Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Russell T

Questions about Hokou documents

8 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone. While we wait for the NOA2 I am helping my fiance prepare the documents she will need. Since the process started she ended up moving back to her home area and is living with her sister and brother-in-law. This means I will have to let NVC know of the address change when it gets to that point.

At least she can now go to her Hukou for her birth Certificat, police cert, ect. I have been doing searchs and I'm still a bit confused. Are the Hukou and the Gong Zhen Chu (China's Notarial Offices) the same thing? Do the documents she get there still need to be notarised and translated?

One post says from the Hukou you get "a notarial document will be in the standard white notarial booklet, have an official red seal, an English translation and an attestation to the true translation"

I guess my question is the Hukou one stop shopping for the birth cert, police cert.,still single cert and divorce cert.? Am I reading this correctly?

Thanks everyone.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

As everything else related to China your question can have several answers. Here is my answer/opinion so use it with caution. Hukou is a household registration and her family's will obviously note her birth but it's not her birth certificate. What I believe is the important thing is that she obtain the required documents for her Hukou city, or the city of her family/birth. What we would call her "hometown". The various offices within the village/town/city where she is from that will provide those documents may or may not have an official notorial translation service.

So my answer is no. Hukou and Gongzheng are two different things and she will have to find the appropriate offices that handle the different documents. Hopefully sister and brother-in-law, or anyone else in the family, will have some good guanxi with the local government and they can help her out.

I left this all up to my wife because she kept reminding me "thing work differently here". I think your fiancé will do fine. Good luck and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

We had an address change also. Make sure you manage that carefully with NVC, I was not diligent and it cost us many weeks of delays.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Operator,

She is back in her hometown now and her sister is a retired civil servant so that might help. I'm just trying to help by getting any info here I can to pass on to her.

I know they do not have birth certificates but something can be issued to fill that requiement. She was divorced in the 90's and she has that doc and I had it translated and noterized here so we basicly need just the Police report, the still single and birth certificate papers. She plans on going to the Huhou in Chengdu with her sister in a couple of weeks I am trying to figure out where she can have the docs translated and noterized, would this be at the Congzhen? (China Notrial Office)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some notorial offices do translation, I imagine in Chengdu that won't be a problem.

I agree with Operator, a similar service business should be available in Chengdu. My fiancee used a business that did both the translation and notarization services, resulting in a "White Book," in Liaoning province. She ended up presenting White Books for her and her son's birth certificates, their police reports, her divorce decree, her marriage eligibiliity cert. There may have been more, I know it looked like a White Book library. She must have read and followed the instructions correctly, as that there were no issues at the visa interview, she and her son's visas were approved. :thumbs:


Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

> Almost 2 years of our lives involved with the USCIS/DOS "shuffle" & worth every second of it ! <

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca


:idea: Read more, post less.... Google can be your friend ! :idea:

Prior apologies if I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Keep your timeline current: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

one 'shows' the hukuo and china ID card to get:

1. birth certificate

2. police certificate

3. certificate of 'no marry' if single and not divorced

then, ya take those 3 things to a chinese notarial translation office.

here's some stuff about white books: (ignore the bickering, the meat and potatoes in golden)

white books - http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/228853-notarial-birth-certificate/

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would note that there has been some confusion about the unmarried certificate. I e-mailed the Guangzhou consulate directly and got a response on this. It should be a sworn and notarized statement by the beneficiary of being presently single and able to marry.

Also, they don't really want a white book - they are asking people to remove the covers now - but it was not an issue to do that at the time of document intake.

Edited by Larry_and_Xinji

2010-07-15 - Met in China as graduate students, began dating
2011-10-03 - Engagement proposal, 2 week visit to China
2011-12-10 - I-129F Sent
2011-12-21 - I-129F NOA1, Notice Date
2012-04-18 - Larry visits Xinji and family for 12 days in China
2012-04-24 - I-129F NOA2, Notice Date
2012-05-10 - NVC Left
2012-05-25 - Packet 3 Received
2012-05-29 - Packet 3 Sent
2012-06-07 - Packet 4 Received
2012-07-02 - Interview Date - Approved
2012-07-07 - Visa Received
2012-07-18 - US Entry - Newark
2012-08-12 - Married
2012-08-23 - Date Filed I-485 (AOS), 765 (EA), 131 (AP)
2012-09-21 - Biometrics Appointment
2012-10-26 - Approved Date for EA and AP
2012-11-05 - Date EA and AP Combo Card Received

2013-07-25 - Informed online green card was ordered to be produced (no interview)

2013-08-02 - Permanent resident card received

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.