D.K.

Intro and Worries

8 posts in this topic

Hi Mena Community,

I'm very happy to have found you! I'm an US-born Vietnamese gal and hubby is Egyptian. We've been married 5 years now.

quickie history of us:

We met in 2006 while hubby was in the US on business. I moved to Germany (where he's lived for 25+ years, unconditional residency permit)in 2007 to be with him because he refused to come to the US after hearing that some people were telling me that he was using me for a greencard. He has a B1/B2 visa since '96 and is 2 or 3x in the US each year. We married in 2007 and we had our baby in 2008. We've stayed in Germany all this time, but now (at my request), we're filing for his greencard -DCF- to move to the US. I really miss my family.

Hubby is very traditional. He is the provider for our family, and he does a wonderful job. I haven't worked since I moved to Germany, not because he demanded it, but because he provides well enough that I can stay home with our son. I'm great with crafts, and I've made and sold things online just as a hobby.

In the US, we'll initially be staying with my parents until we're comfortable enough to buy a house because we'd rather not lease. We've stayed with my parents for months at a time during visits in the past, and everything was fine. Hubby and my parents get along well, and we always pay the electric bill and all grocery bills when we're there so my parents don't feel a financial strain.

My worry is this: I have a job lined up immediately after arrival. I want to work right away for the insurance benefits. Hubby will have to wait until his SS card/Greencard arrive before working. He also has work opportunities also lined up, but for the first month or 2, I will most likely be the main provider.

I'm worried about how this will affect him.

We have a great network of friends and family there to support us, and we know of 2 places where hubby can go and smoke his shisha, eat ME food, and meet other arabic speaking people. I plan to take him to the Egyptian embassy as well to get addtl info about the Egyptian community in Houston. We will initially have 1 car, and we plan to get another one after 2-3 months.

What do you think? Am I worrying too much, or will hubby's transition to the US be difficult until he becomes the main provider again?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions you can offer to help me.

Our Story:

Apr '06 - We met in Houston, TX when he was on a business trip

Jul '06 - I went to Germany to visit him at his invitation

Oct '06 - He came back to Houston, TX to visit me and ask my parents for my hand in marriage

Jan '07 - I moved to Germany

May '07 - We got married <3

Jun '08 - Our little munchkin was born <3 <3

4 years later we decide we want to move to the US.....

20 Jun 12 - We went to the Frankfurt Embassy and submitted my I-130 with all accompanying paperwork at window 40. It was looked over immediately and I was sent to pay the fee at window 23. I took the receipt of payment back to window 40 and was given the DS-230 form for Hubby to fill out. Lucky for us, I already had one finished for him. We turned in the DS-230 at window 22 and received our case number and the IV Document Checklist.

Presently, Hubby is back in his native country getting his police report and birth certificate. Upon return, he will update his vac/immunizations and do his Medical Examination. We are waiting for I-864 joint sponsor paperwork to be returned to us, and then we can send everything in with a Request for Interview. We have a target date of mid October to establish residence in the US.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

He can work upon US entry. He ought to have his SS card within a few weeks. His passport will be stamped upon entry and that will act as his GC until the physical card is produced and mailed.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

He can work upon US entry. He ought to have his SS card within a few weeks. His passport will be stamped upon entry and that will act as his GC until the physical card is produced and mailed.

thanks!

will he need to wait for the SS card before working? or immediately start working upon arrival?

ETA: You're screen name makes me smile :)

Edited by D.K.

Our Story:

Oct '06 - He came back to Houston, TX to visit me and ask my parents for my hand in marriage

20 Jun 12 - We went to the Frankfurt Embassy and submitted my I-130 with all accompanying paperwork at window 40. It was looked over immediately and I was sent to pay the fee at window 23. I took the receipt of payment back to window 40 and was given the DS-230 form for Hubby to fill out. Lucky for us, I already had one finished for him. We turned in the DS-230 at window 22 and received our case number and the IV Document Checklist.

Presently, Hubby is back in his native country getting his police report and birth certificate. Upon return, he will update his vac/immunizations and do his Medical Examination. We are waiting for I-864 joint sponsor paperwork to be returned to us, and then we can send everything in with a Request for Interview. We have a target date of mid October to establish residence in the US.

Good news for you - he can work immediately - as soon as he has entered the US with DCF. His passport will have the I-551 stamp in after he leaves the airport. This establishes him as a permanent resident and he can use this in place of his green card while it comes. I did!

As for his social security number - he just has to take his passport and paperwork to the local social security office and they will order his number there. Mine took 7 days - if he has not received it after 10 days he can go back to the office and they will tell him his new number from the system and give him some paperwork to show any potential employers that he has been assigned a number and he is just waiting for the physical copy to come in the mail.

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1669/~/time-frame-for-processing-a-social-security-card-for-a-legal-alien

So he could be working in under 2 weeks

Good luck

thanks for your help!

this news makes me happy :) hopefully, hubby will settle in well and not feel so out of sorts.

Our Story:

It's promising to hear that he has potential employment possibilities lined up as well, for a lot of people coming here from MENA the employment opportunities can be less than thrilling, especially in the first few years. The expectations vs reality gap, in regards to work and income, has been stressful for a lot of couples on this forum anyways.

The whole refusal to move here because someone made some comments about using you for a visa is really weird though. Who cares? Plenty of people are going to think all kinds of off base, insulting things-it happens. It just seems really weird to let that keep you from moving somewhere you had planned to live.

Edited by sandinista!

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

He was insulted that people would think that he was using me to get a green card.... He has a great deal of pride and a high sense of honor, so it got his back up. I didn't mind moving to Germany, and in fact, have really enjoyed my life here for the most part. If I didnt miss my family so much and want our son to have a strong relationship with them, I wouldn' t leave. Healthcare benefits alone would keep me here, not to mention the educational advantages as well.

Yes, we are lucky to both have employment lined up. I hope the transition goes well.

He was insulted that people would think that he was using me to get a green card.... He has a great deal of pride and a high sense of honor, so it got his back up. I didn't mind moving to Germany, and in fact, have really enjoyed my life here for the most part. If I didnt miss my family so much and want our son to have a strong relationship with them, I wouldn' t leave. Healthcare benefits alone would keep me here, not to mention the educational advantages as well.

Yes, we are lucky to both have employment lined up. I hope the transition goes well.

Our Story:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.