Page17

Criminal convictions- Any Hope?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm an English guy dating an American girl for about 4 years now

She has flown over here once a year every year to be with me for upto a month at a time

It has been a huge strain on us both but we love each other and recently got engaged

My issue is that i cannot enter the United States because i have a criminal record

I have also served a sentence of more than 5 years in prison for robbery and burglary when i was a teenager

I'm almost 30 years old now and haven't broken a single law in 5 years (12 if prison time inc)

However after looking at possible K1 application info i read this

Criminal history may prevent you from being able to obtain a visa to enter the U.S. Crimes of moral turpitude, defined as an act that is contrary to justice, honesty or good morals, will make you inadmissible to the U.S. Any drug-related offense will make an alien inadmissible. Multiple crimes, in which the alien was sentenced to five or more years in prison, will make one inadmissible.

Do i have any other options available so i can live with her in the USA?

My fiance stated she wasn't willing to live over here in the UK since she has a career she worked hard to secure in the USA

If not i guess our relationship will be over and i'm feeling so depressed right now about this because she is my soul mate

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** Moving from K1 to Waivers forum as this is what the OP would need****

OP, give it some time. Everyone here has lives and it may take several hours or even a day or two to get answers.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

this is a case for a good immigration lawyer.....but have you all thought about the USC moving to the UK to live with you? #justsaying

AOS

10/16/2012 Mailed I-485, I-765, I-131
10/19/2012 NOA1
11/09/2012 Biometrics Apt @ 3pm
12/25/2012 EAD/AP Approval
01/05/2013 Received EAD/AP in mail

06/20/2013 AOS APPROVED!!!!!

LIFTING OF CONDITIONS

3/23/15 Mailed I-751

3/25/15 NOA1

3/28/15 NOA1 Received in the Mail

4/28/15 Biometrics Apt.

11/13/15 ROC Approved

11/18/15 Approval Letter Received

Filed: Timeline

have you all thought about the USC moving to the UK to live with you? #justsaying

My fiance stated she wasn't willing to live over here in the UK since she has a career she worked hard to secure in the USA

OP, I am very sorry for your situation. Immigration is one of those areas where past mistakes will always haunt you. Your situation is thus very complicated unfortunately, and will a require a very convincing waiver at the least. This is mostly a DIY forum, and your case honestly will not be DIY. I would stop over at www.immigrate2us.net - they deal more specifically with waivers and inadmissibility.

I would also discuss the matter with a qualified immigration lawyer close to where your girlfriend lives.

Is there hope, yes, but nothing is guaranteed. This will depend on your circumstances and your gf's circumstances. If you were a minor when you committed the crime you were imprisoned for, they may go more lenient on you.

Edited by jaejayC

• 8 months later...

i think you can still get it will just be harder. there are exception clauses and one fo them is "(I) the crime was committed when the alien was under 18 years of age, and the crime was committed (and the alien released from any confinement to a prison or correctional institution imposed for the crime) more than 5 years before the date of application for a visa or other documentation and the date of application for admission to the United States, or" it's act 212

http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-29/0-0-0-2006.html

anyways you would have to go through filing an i-601 waiver

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** closing zombie thread- it's generally useless to reply to posts more than a couple of months old unless you are the OP providing an update ****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.