SAMyTAM

Evidence of Support I-134 or I-864 - tax returns or current income?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hello,

I've searched the forum and couldn't find anything on this specific problem.

I am in the process of sending our K-1 papers to the consulate for approval (necessary to make an appointment). Since I only worked part time in Argentina last year my tax returns for 2011 (which I've JUST filed)are below the 125% poverty guidelines. I am making well over the 125% since July this year, and have pay stubs, letter from employer, and bank records to prove it.

1) My 2011 income was basically nothing

2) My current income at my job pays well above the minimum (which I can prove)

3) I was hired 3 months ago and am in good standing, full time

My question is: do they determine support based on previous year tax returns, or current income?

I don't want to expose my father's assets (by asking him to be a joint sponsor) if it is not necessary.

Thanks!

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

I am in the process of sending our K-1 papers to the consulate for approval (necessary to make an appointment). Since I only worked part time in Argentina last year my tax returns for 2011 (which I've JUST filed)are below the 125% poverty guidelines. I am making well over the 125% since July this year, and have pay stubs, letter from employer, and bank records to prove it.

My question is: do they determine support based on previous year tax returns, or current income?

I don't want to expose my father's assets (by asking him to be a joint sponsor) if it is not necessary.

Thanks!

As far as I know it is current.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hello,

Thanks!

This is what the Embassy in Buenos Aires requests as Evidence of Support:

15. (___) EVIDENCE OF SUPPORT: You must submit any evidence which will show that you and members of your family who will accompany you are not likely to become public charges while in the United States. Visa petitioner (US Citizen) will have to complete form I-134. If the petitioner does not qualify as a sponsor, a Joint-Sponsor should ALSO be presented (any US Citizen living in the US or Legal Permanent Resident), who will also have to complete form I-134. Both, the Sponsor (Petitioner) as well as the Joint-Sponsor, will have to present last year’s income tax return and proof of current and sustainable income (e.g letter of employment on letterhead including salary and start date, most recent salary receipts, bank accounts, value of properties)

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

HI all, I am in a very similar situation as SAMyTAM. Does anyone else have any experience with this?

I am currently making enough money but since I was living and working in Argentina for the past 2 years I was not making enough money last year. I would also prefer to not have a co-sponsor but wondering what other people's experience are?

THANKS!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

I was in a similar position and had to have a co-sponsor. I worked in Haiti in 2011, earning below the 125% poverty level. I earn well-above the minimum requirement now, but because of the 2011 taxes and because I started my current job in July, I needed a co-sponsor. You can try to submit the I-134 on your own, and the embassy will tell you if you need a co-sponsor. That's what happened in my situation.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.