ZeroGravity

Could I apply for a H-2B visa?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi. Im currently looking to find some way to go out and extend my stay in the US to be with a girl friend/soon-to-be-fiencee. Have applyed to a couple of US recrutement agencies, so far nothing yet, still hoping thought.

Im really trying to cover all bases here.

I have been working for the last 5 years in a tv/cable/sat provider and information call center, I know something like that would proberly classed as tempory or seasonal work wanting to know if this is the case, and if so would I be able to get a job with in this feild.

Has anyone else applyed for a H-2B visa in the past?

How was it for you?

What did you do?

Will still keep looking, but any info would be gratefull. Thanks

~ZG~

Hi. Im currently looking to find some way to go out and extend my stay in the US to be with a girl friend/soon-to-be-fiencee. Have applyed to a couple of US recrutement agencies, so far nothing yet, still hoping thought.

Im really trying to cover all bases here.

I have been working for the last 5 years in a tv/cable/sat provider and information call center, I know something like that would proberly classed as tempory or seasonal work wanting to know if this is the case, and if so would I be able to get a job with in this feild.

Has anyone else applyed for a H-2B visa in the past?

How was it for you?

What did you do?

Will still keep looking, but any info would be gratefull. Thanks

~ZG~

I've replied to you separately in the UK forum, but a quick google search of the USCIS website shows the rules for H2B visas:

Click here

Who May Qualify for H-2B Classification?

To qualify for H-2B nonimmigrant classification, the petitioner must establish that:

1. There are not enough U.S. workers who are able, willing, qualified, and available to do the temporary work.

2. The employment of H-2B workers will not adversely affect the wages and working conditions of similarly employed U.S. workers.

3. Its need for the prospective workers services or labor is temporary, regardless of whether the underlying job can be described as temporary. The employers need is considered temporary if it is a(n):

- one-time occurrence A petitioner claiming a one-time occurrence must show that it has:

Not employed workers to perform the service or labor in the past, and will not need workers to perform the services or labor in the future; or

An employment situation that is otherwise permanent, but a temporary event of short duration has created the need for a temporary worker.

or

- seasonal need A petitioner claiming a seasonal need must show that the service or labor for which it seeks workers is:

Traditionally tied to a season of the year by an event or pattern; and

Of a recurring nature.

Note: Employment is not seasonal if the period during which the service or labor is needed is: Unpredictable; Subject to change; or Considered a vacation period for the employer's permanent employees.

or

- peakload need A petitioner claiming a peakload need must show that it:

Regularly employs permanent workers to perform the services or labor at the place of employment;

Needs to temporarily supplement its permanent staff at the place of employment due to a seasonal or short-term demand; and

The temporary additions to staff will not become part of the employer's regular operation.

or

- intermittent need A petitioner claiming an intermittent need must show that it:

Has not employed permanent or full-time workers to perform the services or labor; and

Occasionally or intermittently needs temporary workers to perform services or labor for short periods.

I'd guess the call centre work you mention would struggle to qualify on points one or three, and it would need to qualify on all three.

Edited by Owen_London

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Forget the work visa, if you want to stay you have an obvious option.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.