Dani89

So Here's our Plan...

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello! I'm new to the site so bear with me. :)

I'm a US citizen and my partner is from the UK. Right now we're currently traveling in New Zealand for a year so we could get away together. We've got about 6 months left of our travels, but we wanted to get a game plan for our visas ahead of time!!!

So here's our plan and I just want to know if you all think it will work out okay. We're thinking of going to the US together, my partner on a visitors visa. While we're there I will petition for his K1 visa. Then he was going to stay until either the petition is accepted or his time expires (whichever comes first). Then we will fly to the UK to apply for his K1. I'll be able to stay there as a visitor for up to 6 months. Once he sends off his visa and we wait for his interview etc we thought we would go visit Germany for a few weeks then return to the UK and see where we're at in everything. Basically we really want to avoid being apart for as long as we can. I've been in long distance relationship for 3 years before and it really sucks!

I know all the going back and forth we will need to provide evidence for the border officers that we aren't planning to marry and stay illegally, that's fine.

I do also have a couple questions!

1. Do I (The US citizen) need to attend the interview as well? Or is it just for my UK partner?

2. Do I need to send off the Affidavit of Support Form I-134? Or does my partner just need to provide this at his interview?

and If I do need to send it off, how long does it usually take for the notary?

I hope I've made sense! It's a bit hard to remember all the forms and everything without all the information sitting in front of me. Visas are such a headache. I've had to do 3 student visas before in the UK and it's all such a long stressful process. We just want to be together and finally get settled somewhere! :/

Thanks for you time everyone x

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

1. Do I (The US citizen) need to attend the interview as well? Or is it just for my UK partner?

No, not mandated.

2. Do I need to send off the Affidavit of Support Form I-134? Or does my partner just need to provide this at his interview?

This is provided when your fiance goes for the actual K1 interview. About 6-9 months after filing I-129F petition. (How are you going to provide financial requirements for I-134 when you are traveling and not working? You will need a co-sponsor)

Here is a link to the K1 guide

Here is a link to the K1 Flowchart

Hope this will help..

Good Luck.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Filed: Timeline

I'm a US citizen and my partner is from the UK. Right now we're currently traveling in New Zealand for a year so we could get away together. We've got about 6 months left of our travels, but we wanted to get a game plan for our visas ahead of time!!!

So here's our plan and I just want to know if you all think it will work out okay. We're thinking of going to the US together, my partner on a visitors visa. While we're there I will petition for his K1 visa. Then he was going to stay until either the petition is accepted or his time expires (whichever comes first). Then we will fly to the UK to apply for his K1. I'll be able to stay there as a visitor for up to 6 months. Once he sends off his visa and we wait for his interview etc we thought we would go visit Germany for a few weeks then return to the UK and see where we're at in everything. Basically we really want to avoid being apart for as long as we can. I've been in long distance relationship for 3 years before and it really sucks!

I know all the going back and forth we will need to provide evidence for the border officers that we aren't planning to marry and stay illegally, that's fine.

I hope I've made sense! It's a bit hard to remember all the forms and everything without all the information sitting in front of me. Visas are such a headache. I've had to do 3 student visas before in the UK and it's all such a long stressful process. We just want to be together and finally get settled somewhere! :/

Gowon is green with envy and recommends that other young couples take note.

Wishing you the best of luck on all your future journeys.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The only flag that comes to mind is that you (the US citizen) is going to have to be able to prove domicile in the US. It comes up a lot on the Canadian forums with people filing for IR-1 visas, but (unless it's an embassy specific thing that I've misunderstood) K1's need to show where they'll be living when they arrive in the US as well. (I know it was a question on all the DS forms that I just filled out for packet 3)

So as long as you've got yourself covered in that way, and you've thought about the I-134 forms for affidavit of support, I think you'll be ok. (And I'm jealous of all the awesome traveling that you get to do with your fiance!

Ex27m5.png MbP5m4.png

VJsig.jpg

How about sending the petition before you return to the US. Then the bulk of the wait time will happen while you're together in NZ. If you don't have your US birth certificate on you, you can prove your citizenship with a photocopy of all pages of your passport. This is assuming you have some kind of permanent address you can list in the US like parents. You haven't moved from the US and given up residency, but are just on holiday. You can check online to know if you got a request for additional evidence or petition approval. Even with approval, you still have a wait for the London wheels to turn.

Edit: also find out about getting a police certificate for him from NZ because of the time spent in that country. He will take it to his interview in London.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thank you all so much!! Fortunately my parents will be the co-sponsors for us while I am unemployed, and we will be staying at their address for the time being. :) aahhh, it feels so good to have confidence in our plan now!

This site is like a godsend.

No, not mandated.

This is provided when your fiance goes for the actual K1 interview. About 6-9 months after filing I-129F petition. (How are you going to provide financial requirements for I-134 when you are traveling and not working? You will need a co-sponsor)

Here is a link to the K1 guide

Here is a link to the K1 Flowchart

Hope this will help..

Good Luck.

This flowchart has been amazing help. Thank you so much x

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Jealous beyond words! I WISH I could travel with my fiance like that!

Wish you the best of luck! Enjoy it while you can!

2011 - Met online
2012/05/03 - Started "Dating"
2012/06/27-07/16 -
Met in Haiti/got engaged
2012/08/20 - I-129F Sent
2012/08/28-09/05 -
Second trip to Haiti
2012/08/28 - I-129F NOA1
2012/08/29 - Check Cashed
2012/08/31 - NOA1 Hard Copy Received
2012/09/05 - NOA2 (I-129F)
2012/09/10 - Emailed U.S. Embassy in Haiti for Packet 3.
2012/09/10 - NVC Received
2012/09/10 - NOA2 Hard-Copy
2012/09/11 - Called NVC to check status, told fiance's DOB is wrong, but it's right on both application forms. They said send birth cert & passport.
2012/09/13 - Submitted DS-156 online & printed copies (& emailed to both of us).
2012/09/14 - Emailed scanned copies of original application, birth cert & passport to NVC.
2012/09/14 - Called & insisted they fix THEIR mistake. Message forwarded to supervisor. Got an email within 30 minutes; fixed! Called & confirmed.
2012/09/19 - Still in AP (Administrative/Additional Processing)... waiting...
2012/09/25 - Left NVC
2013/01/08/18 -
Third trip to Haiti
2013/01/17 - K1 Visa Denied (he had been given a fake death certificate for his first wife who was killed in the 2010 earthquake)
2013/03/05-20 -
Fourth trip to Haiti
2013/03/14 - Got Married in Port au Prince

2013/08/11-22 - Fifth trip to Haiti

2014/01/26-02/12 - Sixth trip to Haiti

2014/03/12-15 - Seventh trip to Haiti

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.