abbi627

gifts?

33 posts in this topic

Thank you all so much for your replies. You gave me ideas that I had not even thought of. I am looking forward to going shopping. I'm normally not that crazy about shopping but this is going to be fun!

You're welcome!

The first time I came, I brought gifts, but I didn't realize what "anything" meant. I thought it meant being coy; it really means they'll be thrilled with whatever come out of the suitcase.

This time the local dollar stores were my friends and I shopped my face off at those (pens, pencils, crayons, candies, etc.).

I also brought things people asked me to shop for and bring because they just can't get certain things here, like good contact lens solution and a waffle iron (yes, I had a waffle iron in my luggage!) and eBay is not an option in most of this part of the world. They were all happy reimburse me. You may want to do the same if you have the available weight in your suitcases.

Have fun!

I learned on subsequent trips that they really appreciated Aleve pain medicine. One time someone mentioned a headache & I gave him or her an Aleve. After that I would bring a bottle per aunt/uncle's family & they appreciated it. Don't know if they have it/don't have it in Morocco, but they appreciate it.

Whenever we go back to Egypt, it's all about perfumes/colognes, levi's and H&M clothing, and sugar substitutes (for diabetic family members).

ETA: watches and shoes are also wonderfully received.

Edited by D.K.

Our Story:

Apr '06 - We met in Houston, TX when he was on a business trip

Jul '06 - I went to Germany to visit him at his invitation

Oct '06 - He came back to Houston, TX to visit me and ask my parents for my hand in marriage

Jan '07 - I moved to Germany

May '07 - We got married <3

Jun '08 - Our little munchkin was born <3 <3

4 years later we decide we want to move to the US.....

20 Jun 12 - We went to the Frankfurt Embassy and submitted my I-130 with all accompanying paperwork at window 40. It was looked over immediately and I was sent to pay the fee at window 23. I took the receipt of payment back to window 40 and was given the DS-230 form for Hubby to fill out. Lucky for us, I already had one finished for him. We turned in the DS-230 at window 22 and received our case number and the IV Document Checklist.

Presently, Hubby is back in his native country getting his police report and birth certificate. Upon return, he will update his vac/immunizations and do his Medical Examination. We are waiting for I-864 joint sponsor paperwork to be returned to us, and then we can send everything in with a Request for Interview. We have a target date of mid October to establish residence in the US.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

I learned on subsequent trips that they really appreciated Aleve pain medicine. One time someone mentioned a headache & I gave him or her an Aleve. After that I would bring a bottle per aunt/uncle's family & they appreciated it. Don't know if they have it/don't have it in Morocco, but they appreciate it.

thats very true. over the counter medications are hard to find and extremely expensive.

4027-dil-ko-choo-jaye-gi-shayari-collection-heart_91.gif?d=1205939495

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

ohhhh I am glad you asked

I found a great gift for my husbands father. small solar lights for the front of the house garden leading up to the front door.

they were not heavy for the suitcase and I gave about six. They loved it. Also planting seeds!!! Flowers and bulbs.

the American chocolates were fun and I found twix and kit kats were the best again the lightest in weight so I brought jumbo bags of them.

American chewing gum. I was told by the owner of the English Language school I volunteered at that American gum is different :blink: I had given him Bubblicious. I just think it is very sugary :wacko:

zip lock bags!!! I used them in everything in my suitcase and brought many more for the ladies of the family.

I brought a lot of tylonal and Advil that I left with written directions on how to use. just to be safe!!!

Oh for the many sisters I brought a myriad of colors of Revlon nail polishes. There is a section in the larger stores in Rabat that offer the products like Revlon but it is costly. they were great little gifts and light weight for the suitcase.

Perfumes are personal and they can find them all over the souks..I did not attempt that.

For the kids, I brought Frisbees,rubber bouncy balls, large assortment of coloring markers,crayolas and coloring books that I did projects with them to get to know each other better.

Oh and ben gay rub. this was a request from one of the elder family member..they heard about it and needed to try it for muscle pain. it was very welcomed yet a simple gift.

I think the more practical the better...at least it ended up that way for my situation.

As another post suggested...maybe t shirts that say the city you are from??? And I found cameras are expensive there...where as here we can get them for very little. I would recommend this as nice gifts.

event.png

event.png

Filed: Timeline

The first time I went I kept it sort of light, I got my future-mom-in-law a personal tea brewing cup {basically there is a strainer WITHIN the cup so you put the tea in the top and then just pour hot water in and bam! instant personal tea} with really pretty cherry blossoms covering it and I gave her a beaded necklace that was my grandmothers. I also brought some cookies {which unfortunately were crushed in my bag but tasted fine all the same lol} For my future sister in law I gave her some baby items for her newborn. I brought Ahmed quite a bit of coins because he collects them, I also had a hockey jersey for him but unfortunately I forgot it :wacko:

As for this time, I got my sister-in-law some bracelets, earrings, a nice make-up palette from the local Sephora, and some braided headbands to either bling out her hijab {lol} or just to wear in the house! I will also get her baby some age appropriate toys. I got my mom in law a pair of really soft Pajamas from JCpenney and am going to print a photo out of us and put it in a nice photo frame. I got Ahmed some t-shirts, shorts, and am in the process of making him a personal home-made gift.

I'll also pick up some chocolates for the rest of the family because I don't know their preferences in gifts so I will just stick with something general that still shows I put some effort into remembering.

Another advice is check the ingredients of any food you may bring to make sure there is no pork/gelatin/alcohol products in what you bring!

Edited by Margaret n Ahmed

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Name brand/designer clothing

Apparel with logos (sports teams, cities - particularly NYC and LA)

Perfume/cologne

Internationally recognized brand mascaras and eye pencils (can't go wrong with black), lip stick/gloss, and nail polishes (L'Oreal, Revlon, etc.)

Pens, pencils, colored pencils, markers, Sharpies, and crayons OMG crayons

Anything Disney

Anything Barbie

Anything Victoria's Secret and Bath & Body sells

Hard candies (hint: Jolly Ranchers)

Jelly beans

Bubble gum

Boxed hair coloring

Maple syrup

*Magic Erasers

*Comet/Ajax powder

*A decent vegetable peeler

*You will be the favoritest daughter-in-law ever.

They sell Maple Syrup here at Metro :yes::D and Pancakes Mix (L) ...Thanks God :P:lol:

Edited by Tuti & Baher

"In everything you do, put God first, and He will direct you and crown your efforts with success." - Proverbs 3:6

Marriage 12-29-2011

I-130 Sent : 03-13-2013

I-130 NOA1 : 03-19-2013

I-130 RFE : N/A

I-130 RFE Sent : N/A

I-130 Approved : 06-03-2013

NVC Received : 06-07-2013

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill 08-07-2013

Pay I-864 Bill 08-07-2013

Receive I-864 Package : 08-07-2013

Return Completed DS-3032:08-08-2013

Return Completed I-864 : 08-22-2013

Receive IV Bill : 08-22-2013

Pay IV Bill : 08-22-2013

Receive Instruction Package 08-22-2013

Case Completed at NVC : 10-18-2013

Expedite Request: 11-12-2013

Expedite Approval: 11-18-2013

NVC Left: 11-19-2013

Consulate Received: 11-22-2013

Packet 4 Received: 11-26-2013 (By phone)

Interview Date: 12-01-2013

Interview Result :Approveeeed!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

purses

cosmetics

wallets

T- shirts are well appreciated by young male adults(skulls, cars, funny quotes, european type...do not seem to like that much city names or sporty ones-except soccer) :whistle:

jersey of messi lol :rofl: and other soccer players.

See's chocolates and candies

perfumes and men colognes are also loved by everyone.

cute pens, pencils (hello kitty, disney, etc)

vitamins

sweaters, cardigans men (american size runs like a size bigger)

sleepers

body sprays

sun glasses B-)

sandals for men.

Edited by Tuti & Baher

"In everything you do, put God first, and He will direct you and crown your efforts with success." - Proverbs 3:6

Marriage 12-29-2011

I-130 Sent : 03-13-2013

I-130 NOA1 : 03-19-2013

I-130 RFE : N/A

I-130 RFE Sent : N/A

I-130 Approved : 06-03-2013

NVC Received : 06-07-2013

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill 08-07-2013

Pay I-864 Bill 08-07-2013

Receive I-864 Package : 08-07-2013

Return Completed DS-3032:08-08-2013

Return Completed I-864 : 08-22-2013

Receive IV Bill : 08-22-2013

Pay IV Bill : 08-22-2013

Receive Instruction Package 08-22-2013

Case Completed at NVC : 10-18-2013

Expedite Request: 11-12-2013

Expedite Approval: 11-18-2013

NVC Left: 11-19-2013

Consulate Received: 11-22-2013

Packet 4 Received: 11-26-2013 (By phone)

Interview Date: 12-01-2013

Interview Result :Approveeeed!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Funny....I just was reminded. On my last visit I made sure to bring Maple Syrup for the pancakes I make in the mornings. put it in a plastic container and the trusty zip lock...

I still loved it but he never did find it appealing.

Strike one. :wacko:

event.png

event.png

my husband doesn't like maple syrup either. he has a total aversion to fenugreek, and it reminds him too much of fenugreek. he makes honey butter or uses jam instead. which just leaves more for me :)

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Cool cool! Are they thinking eastside, westside, north?

I live in a se suburb, but work on the complete opposite end of the nw suburbs. What do they do?

Have they visited before? House or apartment to live in?

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.