Bosco

Links

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Actually its not that outlandish, my brother used to be a born again christian and he wouldn't even watch movies! Are movies considered haram? I never understood why my brother thought so.

Well I didn't mention the "outlandish" things :P

I have read about movies/television being haraam as well... this is not something I have given up though :P

I never heard of any born again christians believing movies are haraam though :unsure:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Actually its not that outlandish, my brother used to be a born again christian and he wouldn't even watch movies! Are movies considered haram? I never understood why my brother thought so.

I have read about movies/television being haraam as well... this is not something I have given up though :P

I never heard of any born again christians believing movies are haraam though :unsure:

Well he didn't give up all movies but watching disney cartoons isn't what I consider a movie. He used to only watch G rated stuff. He has since changed.

I'm surprised at something you said though. I wouldn't think that you out of all people would describe something that you believe as being "God's rules" as outlandish :unsure: I mean if you consider something to be outlandish, then why even do it? Just curious. :star:

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

I'm surprised at something you said though. I wouldn't think that you out of all people would describe something that you believe as being "God's rules" as outlandish :unsure: I mean if you consider something to be outlandish, then why even do it? Just curious. :star:

No, I don't believe any rules in Islam are outlandish... I said the things I used to do were outlandish.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

No, I don't believe any rules in Islam are outlandish... I said the things I used to do were outlandish.

Oh I see, so you think what you used to do what outlandish. I understand now, but I didn't read it that way. Thanks for elaborating. I find it amazing the things people will do and give up in the name of religion. I guess what amazes me is you have 3 major religions, Christianity, Judism, Islam. Everyone follows it in their own way. I was christian, my brother too. I could never figure out how he came to the conclusion that those things are wrong. For you is it written somewhere? Or is it something you learned from one your trusted sources?

I have seen that you have different beliefs about Islam than most of the women here, but this is really a first for me. I have never really understood the concept of "giving up" something like that. How does Islam see this as being beneficial? I mean I can see how you can avoid music (no radio, etc) but how does Yousef? In the middle east its usually blaring everywhere or is it not that way in Libya. I have to admit I don't know very much about Libya. So is this something that is normal there?

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

I can't say I know of any "official" ruling that music is haram, though there could be one. I've also heard that the voice is okay, but that instruments aren't.

I think the reason that people consider music haram is because it can lead people to do things which are haram.

Allah tries his chosen people through many hardships, but those who persevere through adversity, surrendering themselves before the will of Allah, shall be blessed with a superb reward.

-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Anas bin Malik

A time will come when the sky is torn apart; when the stars scatter, and the ocean drains away; and when the graves are tossed about, and laid open. At that time every man will be told what he has done, and what he has failed to do; and every woman will be told what she has done, and what she has failed to do.

-Qur'an, Al-Infitar, Surah 82:1-5

Oh I see, so you think what you used to do what outlandish. I understand now, but I didn't read it that way. Thanks for elaborating. I find it amazing the things people will do and give up in the name of religion. I guess what amazes me is you have 3 major religions, Christianity, Judism, Islam. Everyone follows it in their own way. I was christian, my brother too. I could never figure out how he came to the conclusion that those things are wrong. For you is it written somewhere? Or is it something you learned from one your trusted sources?

Yes this is true for all religions.... it comes down to what you believe. My dad is a christian preacher but he doesn't preach what most other preachers like him do... some of the new things he's preaching lately even have me looking back in my bible like :huh: where did you see that? LOL

I have seen that you have different beliefs about Islam than most of the women here, but this is really a first for me. I have never really understood the concept of "giving up" something like that. How does Islam see this as being beneficial? I mean I can see how you can avoid music (no radio, etc) but how does Yousef? In the middle east its usually blaring everywhere or is it not that way in Libya. I have to admit I don't know very much about Libya. So is this something that is normal there?

It's hard to avoid music here too... it's in the gas station and pretty much any store we walk into.

Music is very popular in Libya and he says it's the same there as here and when I talk to him in the internet cafe I can hear other people listening to music there too... he works sometimes in the cafe so he just has to let them listen and he can't really say anything since they're the customer.

We actually gave this up together which has made it a little easier for both of us. It's nice having someone who shares your beliefs so closely to go through these things with you. We have both grown a lot in our beliefs since we married because we both remind each other and go through things together.

As far as why I believe music is haram I could find an article about it if you like but my understanding of it is that in this verse

[031:006] And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music) to mislead (men) from the path of Allâh without knowledge, and takes it (the path of Allâh, or the Verses of the Qur'ân) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment (in the Hell-fire).

idle talks refers to music and in this hadith

Narrated Abu 'آmir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari that he heard the Prophet [sal-Allâhu 'alayhi wa sallam] saying: "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks, and the use of musical instruments as lawful. And (from them), there will be some who will stay near the side of a mountain, and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him: 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allâh will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs; and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection." [sahih Al-Bukhari, 7/5590 (O.P.494B)]

it is said they will regard the use of musical instruments as lawful which must mean it's not lawful to begin with.

There is also another hadith in which it was mentioned that some men were dancing preforming while the prophet watched and Abu Bakr came in and protested "musical instruments of shaytaan in the house of the prophet!" and the prophet told him to leave them alone because it was their eid. I dont' have a reference for this right now but the point I get here is that he didn't object to Abu Bakr calling them instruments of shaytan... just that it's eid and for him to chill out.

From what I've read of it they were using the duff and this give us persmission to use the duff today for eids but not at other times and only the duff.

The other thing is that we should have the Quran in our hearts at all times and not replace it with music that distracts our minds from the rememberence of Allah.

I understand others don't interpret these things the same way or may believe the ahadeeth are weak but it's the opinion I follow.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

My cousins are Christian. When we were kids, they were forbidden to dance, listen to music, or watch any movies, regardless of the rating.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

My cousins are Christian. When we were kids, they were forbidden to dance, listen to music, or watch any movies, regardless of the rating.

I'm just curious.... what denomination? If you know.

These things were encouraged in our house growing up :lol:

My paternal grandmother is Church of God and they're pretty strict but they had music in the church... I never remember her watching TV or listening to any music other than gospel though.

Timeline

www.mazikana.com

thank you my cat

http://music-rai.tk/

je suis la mon cat

www.imindonit.new.fr

www.chtoukamusic.max.st

www.amizmiz.max.st

www.imurig.net

www.tfolki-lokt.c.la

www.housnikte.max.st

www.berberino.max.st

www.adarr.ifrance.com

www.nadormp3.com

www.rifamazigh.com

www.mocros.nl

www.massazik.6x.to

www.marocrif.tk

www.talsinnt.co.nr

www.chinee.fr.nf

www.agraw.com

i m so sorry but i know that's a lot hehehe

Jamie loves Mona forever.

.png

ticker.png

9/2/2005 Met online.

7/21/2006 Together in Morocco for 10 days.

9/16/2006 Mailed I-129F

9/27/2006 NOA1.

10/1/2006 Touched.

Timeline

I'm just curious.... what denomination? If you know.

These things were encouraged in our house growing up :lol:

My paternal grandmother is Church of God and they're pretty strict but they had music in the church... I never remember her watching TV or listening to any music other than gospel though.

They were or are Baptist, but I am not sure if they are Southern Baptist or something else. I'm also not sure if this was something just the family felt strongly about or whether most people in their church felt the same. I did not grow up near them or in their denomination. I do think some things changed as they got older. This was 30 years ago.

C'est qui ton chat?

C'est moi :blush:

I'm the USC.

Timeline

Jamie loves Mona forever.

.png

ticker.png

9/2/2005 Met online.

7/21/2006 Together in Morocco for 10 days.

9/16/2006 Mailed I-129F

9/27/2006 NOA1.

10/1/2006 Touched.

Timeline

Various Arabic and other channels on the left::

http://www.nemdil.com/

2M is also live here:

http://www.startimes2.com/user.aspx?id=233...Y_MARRAKCHI.htm

I'm the USC.

I grew up Independent Baptist and we weren't allowed to do any of the things mentioned plus quite a few more - girls couldn't wear pants - only skirts and "coullottes" (sp?). We couldn't swim with the opposite sex, listen to any music other than church and patriotic music (my dad freaked once when he found a cassette of Shaun Cassidy in the tape player I had borrowed to study my Spanish tapes with!).

We never knew if we would be celebrating Christmas any given year because some years our dad (a preacher) would decide that Christmas was a pagan holiday and he wasn't having it in his house. We didn't have a TV in the house until I started high school (1976) and even then it was just a 13" black & white, and our father chose what we were allowed to watch. I found this last rule to be such a hypocritical joke because we weren't allowed to watch Little House on the Prarie because Pa had long hair (also against our religion for a man) but we were allowed to watch Dukes of Hazard so our dad could watch Daisy parade around half naked.

Movies were forbidden because they came from the center of Satan's playground - Hollywood. Of course alcohol, tobacco, and gambling were evil too.

My freshman year of high school I went to a Wesleyan Holiness Christian school, and they were even stricter! They didn't allow music. Females weren't allowed to cut their hair, wear jewelry or makeup, and had to wear long sleeves and skirts that came below their knees. The last rule applied throughout high school, even in Baptist schools. We had a test where we had to kneel on the floor, and if our skirt didn't touch it, we had to go home and change.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.