Serilei

about Aff. of support

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Ok, just come to ask some questions and get some information :)

I want to make sure that I have the list correct for the co sponsor.

Completed I-864 document

Proof of citizenship, like a copy of State ID, Passport, or Birth Certificate

Either (A) a few recent paystubs, or (B) a letter of employment stating The date you began work, what type of work you do, and your income, signed and dated by you and the employer, whichever is easier.

A copy of recent federal income tax return, or W2, or IRS transcripts-last 3 years.

that is pretty much what I got out of the travel.state.gov website, if I missed anything please let me know.

Now, this affidavit of support, I have to send it off to the NVC yes? Or does the wife take it directly to the interview? If it is sent to the NVC, will they background check the person completely, or just look over the information they have? My only worry is he said, he has had some tax related issues the last few years, but I don't know if it is paying them, or just maybe something with his property or something, I don't know, but he is a teacher, so he makes a lot of money, will this tax issue affect anything at the NVC, or should I search for a new co sponsor.

Oh and by the way I never got the physical mail that the USCIS sent out to me, nor the hard copy.. Not a problem, yeah?

Edited by Serilei

USICS Stage

May 2nd 2012 - I-130 Sent By Mail

May 7th 2012 - Arrived At Lockbox

May 10th 2012 - NOA 1 Email (rerouted to California)

May 17th 2012 - Accepted - NOA 2 Mail sent (To Russia - Not Arrived yet)

NVC Stage

June 20th 2012 - NVC Received + Case Number

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

the affidavit of support will be taken to the interview not sent to NVC, your post is a bit confusing, american citizen needs to send it by post to the person having the interview and will be presented in the embassy. If American part is a teacher making more then 20 000 dollars an year for two people( him and spouse) you are fine, if american citizen has kids he need to make more then that. There is a form with minimum household requirements, needs to do a little bit more then the poverty line. With the affidavit you only need to have the last years tax return form and the other documents, no need to present the past years tax return.

You need your NOA2 for the interview, american part should send you a copy of the one he received by post, they will ask for it at the embassy, if you don't have it call uscis to re-send.

Good luck

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

the affidavit of support will be taken to the interview not sent to NVC, your post is a bit confusing, american citizen needs to send it by post to the person having the interview and will be presented in the embassy. If American part is a teacher making more then 20 000 dollars an year for two people( him and spouse) you are fine, if american citizen has kids he need to make more then that. There is a form with minimum household requirements, needs to do a little bit more then the poverty line. With the affidavit you only need to have the last years tax return form and the other documents, no need to present the past years tax return.

You need your NOA2 for the interview, american part should send you a copy of the one he received by post, they will ask for it at the embassy, if you don't have it call uscis to re-send.

Good luck

Sorry for the confusing part, I am American, my wife is Russian, we live in Russia.

The joint sponsor is an American teacher, so he makes a lot of money from my understanding and it is just him and his wife, she works too. He will send me all the documents needed, but what I wanted to know is (now that I mostly understand) will anyone do any background checks on his tax information, or will they just look at the papers at the interview and determine if he makes enough money? It worries me a bit.

I understand, I need his last years tax return, and not 3 years. I really have no idea why the USCIS never had my NOA2 arrive in the mail in Russia, it was mailed out on May 17th apparently.

USICS Stage

May 2nd 2012 - I-130 Sent By Mail

May 7th 2012 - Arrived At Lockbox

May 10th 2012 - NOA 1 Email (rerouted to California)

May 17th 2012 - Accepted - NOA 2 Mail sent (To Russia - Not Arrived yet)

NVC Stage

June 20th 2012 - NVC Received + Case Number

Good luck

This is incorrect. You send ALL of your paperwork (sponsor paperwork included) with the AOS/I-864 packet to NVC.

The affidavit of support (I-134, not I-864) is taken to the interview in K-1 cases, not CR-1/IR-1.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.