Theobromine

How long does it take them to schedule the interview?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone can tell me what the time frame is like with regards to getting my fiance's interview scheduled. We received Packet 3 on July 26th and have been gathering all our paperwork and everything. He's done his medical, I send him my affidavit of support, and he's just waiting for the police check results before sending all the Packet 3 info back to the consulate. I am just hoping I can get an idea of about how long it will take them to schedule his interview for. We're both going kind of batty here with all the waiting :(

Also...I know my fiance is really worried and stressed about the interview. I don't think we have anything to worry about, but he still worries, he keeps showing me statistics that say that 1500 K-1 petitions (worldwide) were denied in 2009. Argh. He's also worried that they might deny him because he doesn't have his bachelor's degree or professional qualifications and they'll consider him unemployable. However, he's very intelligent and hardworking and can prove he's held the same job for the past 5 years, and other jobs for at least 5 years prior to that. I think he'll actually have a better time of it than I did when I moved back here. I have a master's degree now, but my field is really hard to break into and though everyone kept telling me to just get a retail job in the meantime and I TRIED, no retail jobs would hire me with my advanced degree :-/ So I think he won't have as much trouble finding work while he decides whether or not to pursue higher education. Anyway, we can definitely prove that we have a legit relationship, he's smart enough not to screw up the paperwork, etc. But if anyone can offer me some reassurances that I could pass on to him, that would be fantastic.

Thanks.

Timeline

My fiance received Packet 4 eight days after sending Packet 3. And the interview was scheduled for 7 days later. You can check out my timeline if you want. We just finished the process on the 9th, so everything is fairly recent. =)

As for the interview, if you filled everything out correctly, gave them everything they asked for, and you meet the financial requirements, Australia seems to be a really easy Consulate to get through. I wouldn't worry at all about degrees and things. That's not part of the K1 requirements. Neither of us has an actual degree (just a diploma), and we still got approved with no problems whatsoever. All they are concerned about is that you (the USC) or your co-sponsor makes enough money to support him while he's in the US. If you have the proof of that (I-134, most recent tax return, etc.), this should be a piece of cake. :thumbs:

Edited by Mitexi

K-1 Timeline:

12-09-2011 --- I-129F Sent

12-15-2011 --- NOA1 ------------------------------ 6 days

06-01-2012 --- NOA2 --------------------------- 169 days

06-29-2012 --- NVC Received ----------------- 28 days

07-06-2012 --- NVC Left --------------------------- 7 days

07-09-2012 --- Consulate Received ----------- 3 days

07-11-2012 --- Packet 3 Received ------------- 2 days

07-23-2012 --- Packet 3 Sent ------------------ 12 days

07-31-2012 --- Packet 4 Received ------------- 8 days

08-07-2012 --- Interview Date ------------------- 7 days from P4 - Approved!

08-09-2012 --- Visa in Hand -------------------- 2 days

08-29-2012 --- POE (LAX)

** Total Time From NOA1 to Visa In Hand: 7 Months, 3 Weeks, 4 Days - (236 days)

* For more detailed info, check the "About Me" section of my profile.

event.png

event.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi,

The consulate received my Packet 3 on Friday 10th August. I got an email today, Tuesday 14th August stating that my Interview is next Tuesday, 21st August.

I am so excited!

Timeline

Wow, thanks for the info, that's great to know! I'm REALLY hoping my fiance gets the police check results soon and can send Packet 3 off soon, argh! But I'm glad to hear that it shouldn't take them too long to get back to us after that. That is a huge relief.

I've also got another question while I'm at it, so if any of you might know the answer to this....

So I moved back to the US in March (I'd been living in Aus for three years doing my degree, but my visa finally expired) and was looking for a job for months and months but having no luck. So when we got Packet 3 and I was still unemployed, I had my dad fill out an I-134 as a co-sponsor, and we sent all that off ASAP. I didn't have a tax return or any recent employment info as I'd been studying and living abroad and not making any taxable income (I felt really crummy, but what can you do). I also wrote out a statement explaining the situation, just to make it as clear as possible. However, about a week after I sent all the affidavit forms and supporting documents to my fiance, I actually got a job (!!). Now, it's a full-time benefited position, and it will be enough to support both of us but it's not a very lucrative position (yeah, zookeepers don't make that much money). Anyway, I was just wondering if I should write out and send a new statement, along with my official offer letter stating what my pay and benefits will be, for my fiance to include in the packet. I still think he should include the supplemental affidavit from my dad (as my dad makes bank so I think it will show pretty strong financial support), but also let them know that now I have my own source of income so we won't just be relying on other people. So what all do you think we should include in the packet? Should I just write an addendum to my previous statement, or just a whole new one that he can replace the old one with? The old one was signed and mailed along with the affidavits, but I'd probably have to just email the new one as I don't want to have to wait another couple of weeks.

Sorry if none of this makes sense, I'm tired and bleary.

Timeline

I guess it depends if you want to wait longer to mail the new stuff. You can get through the process with your dad as co-sponsor; it won't be an issue if he makes the required amounts. The I-134 isn't even the main version of the affidavit of support. The I-864 that is sent after your fiance is here and you're married and filing for Adjustment of Status is the one that will be legally binding. So you could use your dad now and use yourself later on the I-864 if you want. I used my mom as co-sponsor because I only have a part time retail job, and there were no problems with that. However, even if you have a co-sponsor, you still have to send in your own I-134. I can't tell from what you wrote if you did that or not, but it sounds like you probably did. I know they usually want to look at the tax transcripts, but if you can't get yours and explained why you didn't need to legally file during that time, I guess it won't be a problem. Here is a thread I just found with some information about tax returns and living abroad: K1, no fed income tax returns, living abroad

Edited by Mitexi

K-1 Timeline:

08-29-2012 --- POE (LAX)

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Mitexi, did your police check ahead of time? How long did it take for the consulate to notify you that it had been received? Because that's the last thing that my fiance is waiting for before sending off Packet 3. He's concerned because it's already been two weeks since he did the police check and he hasn't heard anything, and according to your timeline, it was only 12 days between when you received Packet 3 and when you sent it off to the consulate.

And yes, I included my own I-134 form as well as my dad's. I think everything should be in order, we're just waiting for the ding dang police check.

Mitexi, did your police check ahead of time? How long did it take for the consulate to notify you that it had been received? Because that's the last thing that my fiance is waiting for before sending off Packet 3. He's concerned because it's already been two weeks since he did the police check and he hasn't heard anything, and according to your timeline, it was only 12 days between when you received Packet 3 and when you sent it off to the consulate.

And yes, I included my own I-134 form as well as my dad's. I think everything should be in order, we're just waiting for the ding dang police check.

I got my police check done ahead of time in Melbourne and it took about a month for them to send it through...

Sent I-129F from Australia - 23rd April '12
Delivered to Dallas Lockbox - 2nd May '12
Cheque cashed at USCIS Dallas - 7th May '12
NOA1 Hardcopy received (notice date 4th May '12) - 18th May '12
NOA2 - 3rd August '12 (email notification)
Packet 3 received - 21st August '12
Packet 3 sent to Consulate - 18th September '12 (arrived 19th September '12)
Interview APPROVED! - 25th September '12
POE San Francisco - 23nd November '12
Married - 7th January '13

AOS/EAD/AP paperwork sent - 3rd February '13
NOA for AOS/EAD/AP - 21st February '13
Biometrics taken - 20th March '13

EAD and AP approved - 1st May '13

Application to register Permanent Residence/Adjust Status approved - 6th January '14

Good luck on your visa journey!

Timeline

Yes, we did the police check ahead of time (the 12 days was for the medical). It took 13 days for them to send it to us. We used the online method mentioned at the top of this thread: NSW Police Check

I'm not really sure what's supposed to happen though if they send it directly to the Consulate. They let my fiance get it sent to his house and he just included it with Packet 3. But I think some states they won't let you do that (this was NSW). Did they say you were supposed to be notified when it was done? I would probably call the police department and see if they sent it off yet. If so, I would say you're good to send the rest of P3. Actually, you could probably send P3 now, since the police check is going straight to the consulate anyway.

K-1 Timeline:

08-29-2012 --- POE (LAX)

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Yes, we did the police check ahead of time (the 12 days was for the medical). It took 13 days for them to send it to us. We used the online method mentioned at the top of this thread: NSW Police Check

I'm not really sure what's supposed to happen though if they send it directly to the Consulate. They let my fiance get it sent to his house and he just included it with Packet 3. But I think some states they won't let you do that (this was NSW). Did they say you were supposed to be notified when it was done? I would probably call the police department and see if they sent it off yet. If so, I would say you're good to send the rest of P3. Actually, you could probably send P3 now, since the police check is going straight to the consulate anyway.

I wish I'd realised I could do the police check ahead of time. I was waiting for P3. Mine was done through QLD Police. They send it direct to the consulate. I've tried asking the consulate how they will notify me but I just get the run around. The phone and email support is horrible. That's all that is holding up my sending P3. I just don't want to have it returned as incomplete.

I-129F Sent: Sometime in February 2012

I-129F NOA1: 13th February 2012

I-129F NOA2: 6th June 2012

P3 Received: 26th June 2012

P3 Sent: 16th August 2012 (delayed by police check)

P4 Received: 23rd August 2012

Visa Interview Date: 9th October 2012 - Approved!

Visa Received: 17th October 2012

POE: 29th October 2012 - DFW - In country!

SSN: 3rd December 2012

AOS filed: 6th December 2012

Bio Appointment: 7th January 2013

Timeline

I wish I'd realised I could do the police check ahead of time. I was waiting for P3. Mine was done through QLD Police. They send it direct to the consulate. I've tried asking the consulate how they will notify me but I just get the run around. The phone and email support is horrible. That's all that is holding up my sending P3. I just don't want to have it returned as incomplete.

This post might be helpful to you: Link

It seems you can send Packet 3 without the police check, since it's going to be sent to the Consulate when it's done anyway. =)

As for contacting about the police check, it would probably be easier to call the police department and see if they sent it to the Consulate yet. If they sent it or tell you it's done, then you know it will be there soon.

Edited by Mitexi

K-1 Timeline:

08-29-2012 --- POE (LAX)

event.png

event.png

Timeline

This post might be helpful to you: Link

It seems you can send Packet 3 without the police check, since it's going to be sent to the Consulate when it's done anyway. =)

As for contacting about the police check, it would probably be easier to call the police department and see if they sent it to the Consulate yet. If they sent it or tell you it's done, then you know it will be there soon.

I tried calling them but the QLD Police information bureau just has a recorded system, wasn't able to speak to anyone. I've emailed them now and am waiting for a reply.

I had a look at that link. The problem is that the check must be completed before the interview whether it's sent to me or to the consulate. So while I can send P3 now I have to hope the check is done before my interview or else it won't be approved that day.

Timeline

Turns out emailing is the best thing to do. QLD Police replied saying the certificate has been sent, so now I can send off P3 today and hopefully get an interview before the end of August.

Timeline

Turns out emailing is the best thing to do. QLD Police replied saying the certificate has been sent, so now I can send off P3 today and hopefully get an interview before the end of August.

Awesome! =) They seem to be moving pretty quick with interviews right now, so I would say there's a good chance you'll get an early date. Just depends how long it takes them to actually schedule the interview.

K-1 Timeline:

08-29-2012 --- POE (LAX)

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Worldwide stats are useless to a low fraud country like Australia. Qualification's aren't relevant. They didn't ask to see my resume and they won't.

He will be fine. I suggest he reads the embassy reviews for Australia here: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Australia&cty=&dfilter=5

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.