5 posts in this topic

Ok, so I have lurked around this site for 3 years, but never actually posted a question. However, my husband and I are beginning the AOS process, and I swear to god, each step is progressively more confusing.

First Question: Form I-864....I do not make enough $$ on my own (grad student), and will need a co-sponsor. My brother has agreed to do so. I believe we both must fill out this form, correct? Also, will I need to include him in our household size (even though he lives in CA and we are in IN), thus making it a household of 3? How do I clarify this in Part 5 Q21: Household Size. Brother who is co-sponsor but does not live with you doesn't really fit into any of the categories listed...I don't know why I am so confused by this, but I am. I am assuming (I hope correctly) that form I-864A does NOT need to be used in this sort of situation (since we do not live in the same household).

Second Question: Form 693...my husband did not retain any copy of his medical exam (which would have been performed in Feb. of this year) when he came over in March. Since medical is less than a year old at this time, we do not need to worry about this, correct? What about the vaccination requirement? Would it be better just to go to the health dept/civil surgeon to get that taken care of proactively or just hope that papers got sent where they need to be? What would you do....

I am sure I will have many more questions in the coming days, but those are the two biggest & most urgent at this time.

Thanks for helping a confused gal out!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

You = one I-864, your household size is you+your husband+do you have any kids or someone else?, give all supporting documents, even if you don't make enough

Your brother = one I-864, his household size is him+does he have a wife/kid/lives with someone else?, he also needs to give all supporting documents

I-864A does not need to be filed, as the co-sponsor is not in your household.

I-693: So, your husband doesn't have the vaccination record sheet copy from his medical (DS-3025)? If not, you need to see a civil surgeon and have him file Part 1 of the form, plus the vaccination record page. The USCIS instructions of this form say that if the medical was done less 1 year ago, you don't have to do a new one, but you need to provide proofs that the vaccination requirements were met.

Edited by didopage

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ok, so I have lurked around this site for 3 years, but never actually posted a question. However, my husband and I are beginning the AOS process, and I swear to god, each step is progressively more confusing.

First Question: Form I-864....I do not make enough $$ on my own (grad student), and will need a co-sponsor. My brother has agreed to do so. I believe we both must fill out this form, correct?

Ans: since your brother does not live with you, yes,you do need to sign same affidavit of support form: I-864.

Also, will I need to include him in our household size (even though he lives in CA and we are in IN), thus making it a household of 3? How do I clarify this in Part 5 Q21: Household Size. Brother who is co-sponsor but does not live with you doesn't really fit into any of the categories listed...I don't know why I am so confused by this, but I am. I am assuming (I hope correctly) that form I-864A does NOT need to be used in this sort of situation (since we do not live in the same household).

Ans: you don't need to include your brother in your household size since he lives in a different house. he though needs to reach the poverty guideline to become a co-sponsor plus the intending immigrant. so, in your household size: you and your husband + any other who lives with you. on your brother household size: your brother + your husband + anyone that lives with your brother.

Second Question: Form 693...my husband did not retain any copy of his medical exam (which would have been performed in Feb. of this year) when he came over in March. Since medical is less than a year old at this time, we do not need to worry about this, correct? What about the vaccination requirement? Would it be better just to go to the health dept/civil surgeon to get that taken care of proactively or just hope that papers got sent where they need to be? What would you do....

Ans: you do need to transcribed the form 693 if the vaccination record stated "incomplete". if the vaccination record from original country is lost...i'm not sure what to do anymore. since it should be included on the AOS packet along with the transcribed form 693 if vaccination record stated "incomplete". let's wait for the others to answer this question.

I am sure I will have many more questions in the coming days, but those are the two biggest & most urgent at this time.

as1cHr40g410000MTU3bHN8MDQ1MTAzNGx8c2luY2Ugd2UgbWV0IGluIG1hdGNo.gif

as1cJK60g410000MDAwMDEwN2x8MDE1NWxzfHNpbmNlIHdlIGZvdW5kIG91ciBsb3Zl.gif

event.png

as1cJYl0g410010MDAwNTQ2NnN8MDE1NnN8c2luY2Ugd2VkZGluZyBkYXk.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

First Question: Form I-864....I do not make enough $$ on my own (grad student), and will need a co-sponsor. My brother has agreed to do so. I believe we both must fill out this form, correct? Also, will I need to include him in our household size (even though he lives in CA and we are in IN), thus making it a household of 3? How do I clarify this in Part 5 Q21: Household Size. Brother who is co-sponsor but does not live with you doesn't really fit into any of the categories listed...I don't know why I am so confused by this, but I am. I am assuming (I hope correctly) that form I-864A does NOT need to be used in this sort of situation (since we do not live in the same household).

You are correct that no I-864A is needed for your situation. You fill out your I-864 and provide your 2011 tax transcript, letter from employer and/or most recent pay stub(s). Your brother is your joint sponsor and will fill out his own I-864 (checking d. in Part 1) and provide all the same documentation that you do plus proof he is a USC or LPR. Someone's household size is based on spouse, dependent children or anyone else you claim on your taxes as a dependent. Since this does not apply in your case, your household is you and your spouse plus any children or other dependents. Your brother would count himself, a spouse, any children, other dependents claimed on his taxes plus your spouse. There is no place to list your brother on your I-864 in Part 5 #21 because he is not part of your household. #21 g. only applies for a qualifying household member (someone you reside with) that is filling out an I-864A. Not applicable to you.

If you do not have a DS-3025 or proof you got the required vaccinations, then you need to see a civil surgeon and have Page 1 and the vaccinations section on Page 5 of the I-693 filled out. You can get the vaccinations elsewhere cheaper and bring the vaccination record with you when you see a civil surgeon. You are not required to get another medical, but a lot of civil surgeons insist on giving one and charging for it anyway. You may to need to call around and check out the post here on VJ about civil surgeons who don't rip you off.

The only vaccinations required for AOS are MMR, Tdap/TD, varicella(unless you had the chickenpox) and flu shot(only during flu season> Oct.-Mar.). You only need the first shot in a series to file for AOS.

http://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/civil/vaccination-civil-technical-instructions.html#tbl1

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Thanks, y'all. I feel much, much better about things now. I guess I will find someone who can do the vaccinations, *sigh*, when he came through POE the only thing he handed me was the little notice sheet given to the K-1 visa holders telling us we had to get married within 90 days.

Off to fill out more paperwork!

And again, thank you. I don't think I could have survived this whole process w/out VJ, heh.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.