Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

birth certificate & tax details

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi All

First, thank you for a wonderful site - it is the most useful tool for getting all this paperwork done.

I was hoping to get some advice on an RFE my wife and I received whilst waiting for AOS. We got a yellow letter asking for all tax documentation for the previous year and a birth certificate for myself.

On the tax issue - my wife works at a university and is supported by a national science foundation grant - this exceed the poverty line by some way, but as it is considered a stipend, there is no other tax information other than a W2 (i.e. there are no tax schedules etc). We are not sure how to get around this other than trying to explain this to whover is reviewing our case, but I assume there is no way we could get in touch with him / her. The other option is to ask her parents to become my sponsor, but we are not sure if we can change sponsors during the process?

On the birth certificate issue (which is probably unique to South Africa) - I sent in something called a vault copy, which is a certified copy of the original handwritten birth certificate, containing parentage information for both parents. My understanding is that there is something called an unabridged birth certificate, which is a typed version of the same thing - but that it would take up to 6 months to obtain such a document (which is way past the amount of time given for a response to the RFE). Has anyone had a similar experience, and if so, did you find a solution to this dilemma?

Many thanks in advance

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Fienaar

I know nothing about the tax issue, but with regards to the birth certificate, see this thread - http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/375089-question-rfe-birth-certificate/

Maybe that guy can help you.

Good luck.

Consulate: South Africa
Married: 2011-06-25
I-130 Sent: 2011-07-22
I-130 NOA1: 2011-07-25
I-130 Approved: 2011-07-27
Receive I-864 Package: 2011-11-10
Return Completed I-864: 2011-11-14
Packet 3 Received: 2011-11-10
Packet 3 Sent: 2011-11-10
Packet 4 Received: 2011-11-15
Interview Date: 2011-11-30
Interview Result: Approved
Visa Received: 2011-12-06
US Entry: 2012-01-11
Port of Entry: San Francisco

ROC I-751 Filed: 2013-12-19

NOA1: 2013-12-23

Biometrics: 2014-01-16

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: taxes. What did you send? It doesn't matter if you file with or without schedules. You should send your entire tax return + W-2s from 2011 OR (better and easier) a complete tax transcript from 2011. You can request that straight from IRS and it will include everything you filed and the W-2s.


I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.


08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!


11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!


Filing in November 2013

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


You do need an unabridged birth certificate.If you are on facebook go to the group:docs4expats.The women there (Norma) is able to get the unabrideged birth certificate for a small fee in a few weeks.I have gone with her (she did my police clearance certificate as well as other documents) and she is reliable though you might want to pay half first and the balance when she does receive it.

Hope that this helps and all the best!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.