shekhar

DHS unable to verify my status while applying for SSN

14 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Few days back i got on-campus employment.So i went to SSN office with all my papers.But while applying they said they are unable to verify my active status go and talk to your ISO officer.Then i came back to my school and verified my status with ISO officer.They said everything is fine and i'm in active state.Then the SSN officer said, they are sending my documents to DHS and if DHS replied that i'm active then they can issue ssn otherwise not.This could take atleast 4 weeks.What all this about???Am i legal right now??

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I was taking to someone who is an ISO this morning, she mentioned how everything was screwed up now, how SAVE is not regularly updated and how much hassle her students are having.

Basically a screwed up system where databases are not updated promptly and where different parts of the system can not always see information put in by others.

She said they were going paperless and it will get worse, a lot worse.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I was taking to someone who is an ISO this morning, she mentioned how everything was screwed up now, how SAVE is not regularly updated and how much hassle her students are having.

Basically a screwed up system where databases are not updated promptly and where different parts of the system can not always see information put in by others.

She said they were going paperless and it will get worse, a lot worse.

But after 4 weeks will i get my ssn or it will take much more time??

Timeline

Dunno

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

They should, but as I mentioned it seems often they do not.

Timeline

How come the SSN officer unable to find my records in the system.DHS must have my records.Few months back i went to my country and came back.At POE officer didn't asked anything.Means i'm clear.But now at ssn they want to verify my documents...Whats all this about??

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

Ive been waiting 10 weeks so far for DHS to verify my status. Ive been told to wait 2 more weeks before going back to the social security office.

View my K1 -> ROC Timeline

*Filed I-129F - 21st October 2011* *Applied for SSN - 8th June 2012* *Filed I-751 (arrived) - 26th March 2015

*NOA1 - 28th October 2011* *Filed for AOS, EAD & AP - 26th June 2012* * Check cashed - 30th March 2015
*NOA2 (no RFE) - 26th January 2012* *AOS, EAD, & AP arrive at Chicago Lockbox - 28th June 2012* NOA1 - 26th March 2015 (arrived 3/4/15)

*Packet 3 sent - 27th February 2012* *Email notification of receipt - 3rd July 2012* *No biometrics letter - Service Request submitted 5/4/15
*Medical - February 28th 2012* *Check cashed - 7th July 2012* *Still no biometrics letter - 2nd Service Request submitted - 8/6/15
*Packet 4 received - 17th March 2012* *NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP - 9th July 2012* *Biometrics in Aurora, CO - 8th July 2015*
*Interview in London - 5th April 2012. APPROVED!!!* *Biometrics in Philadelphia (Drummond Road)- 7th August 2012*
*POE Newark, NJ - 16th May 2012 *Biometrics walk in at Philadelphia (Drummond Rd) - 25th July 2012*
*K1 process took 160 days* *Case Transfered to California Service Centre - 26th July 2012*
*SSN DENIED! - 17th August. 10 weeks after I applied!!*

*EAD/AP Approved - 28th August 2012* 59 days
*Married! - 1st June 2012* *EAD/AP card in hand - 1st September 2012*
*EAD/AP card in hand - 1st September 2012*
* Re-applied for SSN - 14th September 2012*
*Put in service request at 8mo/3days wait - 19th March 2013*

* AOS Approved!!! - 1st May 2013* Exactly 10 months after applying.

*Green card in hand - 6th May 2013

2yrdn5s0q.png

• 4 weeks later...

Ive been waiting 10 weeks so far for DHS to verify my status. Ive been told to wait 2 more weeks before going back to the social security office.

In your siggy you have "denied after 10weeks" what was the reason for denial? you clearly still had K-1 status when you applied for it. just curious.

mine was approved on the spot when I walked in couple weeks after entry.

Edited by tempa

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

In your siggy you have "denied after 10weeks" what was the reason for denial? you clearly still had K-1 status when you applied for it. just curious.

mine was approved on the spot when I walked in couple weeks after entry.

It took DHS too long to verify my info and my I-94 ran out in that time. They then denied me because they couldnt issue me a SSN due to the fact my documentation had expired. I cant gt a drivers license without one. Super frustrating!! Im reapplying today. We'll see how that goes.....

View my K1 -> ROC Timeline

*Filed I-129F - 21st October 2011* *Applied for SSN - 8th June 2012* *Filed I-751 (arrived) - 26th March 2015

*NOA1 - 28th October 2011* *Filed for AOS, EAD & AP - 26th June 2012* * Check cashed - 30th March 2015
*NOA2 (no RFE) - 26th January 2012* *AOS, EAD, & AP arrive at Chicago Lockbox - 28th June 2012* NOA1 - 26th March 2015 (arrived 3/4/15)

*Packet 3 sent - 27th February 2012* *Email notification of receipt - 3rd July 2012* *No biometrics letter - Service Request submitted 5/4/15
*Medical - February 28th 2012* *Check cashed - 7th July 2012* *Still no biometrics letter - 2nd Service Request submitted - 8/6/15
*Packet 4 received - 17th March 2012* *NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP - 9th July 2012* *Biometrics in Aurora, CO - 8th July 2015*
*Interview in London - 5th April 2012. APPROVED!!!* *Biometrics in Philadelphia (Drummond Road)- 7th August 2012*
*POE Newark, NJ - 16th May 2012 *Biometrics walk in at Philadelphia (Drummond Rd) - 25th July 2012*
*K1 process took 160 days* *Case Transfered to California Service Centre - 26th July 2012*
*SSN DENIED! - 17th August. 10 weeks after I applied!!*

*EAD/AP Approved - 28th August 2012* 59 days
*Married! - 1st June 2012* *EAD/AP card in hand - 1st September 2012*
*EAD/AP card in hand - 1st September 2012*
* Re-applied for SSN - 14th September 2012*
*Put in service request at 8mo/3days wait - 19th March 2013*

* AOS Approved!!! - 1st May 2013* Exactly 10 months after applying.

*Green card in hand - 6th May 2013

2yrdn5s0q.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.