Gemmie

Long time!

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I think there are a few people here that might remember me. I haven't been on here in forever, but I miss it! So am going to try and keep up with it again.

Updates on me: Me and the hubby celebrated my being in the U.S for three years the other day. In some ways, it feels like forever, and in other ways, it has flown by. I am doing very well, and finally feel like it's home here. The only thing I want to change is that I haven't really made any real friends still- I did make some through a class and through work, but then they were usually students or travellers and ended up moving away. But I am thinking of taking another class this year to meet more people. Other than that, I am still working full-time at the hospital and prison doing research. I've been trained and certified in M.I, a type of therapy, and working with adult inmates helping them have safe sex after release. And last week my boss said she's sending me for further therapy training so I can work with teenagers in prison. It will only be a part-time thing (at the University of Rhode Island), but if I can wiggle myself in there full-time, I can grab myself a State job with all the benefits. Not bad considering I only have a Bachelors degree! :D

Me and Bill are living in a little village miles away from anything, and I like it that way. We're 2 minutes walk from the essentials (pizza place, post office, library, park and bakery) and we have a lovely river outside our apartment, which I LOVE. We have two sister cats that we adopted and they make us laugh every day with their crazy antics. One of them has OCD (she gets very upset if we don't leave the dryer door open) and the other likes water (literally climbs all over me after a shower). We are very happy together, and nothing has changed in our relationship in this process except we've gone through ups and downs and I guess it's deepened. I'm trying not to lose sight of the earlier times of being grateful to even be in the same room- I think it's hard to remember that during every day life and its stressors, worrying about money or work or family.

Immigration-wise, we got our NOA for Removing Conditions last October, so it's been 8 or 9 months and we've heard nothing since Biometrics. But hoping it comes in soon. I can apply for Citizenship this year is I want to, and I think I'm gonna go for it. At first I had an identity crisis ("I am 100% BRITISH AND NOTHING ELSE!") but then decided it's just a passport and who I am will not change.

Anyways there's my news... fill me in with updates! :D

Filed: Timeline

Welcome back, Gemmie! It's nice to see you again.

Great to hear that you are progressing in your position. Once you naturalize, consider applying for a position with the Federal prison system instead of State. The money, benefits, and opportunities far exceed the State prison system, not to mention the environment. Just my 2 cents worth. :)

iagree.gif

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Welcome back! Glad everything is going well for you both.

Citizenship means that you can finally be rid of USCIS! How can you turn that down? :lol:

I agree with applying for a federal job, naturalization could open some more doors for you. Plus you can vote and do all the things other people do. :)

Hi Gemma. Good to see you on VJ, even though we keep up. The removing conditions has really slowed down. Seems to be taking twice as long as ours took. About the time you get the 10 year card, it'll be time to file for naturalization. I'm so pleased he did it. I'm way more excited than he was. I don't have to look at everything with an eye to save it for immigration evidence. Lots of old stuff I can shred now.

You need to hook up with Vicky of Vicky and Larry. She's having a hard time. I told her about you and that it was pretty crappy for you for a pretty long time. Maybe you can encourage her that there's a rainbow out there somewhere. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/365733-transition-issues/

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

300245_10150811267605541_1423581730_n.jpg

:D(L)

Mio (top) "standing" on Mayu (bottom). They are actually very close, but I love this photo.

Edited by Gemmie

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.