10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello all,

My wife entered the US as an Au Pair, then switched to a student visa when her Au Pair term ended. She did not return to her country between the Visas because she received her approval soon enough to begin school right away. Now we are married and applying for AOS.

For Part 3: Processing Information we are filling it out with information from her last arrival. Visa #, Date entered, etc etc.

For marital status do we put Single since she entered the US as Single? Or do we put married since she is now married?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hello all,

My wife entered the US as an Au Pair, then switched to a student visa when her Au Pair term ended. She did not return to her country between the Visas because she received her approval soon enough to begin school right away. Now we are married and applying for AOS.

For Part 3: Processing Information we are filling it out with information from her last arrival. Visa #, Date entered, etc etc.

For marital status do we put Single since she entered the US as Single? Or do we put married since she is now married?

What will be her marital status on the date that she signs her Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status? HTH.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

What will be her marital status on the date that she signs her Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status? HTH.

good.gif

Try not to make it confusing to yourself. The question is not asking you what the status was when she entered. It is just asking current status.

Boa Sorte.....

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I have.a.question also: part 3C where they.ask about organizations, I do list pair agencies, or not?

Thank you!

~Sometimes you must live through the darkness in order to see the light~

♥ ♥ ♥ 11/30/2012 - We got married in San Diego, CA ♥ ♥ ♥

CoS from J1 to F1 now AoS

Day 00 - 01/02/2013 sent AOS package via USPS

Day 02 - 01/04/2013 package arrived in the am *patiently waiting for more*

Day 05 - 01/07/2013 received text messages for all 4 forms

Day 06 - 01/08/2013 checks been cashed

Day 08 - 01/10/2013 received NOAs for all four forms

Day 12 - 01/14/2013 received appointment letter for biometrics on 02/01/2013 but completed biometrics the same day

Day 27 - 01/29/2013 received email that our case is ready to be scheduled for an Interview :)

Day 29 - 01/31/2013 received an email that our Interview will be on March 6 2013!!!!!!!!!

Day 33 - 02/04/2013 received hardcopy of interview letter

Day 62 - 03/05/2013 EAD/AP approved

Day 63 - 03/06/2013 scheduled interview appointment - APPROVED

Day 66 - 03/09/2013 I130 & I485 Approval noitces arrived in the mail

Day 70 - 03/13/2013 EAD/ AP combo card arrives in the mail

Day 71 - 03/14/2013 Greencard arrives yay!!!

x7gf2rvxm9gk.png

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

I have.a.question also: part 3C where they.ask about organizations, I do list pair agencies, or not?

Thank you!

We have that question as well. We listed the student groups she is a member of, but are not sure if we should list those. I'm thinking no because they were for employment.

Is your wife subject to the 2-year Home Residency Requirement from her J-1?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Is your wife subject to the 2-year Home Residency Requirement from her J-1?

Good question Harpa. Since the OP, and not Mrs_Gonzo, switched from J1 to student visa, she would be adjusting from student visa and not J1.

Or, does she still have to fulfill the requirement if she had one on J1?

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Good question Harpa. Since the OP, and not Mrs_Gonzo, switched from J1 to student visa, she would be adjusting from student visa and not J1.

Or, does she still have to fulfill the requirement if she had one on J1?

If they had 2-year HRRs on the J-1, they can change to another temp. student visa (like F-1) but before PR they need to deal with the original 2-year HRR.

Changing to another non-immigrant status does not make the HRR go away.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

If they had 2-year HRRs on the J-1, they can change to another temp. student visa (like F-1) but before PR they need to deal with the original 2-year HRR.

Changing to another non-immigrant status does not make the HRR go away.

In order to change status while within the country you can only do so if the 2year rule does NOT apply. in my case it doesnt and i think the OP mentioned his wife did the same, so neither one of us is subject to it.

Does the rule have anything to do with the part of where to list organizations? I mean there is another question where it specifically asks about the j1 with 2 HRR... which I marked as NO cause I am not subject to it.

** I also changed from J1 to F! and I am NOT subject to the rule. If i was they would have denied my application and I would have had to apply for a F1 in germany. In addition the 2 years would still apply even after getting a new visa**

Edited by mrs_gonzo

~Sometimes you must live through the darkness in order to see the light~

♥ ♥ ♥ 11/30/2012 - We got married in San Diego, CA ♥ ♥ ♥

CoS from J1 to F1 now AoS

Day 00 - 01/02/2013 sent AOS package via USPS

Day 02 - 01/04/2013 package arrived in the am *patiently waiting for more*

Day 05 - 01/07/2013 received text messages for all 4 forms

Day 06 - 01/08/2013 checks been cashed

Day 08 - 01/10/2013 received NOAs for all four forms

Day 12 - 01/14/2013 received appointment letter for biometrics on 02/01/2013 but completed biometrics the same day

Day 27 - 01/29/2013 received email that our case is ready to be scheduled for an Interview :)

Day 29 - 01/31/2013 received an email that our Interview will be on March 6 2013!!!!!!!!!

Day 33 - 02/04/2013 received hardcopy of interview letter

Day 62 - 03/05/2013 EAD/AP approved

Day 63 - 03/06/2013 scheduled interview appointment - APPROVED

Day 66 - 03/09/2013 I130 & I485 Approval noitces arrived in the mail

Day 70 - 03/13/2013 EAD/ AP combo card arrives in the mail

Day 71 - 03/14/2013 Greencard arrives yay!!!

x7gf2rvxm9gk.png

• 2 years later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.