KC626

Marrying in UK on student visa, then bringing husband to US?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Greetings everyone!

I would be so grateful if anyone who is more knowledgeable than I am about the immigration process (which is probably everyone, including my dog) would cast an eye over this plan and help steer me in the right direction.

I entered the United Kingdom on a student visa in September 2011; my student visa expires November 2012. I met my fiance (British citizen) on my course; we recently became engaged.

We had been planning to file a K-1 visa to bring him to live permanently in the US; we had hoped to have a religious wedding ceremony in his parents' Greek Orthodox church in England in Spring 2013 while waiting for the K-1 to process and simply not fill out any legal paperwork, then be legally wed in the US in Autumn 2013 once he was approved to move to the US. However, I have decided this plan is too risky--I don't want the government to think we're trying to pull the wool over their eyes by having even a non-legal marriage ceremony, plus I'm not sure the Church will go for it--so now that plan is scrapped.

I am now contemplating the following course of action: getting legally married in the UK and then filing a CR-1. I want to do this as soon as possible so that we minimize time apart. My mother has kindly offered to hire an immigration lawyer as a wedding gift (thanks mom!), and my mother can receive my mail in the US, so I have agents working for me there. So here is my proposed agenda:

1. Get married legally in the UK as soon as possible.

2. Begin filing CR-1 related paperwork.

3. Return to the US before my student visa expires (October of this year).

4. Go back to the UK after CR-1 has been approved (or during the approval process), have a ceremony in his church, then bring him home to America.

Does anyone see any glaring problems with this plan? (I am worried particularly about whether I can be married while on a student visa in the UK; I don't necessarily expect anyone here to know that for sure, but if you all have any UK visa trivia under your belts, now's the time...). This plan seems to minimize time spent apart (even if the CR-1 takes 12 months to process, if we can start it at the end of July, I could have him in the US next summer), but again, please let me know if I am deluding myself!

Thanks so much all!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

The CR-1 sounds like a good plan. The only issue I see with the affidavit of support, as you are a student.

You could ask your question about marrying on a student visa in the UK in our UK forum, they members there may know.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

The CR-1 sounds like a good plan. The only issue I see with the affidavit of support, as you are a student.

You could ask your question about marrying on a student visa in the UK in our UK forum, they members there may know.

I didn't even know the UK forums could answer those kinds of things! Thanks for the recommendation.

By affidavit of support, do you mean the I-864? My darling mother has agreed to be a joint sponsor, so she will promise the government to heroically step in if my fiance ever becomes destitute.

Anything else I've overlooked?

I didn't even know the UK forums could answer those kinds of things! Thanks for the recommendation.

By affidavit of support, do you mean the I-864? My darling mother has agreed to be a joint sponsor, so she will promise the government to heroically step in if my fiance ever becomes destitute.

Anything else I've overlooked?

Unless you have some kind of unusually difficult situation, you can do without the lawyer.

If you can read and follow instructions the lawyers are basically just good at depleting your money IMO.

As far as the K1. That is visa you guys to marry in USA. Cr1 is visa you apply for if you marry there, then file

Good luck

Grats

Edited by Bule&Cantik

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Sounds like you are all set.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Greetings everyone!

I would be so grateful if anyone who is more knowledgeable than I am about the immigration process (which is probably everyone, including my dog) would cast an eye over this plan and help steer me in the right direction.

I entered the United Kingdom on a student visa in September 2011; my student visa expires November 2012. I met my fiance (British citizen) on my course; we recently became engaged.

We had been planning to file a K-1 visa to bring him to live permanently in the US; we had hoped to have a religious wedding ceremony in his parents' Greek Orthodox church in England in Spring 2013 while waiting for the K-1 to process and simply not fill out any legal paperwork, then be legally wed in the US in Autumn 2013 once he was approved to move to the US. However, I have decided this plan is too risky--I don't want the government to think we're trying to pull the wool over their eyes by having even a non-legal marriage ceremony, plus I'm not sure the Church will go for it--so now that plan is scrapped.

I am now contemplating the following course of action: getting legally married in the UK and then filing a CR-1. I want to do this as soon as possible so that we minimize time apart. My mother has kindly offered to hire an immigration lawyer as a wedding gift (thanks mom!), and my mother can receive my mail in the US, so I have agents working for me there. So here is my proposed agenda:

1. Get married legally in the UK as soon as possible.

2. Begin filing CR-1 related paperwork.

3. Return to the US before my student visa expires (October of this year).

4. Go back to the UK after CR-1 has been approved (or during the approval process), have a ceremony in his church, then bring him home to America.

Does anyone see any glaring problems with this plan? (I am worried particularly about whether I can be married while on a student visa in the UK; I don't necessarily expect anyone here to know that for sure, but if you all have any UK visa trivia under your belts, now's the time...). This plan seems to minimize time spent apart (even if the CR-1 takes 12 months to process, if we can start it at the end of July, I could have him in the US next summer), but again, please let me know if I am deluding myself!

Thanks so much all!

I think I remember some issue regarding U.S. citizens marrying in the UK--they need a special permit or visa or something, but I could be remembering wrong. This page might help: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/while-in-uk/marriageandcivilpartnership/eligibility/

I think it says that foreigners who are already in the UK can get married, but they have to go to a special "designated office" to give notice.

Edited by grrrrreat

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I got married in Germany on a student visa...it's not the UK, but it's the same idea. Absolutely no problems. they just need evidence that I'm in the country legally. Also, I had to travel to a consulate to get a sworn affidavit that I am 1) not in the military 2) free to marry and 3) free from STDs. Seriously. This might be unique to Germany though :)

Good luck & congrats!

Pre-VISA

November 14, 2009 - met randomly in a park in Atlanta, talked 1 hour

November 16, 2009 - started emailing daily

December 11, 2009 - flew to DC for a weekend to visit

January 5, 2010 - JL flies back to Germany :(

March 17-23, 2010 - I visit JL in Germany

September 1, 2010 - I move to Germany!

September 9, 2011 - Married <3

German Visa

December 20, 2011 - applied for German visa

February 9, 2012 - interview

March 26, 2012 - temporary 18 month greencard!

US VISA

April 3, 2012 - mailed I-130s to Frankfurt

April 11, 2012 - NOA1 mailed

April 13, 2012 - I-130 payment authorized

April 18, 2012 - NOA1 received

Impatiently waiting for NOA2......

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Just to throw another spanner into the works... think about filing your I-130 application from the UK before you return to the US as some people applying from abroad have experienced an 'expedited' process during this step. See the topic here if you haven't already looked through it: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/357465-usc-petitioner-living-abroad/

I think some people were living abroad on student visas as well and were still 'expedited' though none of this has ever been confirmed by USCIS so it's still somewhat heresay.

Anyway, it worked for us and it might be something you can do to speed up your process and limit any necessary time away from your hubby! Good luck and congrats on the engagement!

09/17/11: Wedding in Vermont

03/14/12: Sent I-130 application from Scotland

USCIS:

03/23/12: Recieved NOA1 email

04/02/12: Received NOA2!! (USC living abroad)

NVC:

04/20/12: NVC received case

05/03/12: Received case number

05/08/12: Emailed DS-3032

05/09/12: AOS invoice paid

05/15/12: IV invoice paid

06/07/12: AOS & IV packages sent to NVC

06/18/12: Received checklist! Boo...

06/20/12: Sent checklist response to NVC (they received it on 06/22)

07/02/12: CASE COMPLETE! Yee haw!

07/12/12: Received interview date

09/24/12: Interview (We changed the orginal date due to scheduling conflict)

Filed: Timeline

I got married in Germany on a student visa...it's not the UK, but it's the same idea. Absolutely no problems. they just need evidence that I'm in the country legally. Also, I had to travel to a consulate to get a sworn affidavit that I am 1) not in the military 2) free to marry and 3) free from STDs. Seriously. This might be unique to Germany though :)

Good luck & congrats!

I think you're mistaken. UK marriage laws are different than Germany's, and UK is known for imposing more requirements on getting married than other countries. But yes, it shouldn't be a problem as long as OP figures out what the requirements are.

As a side note, if you can read and follow directions, you can file the CR-1 yourself and save yourself a ton of time and headache...any questions you may have can be answered by the amazing people here...and probably much more thoroughly than an immigration lawyer. Look over the guides...VJ makes it very simple...

Marriage : 2009-06-30

CSC: 155 days

I-130: 2009-10-01

NOA1: 2009-10-15

NOA2: 2010-03-05

I-129F: 2009-10-16

NOA1: 2009-10-23

NOA2: 2010-03-05

NVC: 60 days

Case #: 2010-03-11

AOS Paid: 2010-03-15

IV Bill Paid: 2010-03-24

Package Sent: 2010-03-29

AVR says received: 2010-04-02

RFE: 2010-04-13

Sign in Fail: 2010-05-10

CONSULATE: 17 days

Medical: 2010-06-04

Interview: 2010-06-15 - APPROVED!

Visa rcv'd: 2010-06-21

POE: 2010-06-29 LAX (286 Days from when we started this whole mess!)

CSC- ROC

Mailed 2012-06-05

NOA1 2012-06-07

Biometrics 2012-07-16

RFE 2013-02-06

I just wanted to add weight to the comments that it's likely you won't need a immigration lawyer for the CR-1 process. If you can both read English, fill out forms with personal data, and neither of you have been married before or committed any crimes, I'd recommend doing it yourself. We did, and it's not difficult - promise!

Also, definitely check with regards to the UK marry visit visa and whether you'd need it, even if on a student visa. I know that in Scotland at least, you won't be able to register to marry without it, so you'll probably need some kind of notation.

Timeline

Hello everyone! Thanks so much for your helpful replies. Just as a note, in case anyone in a similar situation stumbles across this in the future, I have spoken with both the local registry office AND a very nice gentleman at the UK Border Agency, both of whom have assured me that individuals in England on a student visa ARE able to get married without having to change the visa status. So student visa=good to go. Just an FYI!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I think you're mistaken. UK marriage laws are different than Germany's, and UK is known for imposing more requirements on getting married than other countries. But yes, it shouldn't be a problem as long as OP figures out what the requirements are.

I'm mistaken about my experience?! :) I didn't say she was set & there wouldn't be any problems - I'm well aware there are differences between Germany & the UK....or any other 2 countries in the world. But the student visa bride club is a rather small one, just sharing my experience. As it turns out, it looks like everything will work out nicely for her!

Pre-VISA

November 14, 2009 - met randomly in a park in Atlanta, talked 1 hour

November 16, 2009 - started emailing daily

December 11, 2009 - flew to DC for a weekend to visit

January 5, 2010 - JL flies back to Germany :(

March 17-23, 2010 - I visit JL in Germany

September 1, 2010 - I move to Germany!

September 9, 2011 - Married <3

German Visa

December 20, 2011 - applied for German visa

February 9, 2012 - interview

March 26, 2012 - temporary 18 month greencard!

US VISA

April 3, 2012 - mailed I-130s to Frankfurt

April 11, 2012 - NOA1 mailed

April 13, 2012 - I-130 payment authorized

April 18, 2012 - NOA1 received

Impatiently waiting for NOA2......

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.