ourjoy

Ghana: Notarizing a sworn statement to be presented to embassy

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Where in Ghana can I get a sworn statement by family members, to be presented to U.S. embassy as evidence of engagement, notarized that the embassy will recognize as valid or legal? Specifically, which notary public does U.S. embassy recognizes in Ghana? Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The enbassy itself will run a notary service for about $20 USD per signature notarized. It should be just as good to collect copies of identity papers and contact intformation. Pictures with multiple family members are probably more important.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Where in Ghana can I get a sworn statement by family members, to be presented to U.S. embassy as evidence of engagement, notarized that the embassy will recognize as valid or legal? Specifically, which notary public does U.S. embassy recognizes in Ghana? Thanks

Be careful- if it was a full traditional engagement in Ghana the embassy at times has said it is a marriage! So don't know why you are in need of these letters because they are not needed for a K-1. Photos, emails, phone calls, texts, passport stamps are really what they are looking for.

My now husband and I, did not present anything from our traditional engagement ceremony to be on the safe side during the interview. Its up to you but I would be careful on how you word engagement at the Accra embassy.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

As far as I know, in Ghana, all you need for proof of engagement is the letter of intent to marry.

Leave out anything pertaining to the traditional ceremony because the CO may take those as a marriage not engagement.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Timeline

During the filling state at USCIS, I got an RFE for the two-year meeting requirement since I they couldn't properly seen the entry and/or exit date stamped in my passport onn my last visit to Ghana. The RFE specified some of the things I needed to submit and I submitted s sworn statement by myself detailing how I instructed my family to contact my fiancee's family and officially ask for their daughter's hand-in-marriage and their custom demanded I had to present some stuff as a "knocking" to signify our engagement (not marriage yet by custom). The bride price is totally different which I haven't presented yet (and so I haven't married her yet). Only after the bride price is paid and the traditional ceremony performed will we be considered married. So I don't want the embassy to take that as marriage and so I wanted our two families to write a joint sworn statement to explain that it was only a "knocking" (those from Ghana may understand) and that is why I asked my question. Now with some of the feedback I am kinda of scared they might misinterpret that as marriage which is totally not.

Timeline

During the filling state at USCIS, I got an RFE for the two-year meeting requirement since I they couldn't properly seen the entry and/or exit date stamped in my passport onn my last visit to Ghana. The RFE specified some of the things I needed to submit and I submitted s sworn statement by myself detailing how I instructed my family to contact my fiancee's family and officially ask for their daughter's hand-in-marriage and their custom demanded I had to present some stuff as a "knocking" to signify our engagement (not marriage yet by custom). The bride price is totally different which I haven't presented yet (and so I haven't married her yet). Only after the bride price is paid and the traditional ceremony performed will we be considered married. So I don't want the embassy to take that as marriage and so I wanted our two families to write a joint sworn statement to explain that it was only a "knocking" (those from Ghana may understand) and that is why I asked my question. Now with some of the feedback I am kinda of scared they might misinterpret that as marriage which is totally not.

Timeline

If you have your NOA2 then what you need to present at the embassy is proof of a relationship. This letter is really not going to do that- pictures with the two of you, family, emails, IMs, phone calls, text message proof for the time of your relationship is the best way to do this. They do not care if you had the knocking ceremony or not. You may not have even given her a ring- they just want to see your relationship as a whole.

How many visits to Ghana- if you can show a few different ones that helps as well.

Sworn statement only means the person who signed is the person in front of the notary- it does not mean that the information being presented is the truth- i would focus on gathering the other stuff and steer clear of traditional vs. legal ceremonies and traditions.

Timeline

If you have your NOA2 then what you need to present at the embassy is proof of a relationship. This letter is really not going to do that- pictures with the two of you, family, emails, IMs, phone calls, text message proof for the time of your relationship is the best way to do this. They do not care if you had the knocking ceremony or not. You may not have even given her a ring- they just want to see your relationship as a whole.

How many visits to Ghana- if you can show a few different ones that helps as well.

Sworn statement only means the person who signed is the person in front of the notary- it does not mean that the information being presented is the truth- i would focus on gathering the other stuff and steer clear of traditional vs. legal ceremonies and traditions.

Timeline

I have the evidence of relationship proof (photos, few emails, Skype and Rebtel call logs, will get MTN call logs from her, money transfers) to be presented to the embassy on the day of the interview but my worry is that in my reply to USCIS regarding an RFE I received between NOA1 and NOA2, I included a notarized statement from me that said that my family. on my behalf, by custom presented some stuff and I worry they may misconstrue that as traditional marriage but we are not married yet. All I wanted to do is to have a some evidence that they will accept ready at the interview in case they ask about that and wouldn't take our oral explanation. I don't know if any VJ member or someone you know have been in this situation before. Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks

As far as I know, in Ghana, all you need for proof of engagement is the letter of intent to marry.

Leave out anything pertaining to the traditional ceremony because the CO may take those as a marriage not engagement.

Edited by ourjoy

Timeline

You just need to prove that there is on going relationship between the two of you, make sure you have enough evidence and you will be fine.

Met through a friend on Facebook

Visited Accra on June 26, 2011 ( For two weeks)

Sept 14, 2011 Mailed the petition express

Sept 16, 2011.................................... NOA 1

Feb 01,2012...................................... NOA 2

Timeline

Specifically answering your question. When I needed a notorized statement from my fiancee in Ghana for the beginning of 1-129 petition my lawyer brother in-law took it to court to be notorized by a judge or something like that. Not sure if that was an over kill or not, but it worked

Timeline

Thanks

Specifically answering your question. When I needed a notorized statement from my fiancee in Ghana for the beginning of 1-129 petition my lawyer brother in-law took it to court to be notorized by a judge or something like that. Not sure if that was an over kill or not, but it worked

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.