo Ita* (ofcourse this is not my name,just a simulation lol)

CO: How old is he and how long have you dated?

Fiancee: Blah blah years..

CO: Wow, you guys are still pretty young!, so what does he do? gist me!

Fiancee: He is a blah blah, yada yada yada.

CO: Hmm, am interested, tell me more

Fiancee: He is also yap yap yap....

CO: What did he tell you about Indianapolis?

Fiancee: Its very cold and icy during the winter.

CO: Did he tell you about whats happening in Indianapolis next february 2012.

Fiancee: Oh Yes! that Indianapolis would be hosting the superbowl and the colts suck this season yada yada..

Co:Wow, am impressed you are prepared and you know all this. Am just gonna go ahead and give you the visa. Congratulations!!!

Key: Pray for God's favor that the CO should favor you. Fiancee told me the same guy had bounced 2 or 3 people before her and that she prayed not to fall in his hands, yet she did anyway. lol. Secondly,Be prepared and dazzle the CO: notice that the superbowl line changed the trajectory of things. Funny enough, the superbowl info i gave my fiancee was one of the last things we talked about during the review session, but it turned out to be key.

Over-prepare your fiancee/fiance for the obvious, for the mumu issues, for the tangible and even the most intangible such as the superbowl info i gave my fiancee, it may turn out to be the difference between your fiancee crossing over across the Atlantic or they being stuck in Naija doing long-distance, while you are alone in this brutal winter.

In all like i stated earlier, we do not hoard or hogg any credit or glory for this, We absolutely celebrate and thank God for this!!

BTW: Lagos accepts co-sponsor!!! This is for the folks getting mixed-signals about Lagos not accepting Co-sponsors. Unfortunately, going thru the past VJ reviews in 2006ish, Lagos had bounced people for using co-sponsor!!. But now they accept! The consulate in Lagos is a heck and a bag of contradiction.

Timeline

What year did that happen to you?

It is not a rumor mill. I posted from personal experience. Like i said, email the embassy to clarify but others are right, it is up to the CO. They did not ask my husband about how much i make currently at the time, it was based on the last three years which i was a student but i was making way above the poverty line during the interview. She plainly stated that they do not accept cosponsors for the k visas. This was not an issue with the CR-1 only the k-3 for us and k-1 for another poster. Things may have changed but you should try to clarify so that you know what steps to take and also for peace of mind cos i know how nerve wrecking this process is, but there is light at the end of the tunnel as that whole process for us is a distant memory :) . I just realized i've been keeping up with VJ for 7 years!

Thanks a lot for sharing that!

I read in an review co sponsor was accepted before they wasn't... You can still check up on it to be sure.

Nigeria

Review #8841 on December 9, 2011:

suaverikky

Firstly, we would like to return all credit and glory to God who made this possible. Also, a big appreciation to the amazing suppourt and comradiere on this website. VJ Rocks!

Finacee got in and did all the regular embassy procedures. She was then called to the interview window shortly. She said the interview didn't last 6 mins!! To anyone reading this review and every other reviews, the most important thing you can do is to frontload all your stuffs beforehand. Frontloading takes the pressure off your fiancee because the CO would have had his "fill" of going thru the materials, hence there won't be a need for the CO to toughen up, "doti" and roughen up your fiance/e.

To those who don't know what that means, frontloading means basically submitting all EVIDENCES beforehand. (photos, rebtel records, moneygram copies, emails, printed text messages)You should submit all these alongside your initial I-129f application. USCIS then forwards it to Lagos.

Apparently, the CO had already gone through everything and he didn't ask my fiancee for a shred of evidence. He didn't ask for pictures, phone records, nothing, nada, zilch. Infact, the CO returned some of the stacks of evidence i initially sent with the I-129F to my fiancee!

He only asked her a few generic questions though:

CO: Who is petitioning for you?

Fiancee: **Ogbologbo Awati Bolekaja Omo Ita* (ofcourse this is not my name,just a simulation lol)

CO: How old is he and how long have you dated?

Fiancee: Blah blah years..

CO: Wow, you guys are still pretty young!, so what does he do? gist me!

Fiancee: He is a blah blah, yada yada yada.

CO: Hmm, am interested, tell me more

Fiancee: He is also yap yap yap....

CO: What did he tell you about Indianapolis?

Fiancee: Its very cold and icy during the winter.

CO: Did he tell you about whats happening in Indianapolis next february 2012.

Fiancee: Oh Yes! that Indianapolis would be hosting the superbowl and the colts suck this season yada yada..

Co:Wow, am impressed you are prepared and you know all this. Am just gonna go ahead and give you the visa. Congratulations!!!

Key: Pray for God's favor that the CO should favor you. Fiancee told me the same guy had bounced 2 or 3 people before her and that she prayed not to fall in his hands, yet she did anyway. lol. Secondly,Be prepared and dazzle the CO: notice that the superbowl line changed the trajectory of things. Funny enough, the superbowl info i gave my fiancee was one of the last things we talked about during the review session, but it turned out to be key.

Over-prepare your fiancee/fiance for the obvious, for the mumu issues, for the tangible and even the most intangible such as the superbowl info i gave my fiancee, it may turn out to be the difference between your fiancee crossing over across the Atlantic or they being stuck in Naija doing long-distance, while you are alone in this brutal winter.

In all like i stated earlier, we do not hoard or hogg any credit or glory for this, We absolutely celebrate and thank God for this!!

BTW: Lagos accepts co-sponsor!!! This is for the folks getting mixed-signals about Lagos not accepting Co-sponsors. Unfortunately, going thru the past VJ reviews in 2006ish, Lagos had bounced people for using co-sponsor!!. But now they accept! The consulate in Lagos is a heck and a bag of contradiction.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.