jonandrachel

Getting married... and then what?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So, the big day is almost upon us, next Tuesday in fact, and now i'm compiling my forms to submit afterwards for adjustment of status, work permit etc...

I've found the link that has the forms i need to complete:

1. G-325a

2. I-864

3. I-485

4. I-765 (optional)

5. I-131 (optional)

6. G-1145 (optional)

But to begin with, i have some questions relating to form I-485:

1. What is my current USCIS status? I'm already in NY having come in on my K1 and i'll be married by the time i send the form in, so what is my 'status'?

2. In what status did i last enter the US? The examples list visitor, student, worker etc, but as i came in on a K1 i am none of these...

3. Non-immigrant visa number? The K1 in my passport has what's called a 'control number' but also a number in red which starts with an E and has 7 numbers after it. Which, if either, is the number i need?

4. What is the fiancee petition approval notice? Which i need to send in along with my marriage certificate...

If anyone has the answers to these questions, all help is very very helpful.

I've yet to even look at the other forms but no doubt they'll be just as confusing.

Thanks everyone

Jon & Rachel

1. K-1

2. K-1 (they just list some of the myriad of examples there)

3. red number

4. The USC should have gotten a notice of approval for the I-129F petition. You need that (the NOA2).

Come on down to the AOS forum :)

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

1. K-1

2. K-1 (they just list some of the myriad of examples there)

3. red number

4. The USC should have gotten a notice of approval for the I-129F petition. You need that (the NOA2).

Come on down to the AOS forum :)

Sweet! Thank you so much, you made all those questions look so easy. What is the link to the AOS forum?

Another quick question, to put my fiancee at ease... what is my status, after my K1 runs out, and while i'm waiting for my AOS to be confirmed? Obviously i will have married before the 90 days expires.

Thanks again

Jon

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Sweet! Thank you so much, you made all those questions look so easy. What is the link to the AOS forum?

Another quick question, to put my fiancee at ease... what is my status, after my K1 runs out, and while i'm waiting for my AOS to be confirmed? Obviously i will have married before the 90 days expires.

Thanks again

Jon

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/7-adjustment-of-status-green-card-from-family-based-visas/

Marrying within the 90 days is the only requirement. There is no deadline to file for AOS. When your I-94 expires, you will be out of status. However, you will enter a period of authorized stay once you file the I-485. Any overstay days won't matter after your green card is approved.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/7-adjustment-of-status-green-card-from-family-based-visas/

Marrying within the 90 days is the only requirement. There is no deadline to file for AOS. When your I-94 expires, you will be out of status. However, you will enter a period of authorized stay once you file the I-485. Any overstay days won't matter after your green card is approved.

Thanks very much. Now just to get on with these forms. Already i'm reminded of all the stress and frustration from compiling the original petition.

Jon

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Take your time review then several times before mailing with your required evidence. Remember the goal no RFE's and get to the finish line.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.