europegirl

fiance visa, why is it taking so long?

32 posts in this topic

Hey You want stress? My fiance in 2006-2007 took 476 days to approval. That's how messed up USCIS was then becuz of IMBRA law.

So don't feel bad or stress out, it's a lot quicker now. You're not even half way to how long we waited. And our friend's took way over 500+ days!!

No joking! It was awful then...

Hope you hear something soon

Gonna try again.

USS Liberty - Not Forgotten

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

"how long does it usually takes? they told me 5 months? :( everyone keeps telling me to be patient and wait...but it has already been 6mths, they told me i might wait another 2-3 months just so it can be approved, then of course by the time he has his interview and all it might be a YEAR :( "

So, why the sudden and unexpected change in normal/average processing times?

When I called USCIS to inquire about the delay (which the USCIS itself recommends if/when your application runs beyond the normal/average time of 5 months) I was told the delay was due to "higher than expected numbers of applicants" overwhelming the system. I am certain this overflow is directly connected to the "executive order" issued by Obama in June of this year (Google it) which grants "children" ("children" up to 30 years old!) of illegal aliens exemption from deportation under existing immigration law. (When you call USCIS the pre-recorded message you hear even states that there is a "special" department newly established to handle all such applicants expeditously) The latest word from USCIS also indicates they are now transferring thousands of cases (as is evident from numerous recent posts here on VJ) to other offices in order to facilitate this huge influx of applicants, is it any surprise that so many legally filed cases are being unduly delayed? "Immigration Reform" my a** !

We who have filed for our loved one's to enter this country legally, and paid the required fees, and secured all of the necessary documents, and waited so very patiently, and jumped through all of the bureaucratic hoops, and literally placed our very lives at the mercy of a system which strictly dictates whether or not our chosen partners are "worthy" of admittance, are being forced to accept these conditions whether we like it or not! All for the sake of political gain!

Welcome to America!

I'm a firm believer in immigration is a priviledge, not a right. And that's about the only thing that I don't appreciate about opening the door to millions of illegals because it's takes away the foundation of immigration only being a priviledge. I believe it's the less complicated matter of collecting more taxes from future permanent residents vs. being illegal and not paying taxes.

Anyways, I am sorry it's taking so long for you. I would add though, processing time goes up and down throughout the year at both service centers. And there are other factors as well. 2 years ago it was TPS. USCIS is fonded by our money through the fees. Some applicants may waive the fee. Unless there's an increase in fees, they won't/can't hire more people to take care of the workload.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.