theDOzer40

Bringing my wife to the US from Vietnam

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

So I started a post earlier on a different forum and was told I should post here instead to get a better answer since I'm dealing with Vietnam and that Vietnam is tougher with giving out visas.

What I'm trying to find out is what should I be following? Is there a different protocol when dealing with Vietnam? Is the paperwork is the same or is it different. It seems like this may need a help of an attorney, unless this is something that I can do on my own.

Any help would be appreciated to us. Thanks.

Scenario:

- Filing for my Wife in Vietnam to come to the US

- Married: 8/31

Thanks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

We need a lot more background.

The US consulate in HCMC is a lot tougher than most other consulates as visa fraud is a pretty big problem in Vietnam. The actual paperwork process is pretty much the same, regardless of the consulate. The petition process is described in the K1 guides (click the "Guides" link at the top of any page). When the petition is approved then it will be sent to the consulate, and the consulate will send her an instruction packet describing what documents she needs to submit in order to get a visa interview appointment scheduled. That instruction packet can be found here:

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/hochiminh/714680/shenjy/INSTRUCTION%20PACKAGE%20FOR%20K%20VISA%20APPLICANTS.pdf

Once she has an interview appointment then she'll receive an instruction packet describing what documents and evidence she'll need for the interview. That instruction packet can be found here:

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/vietnam/171343/PDF/APPOINTMENT%20PACKAGE%20FOR%20K%20VISA%20APPLICANTS.pdf

The two areas that cause people the most trouble at the consulate in HCMC are proving that their relationship is bonafide (and not simply an attempt to get a green card), and that the petitioner has sufficient income to qualify as the sponsor of an immigrant.

So, for the background information:

1. When did you meet your wife?

2. How many times have you been to Vietnam?

3. How long did you stay in Vietnam?

4. Did you have a formal engagement ceremony (Dam Hoi or Dinh Hon)? If so, was it on your first trip, second trip, etc.? How many people attended the celebration?

5. Have either you or your wife been married before? If so, how long ago did you divorce?

6. Is she, or are any of her close relatives, communist party members?

7. What sort of evidence do you have to show your relationship is genuine?

Based on your answers we can give more information or ask more questions.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

So I started a post earlier on a different forum and was told I should post here instead to get a better answer since I'm dealing with Vietnam and that Vietnam is tougher with giving out visas.

What I'm trying to find out is what should I be following? Is there a different protocol when dealing with Vietnam? Is the paperwork is the same or is it different. It seems like this may need a help of an attorney, unless this is something that I can do on my own.

Any help would be appreciated to us. Thanks.

Scenario:

- Filing for my Wife in Vietnam to come to the US

- Married: 8/31

Thanks.

Don't just fish for answers, spend some time reading through posts from the last year or so. You'll see lots of different couples with varying "degrees of difficulty" and how they navigated through the consulate to obtain a visa.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello,

Yes the US Consulate in Vietnam is difficult to deal with. We need some more information from you in order to help you further. When did you first meet? Do you or your wife have previous marriages or children?

The first thing you need to do is get more knowledge about the visa process. Please take some time going over the CR1 visa guides. Those guides should tell you what documentation you will need. If you still have questions after reading the guides, please ask them. It is worth noting that this process can be lenghty and frustrating so be patient and dont be afraid to ask questions.

Good luck

K1 Visa Stage
Aug 23, 2010: I-129F NOA 1
Feb 07, 2011: I-129F NOA 2
May 23, 2011: Interview. Blue Slip
Jun 20, 2011: Submit Documents: 1) Timeline, 2) 10 year residency(me), 3) 10 year residency(Thu), 4) Letter explaining how/where we met. Second Blue Slip
Feb 03, 2012: U.S. Consulate Investigators call Thu's residence. Spoke to Thu and Thu's parents
Feb 27, 2012: Received email from the U.S. Consulate that our case is finished processing. Requested to submit updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 06, 2012: Submitted updated Police & Medical papers.
Mar 21, 2012: Received K1 Visa
Apr 07, 2012: Point of Entry @ LAX

Adjustment of Status Stage
Apr 23, 2012: Got married!
Apr 30, 2012: Received Social Security Card
Jun 30, 2012: Applied for AOS
Sep 22, 2012: Received Employment Authorization Card...Still waiting for 2 yr GC

May 01, 2013: Received 2yr GC

Removal of Conditions Stage

Apr 18, 2015: Will apply for 10yr GC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.