MajorFaff

So utterly confused with this process (I-130 approved)

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

OK.. so here's the deal:

Me: UK Citizen (currently in the UK)

Her: US Citizen (Currently in US)

So far: We have filed the I-130 and it has been approved. I have filed a DS-3032 via email, and my wife has sent a hard copy of this with my signature. At present I am awaiting a response for the DS-3032.

But from then on it just gets confusing because...

A) In emails, they say they have sent us 'a packet' after the I-130 and the $88 were paid... and when that didn't arrive they say they have sent us a 'duplicate packet', which also never arrived to my wife in the US. Was this meant to contain all the info we needed?

B) There are just no clear guides on the actual process. There is talk of IV packages, and AOS fees, but I can never seem to narrow down what these actually are (AoS = $88 Affadavit of Support fee I assume?). Importantly, even the official instructions from the gov are confusing... they don't state what you are meant to send and when.

"WHEN" do I send in the I-864? What should I put with it, is it meant to include the DS-230?

"WHAT" is meant to be included with the DS-230 and when do I send it? After the DS-3032 has been approved?

Honesty.. right now... we are so utterly confused and very stressed over this. I have been apart from my wife one year now. Please.. don't just say "read the guide"... I HAVE read the guide, and it's still not clear, when to send items :-( (Some of the info is out of date as well).

Edited by MajorFaff

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Packets typically go to the intending immigrant.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Timeline

Thank you for the link.

I have not been sent anything in the post.

When are we meant to send the I-864, now? Whilst waiting for the DS-3032 to be completed? (We have paid the AoS processing fee and had it marked PAID)

Edited by MajorFaff

You need Saylin! ;)

Join her thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/386421-nvc-filers-september-2012/

You can send the AOS packet (the I-864 and supporting documents) now. Make sure you print off the barcoded payment receipt.

By the way, I was the beneficiary and I didn't get anything through the post at any point. I looked at the payment portal every day (multiple times a day!) - and followed Saylin's guides and advice of course.

Good luck - not long now.

PS IV stands for Interview - it's all the forms and civil documents.

Edited by cathy2904

01/27/2011 - Trevor's N400 submitted
02/18/2011 - Married
04/02/2011 - NOA1 hard copy received - priority date 03/30/2011
07/08/2011 - Trevor is now a USC - called USCIS to request upgrade of the petition.
08/02/2011 - NOA2
09/08/2011 - LND case number received, medical booked
09/26/2011 - Case complete at NVC
09/30/2011 - Interview date assigned
11/08/2011 - Interview - approved!!
11/10/2011 - Visa in hand
12/04/2011 - POE in Atlanta
12/12/2011 - SSN number received in mail
12/12/2011 - Welcome notice received
01/06/2012 - Green card received
09/06/2013 - File for Removal of Conditions
10/01/2013 - Biometrics for ROC
02/03/2014 - Card production email received

02/17/2014 - 2nd card production email received

02/28/2014 - 10 year Green card received

Timeline

You need Saylin! ;)

Join her thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/386421-nvc-filers-september-2012/

You can send the AOS packet (the I-864 and supporting documents) now. Make sure you print off the barcoded payment receipt.

By the way, I was the beneficiary and I didn't get anything through the post at any point. I looked at the payment portal every day (multiple times a day!) - and followed Saylin's guides and advice of course.

Good luck - not long now.

PS IV stands for Interview - it's all the forms and civil documents.

Thank you :-)

I-864.. I just went through the 'payments' screens again and looked in the receipt section, and discovered 'the next steps' bit which actually says we now need to do the AoS and supporting documetns (d'oh!). Really not sure how we missed that. I won't forget the barcode cover sheet.. in fact, I am pretty certain I sent two copies of that to my wife already!

I will look at saylin's thread :-)

With regard to the IV : So basically I don't have to send off all those police stuff etc? I just need to send off the DS-230, and then when the interview happens, take all the supporting stuff with me? (i.e. police check etc.). So I don't need to send the police check, but take it in?

Edited by MajorFaff

Thank you :-)

I-864.. I just went through the 'payments' screens again and looked in the receipt section, and discovered 'the next steps' bit which actually says we now need to do the AoS and supporting documetns (d'oh!). Really not sure how we missed that. I won't forget the barcode cover sheet.. in fact, I am pretty certain I sent two copies of that to my wife already!

I will look at saylin's thread :-)

With regard to the IV : So basically I don't have to send off all those police stuff etc? I just need to send off the DS-230, and then when the interview happens, take all the supporting stuff with me? (i.e. police check etc.). So I don't need to send the police check, but take it in?

No, you do have to send all the original civil documents and the Police Certificate to NVC. They should return them to you at the interview but tNVC has to 'pass' the package before they close your case and assign an interview date. If you fail to send something they may just ask you to bring it to the interview but it is more likely that they will send you an RFE.

01/27/2011 - Trevor's N400 submitted
02/18/2011 - Married
04/02/2011 - NOA1 hard copy received - priority date 03/30/2011
07/08/2011 - Trevor is now a USC - called USCIS to request upgrade of the petition.
08/02/2011 - NOA2
09/08/2011 - LND case number received, medical booked
09/26/2011 - Case complete at NVC
09/30/2011 - Interview date assigned
11/08/2011 - Interview - approved!!
11/10/2011 - Visa in hand
12/04/2011 - POE in Atlanta
12/12/2011 - SSN number received in mail
12/12/2011 - Welcome notice received
01/06/2012 - Green card received
09/06/2013 - File for Removal of Conditions
10/01/2013 - Biometrics for ROC
02/03/2014 - Card production email received

02/17/2014 - 2nd card production email received

02/28/2014 - 10 year Green card received

I never got anything in the post from the NVC either and neither did my wife. We are at the stage now where we are waiting for the case to close and for NVC to send me an interview date.

We had to gather all our information from this site, the NVC website and Department of State website. Between the 3 of them, we worked out exactly what to do. It takes a lot of research to work out your own case. We also found by ringing the NVC when things seem to drag on after each step, that action is taken the next day and they are quite helpful.

All of our paperwork, forms and instructions were downloaded from the sites and I sent all my completed forms and civil documents to my wife so she can overnight them to the NVC when the time was right.

It was very frustrating to figure it all out on our own and we are grateful for this forum to find many answers that we needed.

I say keep researching this forum and the other 2 sites and you will eventually find your answers.

Ant.

Timeline

Good thing you posted again with more information this time. I remember reading it before.

As long as you provided them with email addresses for yourself and your wife you dont usually get anything from them through the regular post office mail. I think that is where your confusion started because you were expecting to get stuff that way. All 'Packets" or information received will be email. You will also have to download all the forms from their website as well.

Saylin really explains it very well and it has helped all of us.

I hope things go smoothly from now on. You could have already had your case completed and interview scheduled if it was not for that. Good luck.

Petitioner LPR upgraded to USC June 22, 2012
August 22, 2012: case complete
October 18, 2012: Interview (APPROVED)
October 26, 2012: Picked up visa from DHL (delay caused by Sandy)
December 15, 2012: POE Atlanta....................became USC July 2016!!!!

Mothers' Journey (My sister is the petitioner)

September 10, 2013: Sent I-130 (UPS next day service)

September 12, 2013: Received text to confirm delivery

September 16, 2013: Received NOA 1

March 22, 2014: Received NOA 2

April 8, 2014: File Received by NVC

May 26, 2015: Interview (approved)..........now LPR (delays caused by 2 RFE)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.