JerryShaw

Medical Exam in the US before Montreal Interview?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My wife has her interview on Oct 9th in Montreal.

Is it possible to get her medical done here in the US instead of in Montreal ?

If so, is there a list of certified phyiscians that can do this ?

She is currently visiting here in the US, so getting the medical done (in the Spokane area) would help a lot. As it is, we are going to have to get to Montreal early (Oct 2nd) to get the medical results done by Friday (3 day lead time). Oct 8 (Monday) is a holiday. I have to rent a room for 9 nights in Montreal $$$ because of the time it takes to get the medical results, and the holiday falling in the same time frame.

Thanks in Advance

Edited by JerryShaw

Timeline

No, she has to have her medical in Montreal

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess you really mean .. it has to be done in Canada? (there are three locations in Canada for medicals).

BTW, is there some documentation that verifies what you are saying? Just would like to know for sure

Thanks katchoo12

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Can the medical examination take place in the United States if the applicant is pursuing a visa application abroad while physically present in the United States?

Visa medical examinations may not be conducted in the United States. An alien pursuing a visa application abroad while physically present in the United States must have the medical examination conducted by a panel physician approved by the visa issuing U.S. Embassy/Consulate.

From here : http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3745.html#_Can_the_medical_1

Good luck!

Timeline

Can the medical examination take place in the United States if the applicant is pursuing a visa application abroad while physically present in the United States?

Visa medical examinations may not be conducted in the United States. An alien pursuing a visa application abroad while physically present in the United States must have the medical examination conducted by a panel physician approved by the visa issuing U.S. Embassy/Consulate.

From here : http://travel.state....n_the_medical_1

Good luck!

Thanks Sweetcheeksss,

I am sticking with my Exam scheduled in Montreal on Oct 2nd.

During my checking, I looked up the USCIS list of approved Civil Surgeons that can do this for the Visa process.

I then talked to a few of those listed Civil Surgeons in the Spokane area, and they all informed me that they do perform Visa exams all the time. The cost is the same as what I will pay in Montreal (+/- $10)

I also talked to NVC which said it is really up to the consulate you are interviewing through if they will accept the exam documents from a US Civil Surgeon. Since it seems to take an act of congress to get someone from the Montreal Embassy on the phone, I could not research this any further. When I am in Montreal, I will certainly broach the subject with one of the agents. I expect they will say it has to be done in Canada... but either way, I will report my findings back here after the interview.

The wording in the document you provided does state "must have the medical examination conducted by a panel physician approved by the visa issuing U.S. Embassy/Consulate." ... so my question to the Montreal Embassy will be for a list of their approved panel physicians, and if they will accept one from the USA. Can't hurt to ask, and maybe it will help a future VJ'er.

Thanks,

Jerry

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks Sweetcheeksss,

I am sticking with my Exam scheduled in Montreal on Oct 2nd.

During my checking, I looked up the USCIS list of approved Civil Surgeons that can do this for the Visa process.

I then talked to a few of those listed Civil Surgeons in the Spokane area, and they all informed me that they do perform Visa exams all the time. The cost is the same as what I will pay in Montreal (+/- $10)

I also talked to NVC which said it is really up to the consulate you are interviewing through if they will accept the exam documents from a US Civil Surgeon. Since it seems to take an act of congress to get someone from the Montreal Embassy on the phone, I could not research this any further. When I am in Montreal, I will certainly broach the subject with one of the agents. I expect they will say it has to be done in Canada... but either way, I will report my findings back here after the interview.

The wording in the document you provided does state "must have the medical examination conducted by a panel physician approved by the visa issuing U.S. Embassy/Consulate." ... so my question to the Montreal Embassy will be for a list of their approved panel physicians, and if they will accept one from the USA. Can't hurt to ask, and maybe it will help a future VJ'er.

Thanks,

Jerry

It's all in packet 4

Medycis

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to Canada regional forum; topic is country specific.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/medical/MTL-MED-ENGL-0011-1207.pdf

Medical examinations must be performed by one of the specially-appointed panel physicians listed below on page five.

If I had a choice I'd hop across the border and find one in Montana...however as stated above it's not an option.

Filed: Timeline

Panel Physicians are located in Canada and are part of the visa approval process. Civil surgeons are in the US and are for the adjustment of status process, which is after the visa has been approved and endorsed. Civil Surgeons are woefully ignorant of the immigration process and their role in it, so please take what they say with a grain of salt.

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You have to do the medical exam in Canada, which means you can do it. in either British Columbia (I think the office used to be in Vancouver but it might have moved recently), Toronto or Montreal.

Timeline

You have to do the medical exam in Canada, which means you can do it. in either British Columbia (I think the office used to be in Vancouver but it might have moved recently), Toronto or Montreal.

It's now in Surrey (which is a part of the Greater Vancouver region but also a city in its own right). The site is drcheema.ca

:)

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.