danae

Been doing alot of thinking.....

16 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Well these past few weeks I have been really feeling like I want to return to the UK. With my being pregnany with my first child, I want my mum around, and I really dont feel as though the USA has anything to offer me. :( Except of course my husband- who will be coming with me!! :D

I have been looking at a few sites with regards to the immigration process getting him- and the child- to the UK, but I would really love to hear from anyone who has personal experience, or knows more about the process. Ideally I would give birth in the UK, so I am only taking one USC to the UK and not 2, but time restraints really arent gonig to make such a quick move possible. We have our 3 fur babies to consider, and I know the process of getting them to the UK very well, and that will take at least 7-8 months to be able to do without them having to go into quarantine over there- which I really dont want!

So...it looks as though the baby will be born a USC, but is it gonig to cause many more problems trying to get the both over?

I have also been reading that the USC's lose their US citizenship in moving out of the states- is that really true???

ANY advice or info will be greatly appreciated. I feel we have a HUGE mountain to climb, and its quite overwhelming at this point :(

Laura :luv:

I have also been reading that the USC's lose their US citizenship in moving out of the states- is that really true???

Where did you read that? It's absolutely false.

Could you please post a link to where you read that?

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I would also like to know where that came from, from what I know once an American always and American, unless the American renounces their citizenship, and naturalizes in another country.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Yes I read it here- britainusa

From the article:

'Although acquisition or use of US citizenship does not of itself jeopardise retention of British citizenship, and there is not objection on the part of British authorities to a dual citizen using a US passport, it should not be assumed that the reverse is also true. A US citizen voluntarily acquiring British citizenship may lose his US citizenship; and a dual citizen who makes use of his British citizenship in certain ways, for example joining HM Forces, taking an oath of allegiance to Her Majesty and in certain circumstances exercising other rights or privileges of British citizenship, may jeopardise his US citizenship. '

Your kid will be more a USC no matter where he/she is born.

Your husband will always be a USC unless he renounces his citizenship, however he will still be liable for IRS taxes - he would have to pay income tax to the US gov if he earned more than something like $80k abroad

the process for getting your husband over is quick and painless! Check with the following website for help and advice:

http://uk-yankee.com/

The pets will probably be the most difficult thing (more than your husband even!). Check this link for advice (I am in the process of getting our kitty ready myself)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread....ht=pet+passport

(probably other good advice for you in that forum

90day.jpg

From the article:

'Although acquisition or use of US citizenship does not of itself jeopardise retention of British citizenship, and there is not objection on the part of British authorities to a dual citizen using a US passport, it should not be assumed that the reverse is also true. A US citizen voluntarily acquiring British citizenship may lose his US citizenship; and a dual citizen who makes use of his British citizenship in certain ways, for example joining HM Forces, taking an oath of allegiance to Her Majesty and in certain circumstances exercising other rights or privileges of British citizenship, may jeopardise his US citizenship. '

This is not what you indicated in your post. Merely moving out of the US will not forfiet their citizenship. They must officially renounce their citizenship or take actions such as those mentioned in the article that renounce citizenship.

Don't read more into the article than it actually says.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
So...it looks as though the baby will be born a USC, but is it gonig to cause many more problems trying to get the both over?

Even if the baby is born abroad, as long as the baby has one parent that is a USC and the proper paper work is filed with the US Embassy in the country of birth then child will be a USC as well.

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Annie did some looking into this for us and she found out the the Child can be a duel citizen until they are 18. not really sure what happens at 18, but that is what she said.

She is considering the duel citizenship thing as well. When and if we have children, I like the idea of them being able to live and wok in both. Plus the fact that there is the ability to work anywhere in the EU.

Oh and, once we have been married two years i can get a stamp in my passport for the right to leave and remain in the UK. I would comfirm all of this with the a Consulaur officer.

Edited by John & Annie

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

From the article:

This is not what you indicated in your post. Merely moving out of the US will not forfiet their citizenship. They must officially renounce their citizenship or take actions such as those mentioned in the article that renounce citizenship.

Don't read more into the article than it actually says.

That is exactly why I asked for more info on the matter.

To the others- thanks for the info and links :thumbs:

THis is what I had to do. In order to stay here in the UK with Ian as his wife, once we were married in the UK, I then applied at the consulate for limited leave to remain...that was 500 quid just to apply. They stamped my visa that day and I am able to work and get health care if needed. I still am not able to have recourse to public funds but that is ok...after 2 years, i can then become a permanant resident and go for citizenship i believe. An American citizen does not lose their citizenship unless it is taken from them. It is much easier for your hubby to live in the UK than it is for someone to go live in the US.

GOod luck with whatever you choose to do.

LJ

Love is not an EMOTION or FEELING....

That if made from the heart...will outlast ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING!!!!

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=117 (shortcuts)

TIMELINE

04/29/2006......MARRIED MY VERY OWN CLOWN WOOOHOOOO

Now we are through with immigration until the end of 2008. Please read my timeline to see our process. Remember, patience is a beatuiful thing if you can remember to keep it...I will be damned if we did lol. We are all here on this site for the same reason...lets all help one another...

Filed: Other Timeline

For whatever its worth......

Pregnancy is an emotional time. It sounds like you're not in a huge rush, so give yourself the benefit of time and allow your emotions to sort themselves.

I'm not a naysayer about living in the UK. My husband and I might end up back there ourselves someday. Aside from the potential for taxation at the higher income brackets (mentioned above) I think living over there might be grand.

Just take your time and think it over. And if I could add this - and I don't mean it to be unpleasant but just mull it over slowly. You say you want to be near your mum. Keep in mind that you and your child will probably outlive your mum. Try to weigh out what will be in the best longterm interest of you, your husband, and your future family.

If my own parents weren't so much older I might not feel this way. So please don't take offense to it or let it upset you in any way. It's just kind of the way life goes, you know? *hugs*

Filed: Timeline
For whatever its worth......

Pregnancy is an emotional time. It sounds like you're not in a huge rush, so give yourself the benefit of time and allow your emotions to sort themselves.

I'm not a naysayer about living in the UK. My husband and I might end up back there ourselves someday. Aside from the potential for taxation at the higher income brackets (mentioned above) I think living over there might be grand.

Just take your time and think it over. And if I could add this - and I don't mean it to be unpleasant but just mull it over slowly. You say you want to be near your mum. Keep in mind that you and your child will probably outlive your mum. Try to weigh out what will be in the best longterm interest of you, your husband, and your future family.

If my own parents weren't so much older I might not feel this way. So please don't take offense to it or let it upset you in any way. It's just kind of the way life goes, you know? *hugs*

Pros & cons to both! I'd love to move back to England myself...an American living abroad gets a much bigger & more humble view of the world.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I would give birth in the UK, so I am only taking one USC to the UK and not 2, but time restraints really arent gonig to make such a quick move possible. We have our 3 fur babies to consider, and I know the process of getting them to the UK very well, and that will take at least 7-8 months to be able to do without them having to go into quarantine over there- which I really dont want!

Laura,

No matter where the sprog is when she arrives, she will be both a USC and a UKC through her parents. Register the birth with whichever country she is not in at the moment she is born via the Embassy.

If she is born in the US, she can go to the UK as a UK citizen; you don't immigrate her.

USCs do NOT lose their citizenship by moving out of the US; there are USCs who have never lived in the US but still have a US passport.

This is an important read for anyone considering dual citizenship or a blended family:

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Dual Nationality and

United States Law

by Rich Wales

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

Please also see the links, particularly about kids, in this thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=311

Annie did some looking into this for us and she found out the the Child can be a duel citizen until they are 18. not really sure what happens at 18, but that is what she said.

While the 'until 18 rule' does apply to some countries, I don't think that US/UK are in that club. There are many, many dual US/UK citizens. A lot of them were born that way.

THis is what I had to do. In order to stay here in the UK with Ian as his wife, once we were married in the UK, I then applied at the consulate for limited leave to remain...that was 500 quid just to apply.

By way of FYI, spouses of UKCs must apply from outside the UK to settle there, now.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

I would give birth in the UK, so I am only taking one USC to the UK and not 2, but time restraints really arent gonig to make such a quick move possible. We have our 3 fur babies to consider, and I know the process of getting them to the UK very well, and that will take at least 7-8 months to be able to do without them having to go into quarantine over there- which I really dont want!

Laura,

No matter where the sprog is when she arrives, she will be both a USC and a UKC through her parents. Register the birth with whichever country she is not in at the moment she is born via the Embassy.

If she is born in the US, she can go to the UK as a UK citizen; you don't immigrate her.

USCs do NOT lose their citizenship by moving out of the US; there are USCs who have never lived in the US but still have a US passport.

This is an important read for anyone considering dual citizenship or a blended family:

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Dual Nationality and

United States Law

by Rich Wales

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

Please also see the links, particularly about kids, in this thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=311

While the 'until 18 rule' does apply to some countries, I don't think that US/UK are in that club. There are many, many dual US/UK citizens. A lot of them were born that way.

THis is what I had to do. In order to stay here in the UK with Ian as his wife, once we were married in the UK, I then applied at the consulate for limited leave to remain...that was 500 quid just to apply.

By way of FYI, spouses of UKCs must apply from outside the UK to settle there, now.

They only have to apply from outside of the UK if they aren't already married. THat is what I have just gone through. I Had to fly back to NYC in March to get my visa for marriage. We weren't intending on me staying past the 6 months, otherwise we could have done it all in one go and I would have been able to work as soon as we got married. YOU DO NOT have to go outside of the UK to change status. That is what I did. My husband only just went to Birmingham and changed my visa to limited leave to remain. I know about the new laws that your refering to.

LJ

Love is not an EMOTION or FEELING....

That if made from the heart...will outlast ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING!!!!

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=117 (shortcuts)

TIMELINE

04/29/2006......MARRIED MY VERY OWN CLOWN WOOOHOOOO

Now we are through with immigration until the end of 2008. Please read my timeline to see our process. Remember, patience is a beatuiful thing if you can remember to keep it...I will be damned if we did lol. We are all here on this site for the same reason...lets all help one another...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi guys,

Just to confirm this, is it pretty easy to bring your spouse back to the UK after living in the USA for a while.

To bring it into context, Sondra and I will probably be here in the USA for at least another 4 or 5 years. We don't have plans beyond that, but it would be nice to know we could go back to the UK for a bit without it being a major hassle. Particularly, when we have kids we'd prefer to raise them there, at least for the early part of their lives. Is that an easy thing to do? And how would it affect my status in the USA (assuming I have unconditional lawful permenant residency by then)?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.