madala

Wife travel history

5 posts in this topic

Timeline

Basically I met my wife while going to school in US but I have to leave after the expiry of my student visa. We are about to file for CR-1, however she (US citizen) has never been in the country that I live in now because she might be refused at the border (lot of reasons). I visit her all the time because I can prove ties to where I live now. Do you think we have a chance of going to interview without issue in this case?

- Feb 22 2020 - Mailed Application (I-130, I-845....) to Chicago

- April 22 2020 - NOA 1

- June 1 2020 - RFE for I-944

- June 24 2020 - Replied to RFE

- Oct 25 2020 - Fingerprint done

- Nov 9 2020 - Case ready to be scheduled for interview

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Do you think we have a chance of going to interview without issue in this case?

So what is your question exactly? Are you asking will it be an issue in a visa interview that she has never been to your country? Since you have been to see her many times in the US, the fact that she has never been to your country is most likely a non-issue.

What country will you be interviewing in, because in most countries, you will be interviewing by yourself and the petitioner's presence is not required.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Togo
Timeline

Basically I met my wife while going to school in US but I have to leave after the expiry of my student visa. We are about to file for CR-1, however she (US citizen) has never been in the country that I live in now because she might be refused at the border (lot of reasons). I visit her all the time because I can prove ties to where I live now. Do you think we have a chance of going to interview without issue in this case?

Hi,

if you don't share some of the reasons your wife cannot visit your home country we can't be of help.After living and studying in US you went back home.Did you marry before you went back home? If yes the CO thinks ok you want to get married to a US citizen and receive the benefice as a LPR.That is right,you just need to prove to the CO your love is genuine and bona fide relationship.But what bout her visiting you to meet your family? That is a plus to show ties and commitment between you.Can't she visit any other country close to your home country for both og you to meet/

Well,she really doesn't need to travel to you,you just need to have a strong case to make it through..

Good Luck

NB:I am not an Attorney

May God Bless Us All In This New World.We All Have Come From Afar And We Need The Lord's Guidance For Success.

NB:I am not an Immigration Attorney, All i say here is based on my personal experiences through K-1 visa process and CR1/IR1 visa process.

Timeline

Thanks for the replies. I will be interviewing in Canada where I am a permanent resident. When I left after my school we were already in relationship but we were not married. A year later I went there we got married, and I came back home to pursuit my employment.

Some of reason she might refused at the border is having me as husband in Canada (I get asked that questions also when I am going but I always manage to make my case). Also she is not going to school nor working which proof she doesn't a strong tie to where she live now and the border guys might see as a potential immigrant.

I hope these help a bit.

- Feb 22 2020 - Mailed Application (I-130, I-845....) to Chicago

- April 22 2020 - NOA 1

- June 1 2020 - RFE for I-944

- June 24 2020 - Replied to RFE

- Oct 25 2020 - Fingerprint done

- Nov 9 2020 - Case ready to be scheduled for interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am a USC living in Idaho. I tell the Canadian BP officer I am going to go see my wife in Calgary for a couple weeks (which is always the truth), and it actually seems to speed up my entry. The questions turn from enquiring why, where and who to the do you have any fire arms, etc.

Unless she has some other reasons for not being admitted... and she brings some evidence that she will leave Canada (go back home), she should be fine. I travel to Canada every couple weeks with no problem. She just needs to not say the wrong thing, and be able to show evidence that she has ties in the US.

Your bigger problem in the CR-1 process is the AOS. She has to qualify for supporting you, or get someone to sponsor you.

Good Luck with your visa journey

Edited by JerryShaw

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.