Dana and Divine

Interview Question Game

23 posts in this topic

Many people who have inboxed me have asked, what questions will they ask in the interview? Well VJ has a standard set of questions you can practice with your spouse, and there are questions that you can review based on your country's Embassy Reviews.

But wouldn't it be great to have a list of questions you can copy, paste in a Word document and answer for your spouse so they can learn a little more about you everyday and be ready for interview?

This is exactly what my husand and I have been doing for over a year and it has become a very fun and humerous game. I even address my husband as Mr. Divine... when I ask him the question and I often try to ask him the same question in more than one way. Mix it up, make it fun and learn all you can about each other. For us, it's only made our love that much stronger!

So...Below are some basic questions to start. What would you ask a beneficiary if you were the Consulate Officer (CO)? Well today you are...so ask away!

1. Who is your petitioner?
  2. What is your home address to be in the United States?
  3. Do you know anything about the town/city you are moving to?
  4. Have you ever been to the US?
  5. Have you ever applied for a visa?_____
  6. If yes) Before or after you met your wife for the first time?
  7. When is the last time you have seen your wife?
  8. When will you leave for the US?
  9. When did you meet in person?
  10. When did you propose to your wife?_________________
  11. Why was your wife’s last marriage not working out?
  12. Does your wife have any kids? How many, how old, who do they live with?
  13. When did your wife divorce?_____________________
  14. What is your wifes birthday?
  15. What is your birthday?
  16. When are the childrens birthdays.
  17. Does your wife have any brothers and sisters?
  18. Do you have brothers and sisters?
  19. Where do your wifes parents live?
  20. Where does my fiance live?
  21. Where was he born?
  22. What do you love about your wife?
  23. Have I ever applied for a traveling visa?
  24. Have you ever lived in the USA?
  25. Where does he work and what position does he hold?
  26. How did you meet?
  27. Where did you meet the first time?
  28. How long have you known each other?
  29. What does she do for a living?
  30. What do you do for a living?
  31. When did you decide to get married? ____________________
  32. Did you live together before marriage?
  33. When and where did you get married?
  34. How did you and your spouse get to the church, courthouse, etc.?
  35. Who were the witnesses to the ceremony?
  36. Did your family attend (mother/father)?
  37. Did you exchange wedding rings?
  38. Do you have a photo of your ring exchange?
  39. Where were the rings purchased?
  40. Did you and your spouse purchase them together?
  41. Did you have a reception after the ceremony?
  42. Where was it held?
  43. Do you have any photos of the ceremony and /or reception?
  44. Describe the reception.
  45. Did any of your, and your wife’s family members attend? If so, who?
  46. Did you go on a honeymoon?
  47. Where did you live after your marriage?
  48. Did you consummate your marriage?
  49. Describe the place where you lived right after the marriage.
  50. Where did you shop for groceries?
  51. Is your spouse a good cook?
  52. Do you shop together with your spouse? How do you get there?
  53. Where do you work? What days of the week do you work?
  54. What hours do you work?
  55. What is your salary?
  56. What is your telephone # at work?
  57. When was the last vacation you had from work?
  58. Did you and your spouse go anywhere together at that time?
  59. Where does your spouse work?
  60. What days of the week?
  61. What hours?
  62. What is the salary, if you know?
  63. What is your spouse telephone # at work?
  64. Does you or your wife have any scars or tattoos?
  65. Do you know your spouse family members?
  66. If so, which ones?
  67. If your spouse has children from a previous marriage, their names, ages, where they live, and where they go to school,
  68. Where do you live now? (If different from where you lived right after the marriage, then go over the same questions as above).
  69. How much is the rent?
  70. When is it paid?
  71. How do you pay it?
  72. Do you have a bank account together? Where? What kind of account? (Checking, savings).
  73. Are both of you listed on the account? (Do you have a bank letter, cancelled checks, etc.?)
  74. Did you file a joint tax return this year? Do you have a copy with you?
  75. Do you own any property together? What property? Did you bring copies of the documents with you?
  76. What kind of automobile do you and your spouse have? Describe them.
  77. Do you have any pets? What kind, what are their names, and describe them?
  78. What did you do for Christmas, New Year, your anniversary, or you or your spouse last birthday?
  79. Did you exchange gifts? If so, what kind of gift?
  80. Who cooks the meals at the house?
  81. What is your wife’s/husbands favorite food from your country? What is your wife's/husbands favorite food from her/his country? ______________
  82. Does your spouse drink coffee? If so, does he or she use cream and/or sugar?
  83. Did you eat dinner together last night? Did anyone else have dinner with you? What did you have?
  84. What did you do after dinner?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Good list yes we have a quite hefty list very specific. My husband knows my first dogs name and 1st grade tteacher thats over 50 years ago. LOL 1. Why did you wait so long to petition for your spouse, when most petition immediately after marryng them? 2. Why would you marry a women so much older that may noyt be able to have children? <BR><BR>Also all petitioners should be giving their hunni's some simple facts about where they will be coming to. Some CO's will ask "what do you know about Houston"? Name the baseball team, football team, name a college. What is the weather like. They should know just as much about where we live and where they are going to live as we know about where they are. Just food for thought.

Edited by dwheels76

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

DANA what a long list headbonk.gif LOL

- who are your spouse friends - what's the name of your spouse boss- what car does your spouse drive, d make and model-what is your spouse favorite color- what does your spouse do every weekend- what is your spouse favorite tv show

Will come up with more questions

Philippians 4 vs 6-7

Timeline

DANA what a long list headbonk.gif LOL

- who are your spouse friends - what's the name of your spouse boss- what car does your spouse drive, d make and model-what is your spouse favorite color- what does your spouse do every weekend- what is your spouse favorite tv show

Will come up with more questions

Now ne thing alot on the interview list are AOS (Adjustment of status) questions. So couples that are here and married living together. But CO's have been known to ask about what color is the living to the foreign spouse when they ate never seen a picture. All they can say is don't know.

Now I hope each and everyday you are saying a prayer for that CO that will interview your husbands. Pray a blood covering over that embassy and CO in Jesus name daily. ;-)

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

ROC I-751

N-400

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I think your effort is great for posting for the people who want to know what questions are asked...but IN MY OWN OPINION...I think it seems so fake if you have to 'practice' question and answers with someone who you feel you know enough to have already married or are intending to marry. Am I the only one that feels this way? I would never sit down and practice a list with my husband of things he does or does not know about me. Before I jumped into marriage with him, WE knew each other inside and out. If someone asks him a question that he doesnt know the answer to, then there probably isnt an answer to the question or its not significant in our life. Im sure I'll be critized for saying this...but it just seems too staged to me, when you have to know a list of things you shud know about someone you've made the decision to marry.

Timeline

Yes of course we should know our spouses in and out before we marry them, but hey this is lagos we are talking about and they can take you off balance with questions that you didn't expect.... there are some little things we do not know about our spouse and everyday we found out new stuffs about them.... its better you familarize yourself with such questions that can be asked and get prepared with whatever may come your way.... Just WHAT IF the CO ask you some questions that you don't know about your spouse and your last 4 or 3 answers is 'I DO NOT KNOW' the CO may deny you..... Its totally up to you like you said 'YOU WILL NEVER SIT DOWN WITH YOUR SPOUSE TO GO THRU QUESTIONS'.....

I know 'everything' about my spouse but we still have to go through this questions and be prepared than rather just sit and wait until the day of the interview if they ask me a question about something my hubby told me like 4years ago and I have totally forgotten about it. This is the only chance we've got, so why not get prepared for it? waiting for 11 months or even 1 year is not HEALTHY for us.

Philippians 4 vs 6-7

Timeline

Yes of course we should know our spouses in and out before we marry them, but hey this is lagos we are talking about and they can take you off balance with questions that you didn't expect.... there are some little things we do not know about our spouse and everyday we found out new stuffs about them.... its better you familarize yourself with such questions that can be asked and get prepared with whatever may come your way.... Just WHAT IF the CO ask you some questions that you don't know about your spouse and your last 4 or 3 answers is 'I DO NOT KNOW' the CO may deny you..... Its totally up to you like you said 'YOU WILL NEVER SIT DOWN WITH YOUR SPOUSE TO GO THRU QUESTIONS'.....

I know 'everything' about my spouse but we still have to go through this questions and be prepared than rather just sit and wait until the day of the interview if they ask me a question about something my hubby told me like 4years ago and I have totally forgotten about it. This is the only chance we've got, so why not get prepared for it? waiting for 11 months or even 1 year is not HEALTHY for us.

I hear what you're saying...but the questions on this list and the type of questions that they ask are not things like "what did your husband say to you before going to bed on Christmas Eve 2010"....they are questions that anyone shud know about the person they married. Thats ALL im saying. You quote me saying "i wud never sit down and practice a Q&A with my husband" as if its something bad...Sorry but to me it sounds fake. thats all im saying

Timeline

I think your effort is great for posting for the people who want to know what questions are asked...but IN MY OWN OPINION...I think it seems so fake if you have to 'practice' question and answers with someone who you feel you know enough to have already married or are intending to marry. Am I the only one that feels this way? I would never sit down and practice a list with my husband of things he does or does not know about me. Before I jumped into marriage with him, WE knew each other inside and out. If someone asks him a question that he doesnt know the answer to, then there probably isnt an answer to the question or its not significant in our life. Im sure I'll be critized for saying this...but it just seems too staged to me, when you have to know a list of things you shud know about someone you've made the decision to marry.

WOW that is way harsh for something that was posted to be helpful and fun. We do Q & A everyday of our relatoinship lives. Just in this process we are in we are a little more focused and structured. I have read too many times people who knew the spouse, fiance and were asked questions and the answer escaped them or they were onfused. Or questions that may have come up in one of the reviews they were asked about a distance relative they had talked about in an email years back (reason the intervuewee needs all documents submitted) when they went back for secod interview that same relative name came up but he knew know who "uncle pete" was this time.

It's just good harmless fun and some things some couples may never have thought to speak on doesn't mean they don't love each other or know each other. no way I can cram 53 years of my living into my husbands mind and he remeber. Hell I can't remember it. But if we can bring to the front of our minds the very questions that the embassy focus on and the ones that are specific to your situation. Because you can never know.

Staged of course it is this whole immigration process is staged. The pictures come on really. Locations family friends, timing. it's all staged for their benefit

ROC I-751

N-400

Timeline

I hear what you're saying...but the questions on this list and the type of questions that they ask are not things like "what did your husband say to you before going to bed on Christmas Eve 2010"....they are questions that anyone shud know about the person they married. Thats ALL im saying. You quote me saying "i wud never sit down and practice a Q&A with my husband" as if its something bad...Sorry but to me it sounds fake. thats all im saying

I never said what you said is BAD, all am saying is its totally up to you to never sit down and not go through such questions with your spouse.... LAGOS embassy is not an easy place to go through.

Philippians 4 vs 6-7

Timeline

I never said what you said is BAD, all am saying is its totally up to you to never sit down and not go through such questions with your spouse.... LAGOS embassy is not an easy place to go through.

I understand AND I KNOW Lagos is not an easy embassy. Maybe I'll elaborate. Ive been thru this before. I did a fiance visa with someone who came to the USA and married me and then once he got wat he needed, he disappeared. Before he came, we sat down and giggled and did the "let me get to know you game". And I thought it was all cute and funny and I thought we were preparing ourself for wat was so important in life..which was to 'convince the embassy that we knew each other soo well".. Wat I realize now that I didnt realize then..was this is OUR lives!! This is not about wat an embassy thinks. This is about what WE shud know about each other..if WE know each other well enough to get married. My ex sailed thru the embassy without one second look and he turned out to be a scammer, so who really got fooled here? the embassy or me? fast forward 6 years...here I am married to a Nigerian man who I've lived with for the better part of 3 years now. I would never sit with him and start practicing questions. I wouldnt have married him if I didnt know him well enough or he know me well enough to get thru this embassy stuff. If we get denied, it wont be for lack of knowing each other..thats for sure. Im just saying all this to point out that you REALLY should know someone BEFORE all this petitioning/interview stuff.

Timeline

I understand AND I KNOW Lagos is not an easy embassy. Maybe I'll elaborate. Ive been thru this before. I did a fiance visa with someone who came to the USA and married me and then once he got wat he needed, he disappeared. Before he came, we sat down and giggled and did the "let me get to know you game". And I thought it was all cute and funny and I thought we were preparing ourself for wat was so important in life..which was to 'convince the embassy that we knew each other soo well".. Wat I realize now that I didnt realize then..was this is OUR lives!! This is not about wat an embassy thinks. This is about what WE shud know about each other..if WE know each other well enough to get married. My ex sailed thru the embassy without one second look and he turned out to be a scammer, so who really got fooled here? the embassy or me? fast forward 6 years...here I am married to a Nigerian man who I've lived with for the better part of 3 years now. I would never sit with him and start practicing questions. I wouldnt have married him if I didnt know him well enough or he know me well enough to get thru this embassy stuff. If we get denied, it wont be for lack of knowing each other..thats for sure. Im just saying all this to point out that you REALLY should know someone BEFORE all this petitioning/interview stuff.

WOW Ibogal thanks for the very personal story. Not many will be brave enough to admit they been scam. So thanks for that. Good looking out. I so agree with you.. But unfortunately many think 3000 emails, IM post and gosh we have to be Facebook friends constitutes a relationship or marriage. Yes and true enough Q & A does prepare the would be scammer to know you inside and out because truth be told most interviewee's fail because of their lack of confidence. I am a scammer and I go in knowing every little detail about you, your cousin and the mole on your aunties neck well i will fly through why would they suspect.

I mean I found out something about my husband just this week with filing out the school info on the DS-230. My husband taught english at a schiil for his NYSC. Like WOW. So oh well how ever you get the info is good.

This questions reminds me as a pastors aide we had a pre-marital questionnaire we gave each couple to fill out no right or wrong but makes for great discussion I feel thats all these are. Most the time we are so excited to talk, and text and just get a message from out love ones we don't get into all that deep stuff. Now I had the homor of living with my husband for 6 1/2 months in Nigeria and i got to see the good, bad and the ugly of him and so did he of me. It's all good we learn we grow.

S

ROC I-751

N-400

Timeline

WOW Ibogal thanks for the very personal story. Not many will be brave enough to admit they been scam. So thanks for that. Good looking out. I so agree with you.. But unfortunately many think 3000 emails, IM post and gosh we have to be Facebook friends constitutes a relationship or marriage. Yes and true enough Q & A does prepare the would be scammer to know you inside and out because truth be told most interviewee's fail because of their lack of confidence. I am a scammer and I go in knowing every little detail about you, your cousin and the mole on your aunties neck well i will fly through why would they suspect.

I mean I found out something about my husband just this week with filing out the school info on the DS-230. My husband taught english at a schiil for his NYSC. Like WOW. So oh well how ever you get the info is good.

This questions reminds me as a pastors aide we had a pre-marital questionnaire we gave each couple to fill out no right or wrong but makes for great discussion I feel thats all these are. Most the time we are so excited to talk, and text and just get a message from out love ones we don't get into all that deep stuff. Now I had the homor of living with my husband for 6 1/2 months in Nigeria and i got to see the good, bad and the ugly of him and so did he of me. It's all good we learn we grow.

S

Its not easy to tell people about being scammed. It makes me sound pathetic! But it's the truth and so when I try to make a comment about something, its not that Im critizing, Im trying to talk from experience...the good and the bad.

Thats great that you got to live with your husband for so long. AND in Nigeria!! you must have some great stories!! lol. As I said, my husband is Nigerian, so I have been to Nigeria a couple times, but for the most part we live in Ghana together. It almost seems like another world here compared to Nigeria. Nothing beats face to face visits and time spent together when it comes to getting to know each other. Congrats on making it happen!!

Edited by ibogal

Timeline

I dont think it is fake they are going to be talking to someone who is going to be switching things around to make them sound like they dont know us.. I think it gives them a little more self confidence for when they are talking to the interviewer. I am amazed sometimes the things my husband remembers about me and our conversations but that is between us he is comfortable with me... He is not going to be so comfortable with the person at the embassy. So thank you ladies I made a copy of your questions and sent them to my husband to look at to give him an idea of what he is going to have to deal with. And I am definetly not critizing your opinion just giving you another way of looking at what they are doing I think everyone has to handle this journey the way they want to so they can get to the end with some sanity left...

event.png

event.png

Well as I stated in my opening statement about the game. This was a game Divine and I started in late 2010 to get to know each other since we were not with each other day in and day out. But please be mindful...I did not marry Divine until February 2012. So yes, I knew all these things and more "before" I married him.

With that said, it is not anyone else's business what another's journey is. We are simple here to help each other, educate each other and above ALL ELSE, encourage and pray for one another.

I still go over these questions with my husband and they always prompt other questions and bring up things that we do not know about each other. As a added note, and I beleive most people who know me, know this, Divine and I both in our 40's we work very hard and we don't get to sit around and chat. We talk. This works for us. Hope this helps anyone else that needs it as well.

We did this as well & it helped so much. Hubby has a very scientific mind & he is very bad with dates. We studied these things like it were a test, because as you said "I don't know" will simply not work with Lagos. Also, add in laws, they asked Hubby about my brother's wife too.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.