geoffrey

Attorney advice k3-IR1

59 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Ok everyone need some help here please,

Last december i retained the help of an attorney to help my family get to the US. He advised me that we should apply for a k3 visa, so we did. Everything seemed to be going smoothly until I called nvc today. They advised me that my k3 and 129f have been closed, but that my i-130 will be sent on to the Peruvian consulate. In a few days here they will be asking my to pay the AOS and IV bills. I have only prepared the K3 packet and not the IR-1 packet.

I told my attorney this and he only replied with, he could help me with consular processing for an additional $2500. I feel as though I was lied to and am now trying to be a scammed in a way by this attorney.

My questions to the visa journey community are: Will i need to prepare another packet for the consulate? Should I consider paying this attorney anymore money? Do you think he knowingly did this? And just basically what should I do?

Please HELP ME!!!!!!!!!

Thank you in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Ok everyone need some help here please,

Last december i retained the help of an attorney to help my family get to the US. He advised me that we should apply for a k3 visa, so we did. Everything seemed to be going smoothly until I called nvc today. They advised me that my k3 and 129f have been closed, but that my i-130 will be sent on to the Peruvian consulate. In a few days here they will be asking my to pay the AOS and IV bills. I have only prepared the K3 packet and not the IR-1 packet.

I told my attorney this and he only replied with, he could help me with consular processing for an additional $2500. I feel as though I was lied to and am now trying to be a scammed in a way by this attorney.

My questions to the visa journey community are: Will i need to prepare another packet for the consulate? Should I consider paying this attorney anymore money? Do you think he knowingly did this? And just basically what should I do?

Please HELP ME!!!!!!!!!

Thank you in advance.

Another attorney that doesn't have a clue. Shocker! You need to read the Lingche NVC shortcuts. Look here:

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

Call NVC and tell them you want to get rid of your lawyer. 1 caveat. I noticed you said family. Are there children involved? That wil definitely change things if there are

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Timeline

prepare the CR1 packet unless you rather pay 2500 dollars and you still have to find the documents and send to the lawyer right???

Yeah exactly. He's gonna be the one that has to gather all the info and documents and then send them to the lawyer. All the lawyer is gonna do is fill out the forms and send them to NVC. Hardly seems like it should cost $2500, unless his lawyer is charging $1000 an hour.

ETA:

I paid $1800 to a lawyer for the entire process, and it was still a ripoff. The guy ended up delaying my case for 3 months minimum. I had to correct him no less than 10 times because he didn't have a clue about NVC and CR-1/IR-1. Every time I corrected him, it was from information on this website.

Edited by Karee

Timeline

Another attorney that doesn't have a clue. Shocker! You need to read the Lingche NVC shortcuts. Look here:

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

Call NVC and tell them you want to get rid of your lawyer. 1 caveat. I noticed you said family. Are there children involved? That wil definitely change things if there are

yes there are children involved here but they are both american citizens by birth. My stepdaughter was born in florida, and my son was born here in Peru, but we have already obtained his citzenship and us passport. My understanding is that this does not complicate anything and that I do not need to petition for them because they are already citizens.

Yeah exactly. He's gonna be the one that has to gather all the info and documents and then send them to the lawyer. All the lawyer is gonna do is fill out the forms and send them to NVC. Hardly seems like it should cost $2500, unless his lawyer is charging $1000 an hour.

ETA:

I paid $1800 to a lawyer for the entire process, and it was still a ripoff. The guy ended up delaying my case for 3 months minimum. I had to correct him no less than 10 times because he didn't have a clue about NVC and CR-1/IR-1. Every time I corrected him, it was from information on this website.

Could you please help me to answer the questions that I posted on my post. I appreciate the response greatly but looking to get that set of questions answered. Thank you so much.

Timeline

yes there are children involved here but they are both american citizens by birth. My stepdaughter was born in florida, and my son was born here in Peru, but we have already obtained his citzenship and us passport. My understanding is that this does not complicate anything and that I do not need to petition for them because they are already citizens.

Could you please help me to answer the questions that I posted on my post. I appreciate the response greatly but looking to get that set of questions answered. Thank you so much.

Cool. So that makes it easy since the wife is the only one trying to get the visa. When you filed for K-3, you also filed for IR-1/CR-1 at the same time. The I-130 is for the IR-1/CR-1, and the I-129F is for the K-3. Forget about the K-3 and go the IR-1/CR-1 route. Call NVC, tell them you want to get rid of your lawyer, and follow the instructions in the link I posted previously.

Timeline

Cool. So that makes it easy since the wife is the only one trying to get the visa. When you filed for K-3, you also filed for IR-1/CR-1 at the same time. The I-130 is for the IR-1/CR-1, and the I-129F is for the K-3. Forget about the K-3 and go the IR-1/CR-1 route. Call NVC, tell them you want to get rid of your lawyer, and follow the instructions in the link I posted previously.

It just seems 6 months into this process getting rid of my attorney is kinda of hard to do. There is more as well I would like to add. I paid up front for waiver preparation to this attorney. I am really beating myself up right now over choosing this man to assist us. I feel totally scammed by him. it looks as though he put me me in a really bad place where in a way I need to depend on him now. I paid him for the waiver help before our visa was even denied because he told me we would need one.

Timeline

It just seems 6 months into this process getting rid of my attorney is kinda of hard to do. There is more as well I would like to add. I paid up front for waiver preparation to this attorney. I am really beating myself up right now over choosing this man to assist us. I feel totally scammed by him. it looks as though he put me me in a really bad place where in a way I need to depend on him now. I paid him for the waiver help before our visa was even denied because he told me we would need one.

What's the waiver for if you don't mind me asking?

Timeline

What's the waiver for if you don't mind me asking?

overstay, but my wife has been back in her home country for six years already, and he have been married for almost four. I tried to live here, but it could not work for us financially and emotionally and have travelled here over ten times over the years. Overystay.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

your attorney did not scam you and he is right to get waiver for overstay. Its not his fault K3 became obsolete and CR1 track has to be pursued. So far he has delivered what you paid him for.

Reading your posts here I think you need to pay this guy the money and proceed because DIY is not always best for EVERYONE.

If you want to do it then follow the link karee gave you....

4027-dil-ko-choo-jaye-gi-shayari-collection-heart_91.gif?d=1205939495

Timeline

overstay, but my wife has been back in her home country for six years already, and he have been married for almost four. I tried to live here, but it could not work for us financially and emotionally and have travelled here over ten times over the years. Overystay.

That changes things. He's more than likely charging you extra to have to deal with the waiver. Still seems expensive if you asked me, but your case is not a normal one.

Timeline

your attorney did not scam you and he is right to get waiver for overstay. Its not his fault K3 became obsolete and CR1 track has to be pursued. So far he has delivered what you paid him for.

Reading your posts here I think you need to pay this guy the money and proceed because DIY is not always best for EVERYONE.

If you want to do it then follow the link karee gave you....

Is'nt everything I need for the IR-1 packet already in the k-3 packet? NVC informed me that the k-3 information will be sent along with my 1-130 to the consulate I believe.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

exactly the packet should be almost identical just go to the link and read the documents needed and cross check with your current packet. you should be fine. dont stress but plz do check it against the list.

4027-dil-ko-choo-jaye-gi-shayari-collection-heart_91.gif?d=1205939495

Timeline

exactly the packet should be almost identical just go to the link and read the documents needed and cross check with your current packet. you should be fine. dont stress but plz do check it against the list.

with that being said, in all respect to you, do you think it is necesary to pay for the attorney to help with that? thank you so much. I am stressed here

Timeline

Is'nt everything I need for the IR-1 packet already in the k-3 packet? NVC informed me that the k-3 information will be sent along with my 1-130 to the consulate I believe.

It's totally different. K-3 NVC doesn't do anything. They just forward the petition to the consulate in Peru. THen the consualte in Peru sends out a packet 3 asking for all kinds of forms to be filled out, police report, medical etc. and submitted to the consulate in Peru.

CR-1/IR-1 all of the documents required by te embassy are submitted to NVC. The only thing submitted to the embassy is the medical and relationship evidence.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.