9 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Some of you may know me from way, way back. My wife came over in October of 2003 on a K-1, and we still do not have a green card for her. Our story is a long one of lost files, multiple A-numbers, and mix-ups during moves; all on the government's part. We hoped that our AoS interview would bring with it some good news.

On February 2nd, we had the interview in Baltimore, and it seemed to go very well. However, we did not get a stamp in the passport, and the interviewer said that the file had to go back to the MSC for approval by the next level of immigration worker. Thinking nothing is wrong, we left.

A week later, a notice arrives saying that my wife has to be fingerprinted again (Fingerprints expire every 15 months; my wife's extreme wait necessitated getting them done a second time.). My wife was understandably distraught at the process being held up, so I called our senator's immigration liaison for help finidng out the status.

The phone call afterwards was not good news--apparently, my wife's security background checks has not been finished yet, and, thanks to laws passed after 9-11, there is absolutely no way for anyone to find out how long that could take (To prevent the corruption of the security process neither immigration officers nor congressional representatives can be informed of where in the security process applications stand.). She said that she couldn't even make an inquiry until 3 years after the process has started. In her own words, she said, "You could get your green card in 2 days, you could get your green card in 2 years; there is no way to know." She went on to recommend reapplying for advanced parole, as she said the interview is no indication that the process was actually over.

S yeah, I'm looking for sympathy--I'm dealing with a very depressed wife, and the fact that it looks like we're going to hit the big 3 year mark without a green card. I'm also hoping some people have had similar experiences in the interview and can reassure me that nothing is wrong. As of now, my wife can't stand this country, and I can't say that I blame her. Please tell me that we're not alone.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ouch! don't know what to say other than... sorry... and I'm wishing you all the best! That sure is a rough row to hoe... sending lots of encouragement your way... with lots of prayers!

Blessings,

Lynne

Tho' lovers be lost, love shall not... and death shall have NO dominion!

http://www.geocities.com/pulpi33/A1.htm

114959908992789.gif

The will of God will never take you,

to where the grace of God will not protect you.

You certainly are not alone, this process is peppered with #######. The process is rarely fair and I understand your wifer's feelings. We are coming upon 2 years mark and no AOS interview in sight, although our "catch" in the process was through the K1 part, we still are no where near our end.

Know that you are not alone, although I know that is not at all much comfort. Hang in there - it will be a bad dream eventually.

Laura (F)

Edited by lal_brandow

Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline

I'm sorry to hear that your wife still hasn't got her GC yet. My husband and I understand first hand the frustration of waiting for the background check to clear, after a "successful" AOS interview. Ours ended up taking close to a year (11.5 months to be precise) after the interview before clearing and a GC approval issued.

I would like to emphasize to you and your wife that this is not an indication of something being wrong with your case. In some ways it's just a statistics game -- some cases get held up and yours happens to be one of the ones taking longer. You are not alone, there are other couples going through the same wait.

Which doesn't make it any easier, but please reassure your wife that the delay is not a reason to worry. The approval will come, in due course. In the meantime keep her EAD and AP renewed, so she can work and travel just like everyone else can.

Now here's the totally unscientific part about wait times for the security check to clear. Of course, every case is individual and it's going to take as long as it takes. But, since this is a topic of interest for me, I have followed people's clearance times on various forums. I have not written anything down but it seems to me that:

- the majority (maybe 80-90%) get cleared within 3 months

- of the remainder, most get cleared within 6 months

- then there are a handful that take a year or even longer

So in all probability she will get cleared within 3-6 months. In the meantime, if you want to be proactive, the one thing you *can* do is make an infopass appt every 3-4 months and check in with them -- to remind them that you exist if nothing else. If it takes longer than 6-7 months, consider involving your political representative(s). Remember that you have three people representing you -- 2 senators and 1 lower house rep -- so if one is not helpful, try the other two.

"When all else fails, read the instructions."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Our hearts go out to you. Your case is everyones worst nightmare here. I wish that there was something we could say to make things easier but that would be impossible.. Your poor wife has every reason to be angry.

She has waited entirely too long.

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes you are not alone. there a couple of us who get snagged in this process. My I-130 took 298 days to process! And I had to get my fingerprints redone. Here's me sending you and your wife good thoughts! Know that as each day passes you are closer to the end, but at least you have each other.

Barbara (Canada) & Dallas (USC)

AOS

Nov 13 2005 EAD & I-485 sent to Chicago Lockbox

Nov 22, 2005 EAD & I-485 NOA1

Dec 15, 2005 Biometrics for EAD & I-485

Dec 19, 2005 EAD & I-485 Touched

Jan 21, 2006 Rec'd I-485 Fingerprint Reschedule Notice (AHHH!!!)

Feb 10, 2006 Fingerprint App't

Feb 1, 2006 EAD Approved!!!!

Feb 11, 2006 Rec'd EAD card

Feb 13, 2006 Applied for SSN

Feb 17, 2006 Rec'd SSN

Feb 23, 2006 I-485 Transferred to CSC (AHHH!!)

Mar 02, 2006 I-485 Has been received at CSC

Mar 13, 2006 I-485 Touched

Mar 14, 2006 I-485 Touched

Apr 15 & 25 2006 emailed CSC for status inquiry on I-485

Apr 26 2006 received a response from CSC, another response in 60 days (ahhhhh!!!)

Apr 27, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 17, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 19, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 20, 2006 I-485 Touched

July 3, 2006 emailed CSC again, no response given in the allotted 60 days time frame.

July 27, 2006 received a response from CSC, another response will be given in 30 days.. ha ha ha.

***app sent back to Missouri ***app sent to Chicago

Aug 21 2006 touched

Sept 29 2006 3rd year Anniversay

October 13, 2006 Immigration Interview - Need to return with Long Form Birth Certificate

October 13, 2006 Long Form Birth Cert ordered with expediated shipping

October 18, 2006 Birth Cert Received

October 19, 2006 2nd Immigration Interview - APPROVED

5-20 business days for the Green Card to arrive, maybe I'll be back to see my family before Christmas?

I am so sorry this is taking so long. But on the bright side, when you finally do get the green card it will be a ten year one!

Annie UK

2004 Awaiting my divorce

Decree nisi 29th July YAYYYYYYYYYY

15th Dec DIVORCED AT LAST!!!!

Dec 23 decree arrives, I-129F sent to Nebraska!!!

Dec 27 NOA1

Feb 16 2005 NOA2 (51 days)

May 17 INTERVIEW 9am!!!! (day 141) Approved

May 30 Arrived POE Chicago (flight delayed!!)

June 13 applied for SSN

June 30 Wedding on beach at sunset awwwww

AOS 2005

July 11 Sent off AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago

Sep 1 I485 transferred to CSC

Sep 15 EAD and AP approved (59 days)

Nov 25 Green card and Welcome letter arrive in mail (no interview) 130 days

Removing Conditions 2007

Aug 15 I-751 sent to Nebraska

Sep 14 NOA1 rec'd, transferred to CSC again

Sep 21 rec'd bios appt for 9/28/07

Jan 26 2008 Approved. 10 Yr card received 1/28/08.

Naturalization 2008

Sep 8 N-400 sent to Nebraska

Sep 11 Priority date

Oct 7 Biometrics

July 10 2009 - Interview, approved!

Aug 20 Oath ceremony

Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline
I am so sorry this is taking so long. But on the bright side, when you finally do get the green card it will be a ten year one!

I certainly hope it will be -- but to the OP, you should be aware that it may or may not be a ten year card. Some DOs will only issue a 2 year card if you are adjusting from a K-1 visa, no matter how long you have been married on the day of approval. Hope that is not the case with your DO, but wanted to warn you that it's a possibility.

"When all else fails, read the instructions."

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry about your case. Hope you get some good news soon

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.