Ta Ta

Vaccinations there or here ?

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks KK, I read that about the clinics at CDJ too. What I was hoping I could do is have them done at my local "centro de salud"- where some of them are even free of charge- and take the certs later to the Detroit Civil Surgeon that will fill the forms required for my AOS.

I guess I'll make some phone calls and see if this would work too :)

thanks for your help again!

Hmm - can't hurt to try, right? Maybe K can make a few calls (or you can on your next visit) and see if they would agree to this. Sure would save some money. Keep us posted on what you find out please!

Ok, now i'm confused... i thought that when you have the medical exam done in CDJ that the vaccinations are a requirement to get the medical clearance. Are you telling me that you can choose not to have the vaccinations done at the time of the medical exam for K1 in CDJ? In that case we could have them done after the wedding here in the US and my health insurance would cover the vaccinations for my husband.

February - March 2002 we met in Mexico

August 2002 - we are an 'official' couple

Many visits back to Mexico over 4years!

June 2006 - Officially Engaged!

August 28, 2006 I-129F mailed to Nebraska

August 30, 2006 received in Nebraska

September 7, 2006 NOA1 Notice Date

September 11, 2006 NOA1 received in snail mail

September 12, 2006 Touched (most likely to add Receipt Number to system)

September 13, 2006 Touched

September 14, 2006 Touched AGAIN!!! (what's up with this?)

Novemberr 13, 2006 NOA2 (77 DAYS!) YEEEE HAAAAA!!!!

December 6, 2006 Received Notice that everything was sent to Juarez

January 26, 2007 Juarez sends out packet

February 3, 2007 received packet from Juarez

February 6, 2007 going to medical & interview in Juarez!

February 6, 2007 RECEIVED VISA!!!

February 9, 2007 FLIGHT TO US!!!

Timeline
Ok, now i'm confused... i thought that when you have the medical exam done in CDJ that the vaccinations are a requirement to get the medical clearance. Are you telling me that you can choose not to have the vaccinations done at the time of the medical exam for K1 in CDJ? In that case we could have them done after the wedding here in the US and my health insurance would cover the vaccinations for my husband.

For a K1 visa, a medical exam is required. Vaccinations are not required until AOS in the US. Apparently some medical clinics and/or consulates make their own rules - CDJ is not one of them. They are aware that K1s are not required to get vaccinations.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty...tml#Vaccination

Vaccination Requirements

All applicants for immigrant visas are required to have the following vaccinations, if appropriate, for age, medical condition, or medical history:

Mumps

Measles

Rubella

Polio

Tetanus and diptheria toxoids

Pertussis

Influenza type B

Hepatitis B

Varicella

Pneumococcal

As a fiancé(e), you are not required to fulfill this requirement at the time of your medical examination for a fiancé(e) visa. However, you may want to do so. These vaccinations are required when you adjust status following your marriage.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

It seems to me that doctors try to force you to get vaccines (more money), even though they are not required (specifically in reference to the K-1 medical & interview in foreign country), and even if you've already had them when you were a child (most are good for life).

RE: discretionary power of consulate - Any suggestions on getting to the truth? Ask the foreign doctor? I doubt anybody answering the phone at the embassy will have the time of day or knowledge to answer this type of question: if the consular officer has discretionary power.

For a K1 visa, a medical exam is required. Vaccinations are not required until AOS in the US. Apparently some medical clinics and/or consulates make their own rules - CDJ is not one of them. They are aware that K1s are not required to get vaccinations.

Vaccination Requirements

All applicants for immigrant visas are required to have the following vaccinations, if appropriate, for age, medical condition, or medical history:

Mumps

Measles

Rubella

Polio

Pertussis

Influenza type B

Hepatitis B

Varicella

Pneumococcal

As a fiancé(e), you are not required to fulfill this requirement at the time of your medical examination for a fiancé(e) visa. However, you may want to do so. These vaccinations are required when you adjust status following your marriage.

4/28/06 sent I-129 package to NSC

5/1/06 NOA1

6/10/06 case transferred from NSC to CSC

7/3/06 rec'd IMBRA

7/11/06 touched - IMBRA rec'd by CSC

9/1/06 touched - email NOA2 - approved!

9/21/06 NVC letter stating package sent to Caracas

10/5/06 & 10/14/06 DHL website confirms CCS rec'd packages (hopefully one of them was mine)

12/10/06 Interview - passed

1/5/07 arrival to US

1/27/07 marriage

putting together AOS package - confused about medical - translated personal immunization record myself, went to ACS, paid fee, got documents in a sealed envelope "DO NOT OPEN"

3/26/07 mailed AOS & EAD to PO BOX

3/28/07 delivered

4/23/07 Biometrics

Timeline
Any suggestions on getting to the truth?

This IS the truth. Perhaps you could print out the web page, clarify the source and show it to the doctor. Most medical clinics appear to know the truth, but some clearly still try to push applicants to get them. And keep in mind that some vaccinations are necessary i.e. tetanus every 10 years. But they are NOT required for the K1 prior to the interview, and that is the point you would want to make to a pushy doctor.

Vaccination Requirements

Mumps

Measles

Rubella

Polio

Pertussis

Influenza type B

Hepatitis B

Varicella

Pneumococcal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I had the same sort of questions when Lucero was coming. As best I could tell you weren't going to get a visa from Colombia if you didn't take the shots. After it was all said and done I was glad.

To wait until you come here is a mistake. One of the immunizations is given as a series of 2 shots that must be spaced by 30 days so you will still come here in need of an injection. We got this at our local health department and got it all transcribed to the I693A for adjustment.

When you are making this decision you should look down the road. You will not receive work authorization until all of your ducks are in a row. The cost of a single weeks wages in the US will more than compensate a few dollars that you might save by getting this done under a US insurance plan.

Do the math. It seems like an issue right now but once you get here you will want to work and anything that slows that down costs money.

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

Timeline
I had the same sort of questions when Lucero was coming. As best I could tell you weren't going to get a visa from Colombia if you didn't take the shots. After it was all said and done I was glad.

To wait until you come here is a mistake. One of the immunizations is given as a series of 2 shots that must be spaced by 30 days so you will still come here in need of an injection. We got this at our local health department and got it all transcribed to the I693A for adjustment.

When you are making this decision you should look down the road. You will not receive work authorization until all of your ducks are in a row. The cost of a single weeks wages in the US will more than compensate a few dollars that you might save by getting this done under a US insurance plan.

Do the math. It seems like an issue right now but once you get here you will want to work and anything that slows that down costs money.

Good advice, especially if you intend to work, although I find shocking that Colombia can force K1 applicants to have the vaccines in advance when they are clearly NOT required by law for a K1 visa. I do know that Mexico does NOT require them of K1 applicants.

On another rather shocking twist, the civil surgeon I spoke with here in my city in the US explained the two- part shot situation. What I understood from him was that he would give the necessary shots and fill out all the paperwork and that, in reality, many people never return for the second shot. Which leads me to believe he is indicating all shots were given and that's all. Shocking again!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

From the web site of the consulate in Bogota:

"Since a fiancé(e) visa applicant is an intending immigrant, he/she must meet most of the same documentary requirements of an immigrant visa applicant. " AND:

"Recent changes in U.S. immigration law now require applicants to obtain certain vaccinations prior to the issuance of an Immigrant Visa."

The civil surgeon should probably not fill the I693A until the immunizations are complete. It sounds like yours was just a nice person.

If you read about these civil surgeons they are far more money grubbing than the panel physicians for the DS. Many will not complete the I 693A without another physical examination or charging exhorbitant fees for filling a simple form. America is the mother of capitalism and greed. My advice is to complete the immunizations before you come.

Waiting on AOS is not a cakewalk. The immigrant can so nothing here until certain hurdles are accomplished. We did everything by their rules and still it was 9 months after the visa until Lucero could work, drive, open bank accounts, and buy real estate. I would hate to think it was our own fault that it took so long. That would have been the case if she had not taken the immunizations prior to entry when they were offered.

Good advice, especially if you intend to work, although I find shocking that Colombia can force K1 applicants to have the vaccines in advance when they are clearly NOT required by law for a K1 visa. I do know that Mexico does NOT require them of K1 applicants.

On another rather shocking twist, the civil surgeon I spoke with here in my city in the US explained the two- part shot situation. What I understood from him was that he would give the necessary shots and fill out all the paperwork and that, in reality, many people never return for the second shot. Which leads me to believe he is indicating all shots were given and that's all. Shocking again!

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hachemi got the tetnus shot and a rubella titer which showed he was Immune. Due to a medical condition the immigration Dr in Algeria said the mumps and measle shot was "contraindicated." and marked it so on the vaccinations sheet. At the bottom was checked "Vaccination history incomplete" and "Applicant may be eligible for blanket waiver because vaccinations are not medically appropriate." Ok, what the heck is a blanket waiver and how do I do this? Does the Civil Surgeon do this? Thanks for any input.

Meriem (F)

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

Timeline
Hachemi got the tetnus shot and a rubella titer which showed he was Immune. Due to a medical condition the immigration Dr in Algeria said the mumps and measle shot was "contraindicated." and marked it so on the vaccinations sheet. At the bottom was checked "Vaccination history incomplete" and "Applicant may be eligible for blanket waiver because vaccinations are not medically appropriate." Ok, what the heck is a blanket waiver and how do I do this? Does the Civil Surgeon do this? Thanks for any input.

Meriem (F)

The rule is "All applicants for immigrant visas are required to have the following vaccinations, if appropriate, for age, medical condition, or medical history"

Since it says the vaccinations are not medically appropriate, chances are high he doesn't need them, but the Civil Surgeon in your area should confirm for you - I would just call one. Good Luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Meriem (F)

The rule is "All applicants for immigrant visas are required to have the following vaccinations, if appropriate, for age, medical condition, or medical history"

Since it says the vaccinations are not medically appropriate, chances are high he doesn't need them, but the Civil Surgeon in your area should confirm for you - I would just call one. Good Luck!

Thanks, KitKat, I will call tomorrow. :yes:

Meriem (F)

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Yes, it is ridiculous that the Ghana consulate has just ignored the law or has the power to override it. I asked about the vaccinations and was told it's required. No explanations were given. On the packet 4 cover sheet it lists the medical exam, blood test, and vaccinations as required to complete before visa will be issued and lists the ONE place in Accra where vaccinations are acceptable. We showed my fiance's vaccination card to that clinic showing he has already had a couple of the vaccinations and they said the consulate will not accept anything but their clinic's vaccination record. They could be lying in order to get the money, but the last thing we want now is a hold up for vaccinations. We already have an interview that is six months from the date of turning in packet 3. No one in the Accra consulate will give answers or explain anything.

--------------------------

Becoming a U.S. Citizen

2/15/10 Sent N-400 packet via Fedex to Lewisville TX

2/19/10 Received text message and email notification of application received, check cashed

2/27/10 Received biometrics appointment letter

3/19/10 Biometrics appointment

3/25/10 Received email notice that case will be sent for interview scheduling at local office

3/26/10 Received yellow letter asking to being more tax records/info to interview

3/27/10 Received interview letter (dated 3/24/10)

4/28/10 Interview appointment

6/5/10 Received oath letter (dated 6/1/10)

6/29/10 Oath ceremony date

Timeline
Yes, it is ridiculous that the Ghana consulate has just ignored the law or has the power to override it. I asked about the vaccinations and was told it's required. No explanations were given. On the packet 4 cover sheet it lists the medical exam, blood test, and vaccinations as required to complete before visa will be issued and lists the ONE place in Accra where vaccinations are acceptable. We showed my fiance's vaccination card to that clinic showing he has already had a couple of the vaccinations and they said the consulate will not accept anything but their clinic's vaccination record. They could be lying in order to get the money, but the last thing we want now is a hold up for vaccinations. We already have an interview that is six months from the date of turning in packet 3. No one in the Accra consulate will give answers or explain anything.

Perhaps when this is all over and your fiance his visa, you can send a letter to the District Director with responsibility for Ghana along with a copy of the law pointing this out . . . depends on how much you care at that point I guess.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.