Foxblood

Importance of being present when fiance goes for interview

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Hello everyone =)

I realize I will not be allowed into the embassy to accompany my fiance to her interview but is it important that I be with her in China at that time anyway?

After she receives K1 Visa approval she needs to give her current job a one month notice before quits her Job. I want to come and pick her up and accompany her entrance to the United States. I cannot be with her both of these times. The total time required for me to take off of work will not be possible!

Are her chances reduced if I am not in China with her at the time of her interview? What are your opinions?

When they ask her "where is your fiance now" and she state that I am in the United States but will be coming to pick her up cause any issues?

Thanks again for the excellent advice.

Edited by Foxblood

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I am in the same situation. My fiance and I discussed it and decided I should come after she gets her visa so we can travel here together. Several say they think it helps but many have been sucessful without being there. I wrote a letter of our relationship evolution (EVO)and mentioned why I could not be there but would come to China to travel home with her. I think if she is confident in the relationship and you provide good proof of an on going relationship you will be fine, that's what I'm hopeing for.

Timeline

I am in the same situation. My fiance and I discussed it and decided I should come after she gets her visa so we can travel here together. Several say they think it helps but many have been sucessful without being there. I wrote a letter of our relationship evolution (EVO)and mentioned why I could not be there but would come to China to travel home with her. I think if she is confident in the relationship and you provide good proof of an on going relationship you will be fine, that's what I'm hopeing for.

Thank you for the response and for providing the good idea. I had not thought of writing an EVO and writing why I cannot attend the interview with her =)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hello everyone =)

I realize I will not be allowed into the embassy to accompany my fiance to her interview but is it important that I be with her in China at that time anyway?

After she receives K1 Visa approval she needs to give her current job a one month notice before quits her Job. I want to come and pick her up and accompany her entrance to the United States. I cannot be with her both of these times. The total time required for me to take off of work will not be possible!

Are her chances reduced if I am not in China with her at the time of her interview? What are your opinions?

When they ask her "where is your fiance now" and she state that I am in the United States but will be coming to pick her up cause any issues?

Thanks again for the excellent advice.

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a recent similar-themed thread:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/391994-couple-of-simple-questions/

I was able to be in Guangzhou with my (now) wife and stepson. I was able to offer personal moral support and coaching for them prior to the interview. Do the EOR as has been previously mentioned by myself and others, including Darnell. There are several recent threads speaking about EOR and the interview process at the GUZ.

Good luck on your visa journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

My wife did hers with no issue, English speaking (even a little) helps mucho in my opinion.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Timeline

My wife did hers with no issue, English speaking (even a little) helps mucho in my opinion.

Yes - she speaks English just as well as Chinese because she has college degree in English language (level 8 in English) and she uses it every single day. I figured that helps but its good to hear other peoples opinions. Thanks for sharing!

Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a recent similar-themed thread:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/391994-couple-of-simple-questions/

I was able to be in Guangzhou with my (now) wife and stepson. I was able to offer personal moral support and coaching for them prior to the interview. Do the EOR as has been previously mentioned by myself and others, including Darnell. There are several recent threads speaking about EOR and the interview process at the GUZ.

Good luck on your visa journey.

Thank you very much for the reply and the link. I guess there is a search function for a reason duh!!! Good to hear that it seems very possible for her to complete the interview without me there =)

Timeline

Thank you very much for the reply and the link. I guess there is a search function for a reason duh!!! Good to hear that it seems very possible for her to complete the interview without me there =)

Lots of the Chinese members have been through the trenches and have done well, you will also.

Timeline

Lots of the Chinese members have been through the trenches and have done well, you will also.

Agree :thumbs:

Timeline

I didn't go

I am thankful that I was able to go. It certainly is a shorter trek from Seattle to Guangzhou, than from your neck of the woods. :thumbs: Though I have to tell you the Guangzhou climate this past June was certainly NOT to my liking. But it's like the old 10cc song, "The Things We Do For Love." :whistle:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

In the EOR, I wouldn't put any explanation as why you can't make the trip. In fact, they won't read the letter. So don't worry about any explanations. All that might help is the letter is written by you, so do get it notarized.

Timeline

Congratulations and good luck, seems like you have it handled.

Filed: IR-2 Country: China
Timeline

I didn't make it to my wife's interview because I had already booked my reservation for 2 weeks after the interview and my vacation time was limited and I stated that in the EOR. My wife also brought my itinerary and the receipt of my flight reservation for proof. Start preparing your wife for the interview, the more comfortable she is with the questions the better off she will be, even though she will be very nervous. Good luck!

07/07/09 : Married

08/18/09: I-130 Sent to Chicago

08/20/09: I-130 Received by USCIS

08/25/09: NOA1

09/22/09: NOA2

10/05/09: Received case# and gave emails

10/07/09: Received DS-3032 and AOS email

10/09/09: Sent DS-3032 email to optin electronic filing

10/15/09: Paid both AOS & IV fees

10/16/09: Received email electronic filing accepted

10/18/09: Sent AOS via email

10/23/09: Received email that AOS was accepted and waiting for IV

10/27/09: Sent IV via email

11/10/09: Signon to payment failure

11/19/09: Received email for interview - December 14th

12/14/09: Approved for Visa

12/16/09: Received Visa

Timeline

In the EOR, I wouldn't put any explanation as why you can't make the trip. In fact, they won't read the letter. So don't worry about any explanations. All that might help is the letter is written by you, so do get it notarized.

I respectfully disagree, my EOR was not notarized, and seems to have received the same amount of attention from the CO as described in your interview review.

My impression is that the EOR is but another puzzle piece of the application puzzle that the CO may use in determining if the relationship is genuine and ongoing. I felt that the EOR merely bolstered the strength of the entire visa application in the eye's of the CO. I know that Darnell recommends to get it notarized. I didn't, got a similar successful result, and spend the $50 on a nice celebratory diinner.

My wife's interview lasted about 10 minutes, a couple of questions, scanned the photos; the CO's final comments were to congratulate her on a successful interview and to wish her happy birthday. The CO had evidently done his homework, my wife didn't go in and announce that it was her birthday, I presume that the CO had previously gleaned that bit of information from our documents. The CO never did ask for any supplemental or corroborating evidence.

IMHO, it is the strength of the entire visa application that is paramount in obtaining a successful conclusion to that phase of the visa journey.

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.