ladybutterfly

When I get my EAD what should I do first ...

11 posts in this topic

I have a dilemma .... my EAD has been approved and the card should be in the mail in the next few days. I have been driving around over the past 6 months on my UK license and am extremely keen to get my California Licence but havent been able to do so yet as I had to wait for my EAD. I also need to change my name on my SSN card from my maiden name to my newly married name. I hear that the DMV system is linked to Social Security so I really dont know what to do first. Here are the options ...

1. Change name on SSN card, wait for it to come through with new name and then apply for Cali driving license.

2. Apply for Cali Licence in maiden name, then change name at SSN, then change my name on my License.

3. Is there any other option? Anyone know how long it would take for the new SSN card to come through as the license people say you have to get one within 10 days of being a permanant resident!!!!

:help:

LONDON TO CALIFORNIA ....

K1

May 5th 05 - K1 petition sent to CSC

August 23rd 05 - Visa Approved!!!

AOS and EAD

December 5th 05 - AOS and EAD sent

December 16th 05 - NOA's received for both AOS and EAD

December 31st 05 - Receive letter for AOS interview

February 6th 06 - AOS Interview - APPROVED

February 16th 06 - Biometrics Appointment

February 22nd 06 - EAD Approved via e mail

February 27th 06 - EAD card in mail!!!

March 6th 06 - Got a job!

March 17th 06 - Green Card Approval via e mail

March 18th 06 - 'Welcome to America' letter arrives

March 24th 06 - Green Card Arrives!

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world.

For indeed, that's all who ever have."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Anyone know how long it would take for the new SSN card to come through as the license people say you have to get one within 10 days of being a permanant resident!!!!

If you are just getting your EAD, you're not a permanent resident yet, correct? I think it would depend on how fast you can get a new SSN. If SSN people tell you your new name/status is not in the SAVE system, then it may take 5-6 wks for your status to be verified. The standard response is that it takes 4-12 wks, although I think it's pretty rare to get to the maximum.

So, I'd probably go to SSN office first to find out if you are in the system. Otherwise, I don't think you're in any rush. Getting license now would mean you have to go to DMV twice, and I think there's an additional feel ($20 in CA to change your name.)

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Or did you get the GC already? Your profile says AOS approved, so are you expecting EAD or the GC?

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

I think they define "establishing residency" in CA as exercising rights like voting in a California election, paying in-state tuition or filing for property tax exemptions. I think you should be fine if you wait to get your driving license until it would be most convenient for you. I've been living in CA for 6 months driving on my MI license no probs, for what it's worth, though I suppose I need to sort it out.

90day.jpg

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

We're in a slightly different boat in that we K3'd and she already has an SSN (never used) and a Cali drivers license from when she was here before on an F-1. The delima to me is whether to go to the SSA for a name change or get the EAD first. From what I can find, they won't change her name on her SS card until she actually has the right to work (they seem to treat that kind of change like a new card, even though it's the same number! Go figure). So, I'm thinking the best thing to do is get the EAD, then go to the SSA for the name change with a valid EAD, then change the name at the DMV. In the mean time, we're going to be getting her a car, so we'll register that with her existing CDL and change the name on the registration later.

What a hassle. To bad there isn't some centralized & efficient way to deal with all this... but then it wouldn't be the government :)

It remains to be seen what run around we're going to get at the bank trying to open her account and add her to one of mine...

KZ

Married in Tokyo on 9/20/05

I-130

9/23 Received by CSC

9/27 Rejected because copy, not original

10/11 Sent original via Fedex to CSC

10/17 NOA1... Woo Hoo!!

10/18 Check Posted

10/21 Touched (Friday)

10/24 Touched (Monday)

3/7 Approved!!

3/8 Touched

3/27 AOS Fee bill generated

4/8 AOS Fee bill received

I-129F

10/21 Received by Chicago

10/25 NOA1... Woo Hoo!!

10/26 Check Posted

11/1 Touched

11/2 Touched

11/3 Touched

12/1 Approved! Happy Dance!!

12/15 NVC Sent Case to US Embassy @ Tokyo

12/30 Package 3 Received

2/13 Embassy Interview... APPROVED!!!

2/14 Visa delivered!

2/25 Arrived @ LAX!!!!!

EAD

2/28 Received @ Chicago Lockbox

3/2 NOA

3/3 Check Posted

3/8 Touched

3/21 Biometrics Appointment

3/22 Touched

4/24 Approved

4/28 Card Received

5/2 Touched

7/21 Touched

7/24 Touched

7/26 Touched

AOS

3/21 Received @ Chicago Lockbox

3/24 NOA

4/1 Touched

4/11 Biometrics Appointment

4/13 Touched

4/16 Touched

5/2 RFE "Applicant's Birth Cert"

5/8 Touched

5/16 Touched

5/19 Touched

6/06 AOS Interview Scheduled

7/15 Touched

7/25 AOS Interview --------------------APPROVED!!!

7/29 Welcome Letter Arrived

8/2 Touched

8/3 Two Year Green Card Arrived!!!!!!!!!!

Removal of Conditions

4/26 I-751 Sent

4/28 NOA1, One year extension

4/30 Touched

5/2 ASC Appointment Notice

5/23 Biometrics Appointment

9/16 Ten YearGreen Card Production Ordered

9/30 TEN YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED!!

Filed: Timeline

There is a procedure to change the name on the SSN without having work authorization, but only the SSN record is corrected, no card is issued. If you want to give it a try here it is.

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203510

RM 00203.510 Alien without Work Authorization - Nonwork Need for an SSN

D. PROCEDURE - SSN CARD REQUEST BY ALIEN NOT AUTHORIZED TO WORK

4. Correcting Numident Data When a Replacement Card Cannot Be Issued

If the alien does not provide evidence of work authorization or a valid

nonwork reason, explain that no replacement card can be issued.

Although a replacement card cannot be issued, the Numident can be

corrected if the alien has provided documentation supporting the change

(e.g., a name change).

If the alien provides documentation supporting the change, process the

SS-5 to update the Numident information but suppress the issuance of a

card.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With a K-3 can try using the I-94, which I assume has the married name. If a person entered as a K-1 they can try using the marriage certificate if it lists your age or date of birth.

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203210

RM 00203.210 Changing Numident Data

a. Bride Takes Groom’s Last Name

In all 50 U.S. States (this means the 50 States, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin

Islands, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa) the bride may take her husband's last name

(surname or family name) as her new last name. (EXAMPLE: Jane Doe married John Jones and she

may change her name to Jane Jones.)

Interim Guidance: If the bride wants to take her husband's last name, accept the marriage

document as a legal name change for the bride if the new name can be derived from the marriage document; even if the marriage document only shows each partner's first names, the bride's prior surname and husband's surname. The marriage document alone can be accepted as evidence of identity for both

the old and new names when it meets the criteria described in RM 00203.200G.2.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203200#G2

2. Determine if the ID Document Has Required Information

Ask the applicant to submit one or more documents that show the person's name AND provide:

Biographical information in addition to the person's name that the reviewer can compare with

the data on the SS-5 (e.g., date of birth, age, or parents' names) and/or

Physical information that the reviewer can compare with the applicant (e.g., physical

description, photograph).

NOTE: A non-picture identity document must have the person's name as well as information that

can be compared to the Numident, the applicant or other documents submitted (e.g., age, date of birth,

or parents' names).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C. Procedure - Immigration Document as Evidence of Legal Name

When issuing immigration documents, the Department of State and DHS issue them in the person's

legal name. The legal name is also generally the name in which the foreign passport was issued.

When an alien applies for an SSN card, presume the name on the immigration document is the

legal name unless the applicant presents evidence of a legal name change (e.g., marriage) that

occurred after the immigration document was issued.

In cases where an alien applies for a replacement SSN card and submits an immigration document

showing a name that is different from the name on the prior Numident record, accept the

immigration document as evidence of the legal name. In these cases, the prior SSN card may have been issued in a name that was not the NH’s legal name.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203200#E6

RM 00203.200 Evidence of Identity for an SSN Card

6. Documents for Adult Age 18 and Older

ALIEN: Adult Age 18 and older

1. Primary Evidence

Request a current U.S. immigration document and an unexpired foreign passport.

-- Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card (includes temporary I-551 stamp/machine readable immigrant visa (MRIV) in combination with an unexpired foreign passport when the I-551 Permanent Resident Card has not yet been issued)

-- Form I-94, Arrival/departure Record in combination with an unexpired foreign passport

-- Form I-766, Employment Authorization card

-- Form I-688B, Employment Authorization card

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by mdyoung

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
We're in a slightly different boat in that we K3'd and she already has an SSN (never used) and a Cali drivers license from when she was here before on an F-1. The delima to me is whether to go to the SSA for a name change or get the EAD first. From what I can find, they won't change her name on her SS card until she actually has the right to work (they seem to treat that kind of change like a new card, even though it's the same number! Go figure). So, I'm thinking the best thing to do is get the EAD, then go to the SSA for the name change with a valid EAD, then change the name at the DMV. In the mean time, we're going to be getting her a car, so we'll register that with her existing CDL and change the name on the registration later.

What a hassle. To bad there isn't some centralized & efficient way to deal with all this... but then it wouldn't be the government :)

It remains to be seen what run around we're going to get at the bank trying to open her account and add her to one of mine...

KZ

All went well so far!

Name change at the SSA was smooth. As described, they changed her name in the system without issuing a new card. We'll have to go back with an EAD in hand to get a new card. The SSA guy was nice and said it takes about 48 hours for the change to get into the system before the DMV will see it. So we'll go there on Thursday.

Meanwhile, we sent off the application for an EAD and will begin that waiting.

Opening a bank account was also no problem because I'm a good customer at BofA. She opened her own checking account and I added her to my savings account.

Tomorrow the car shopping begins!

KZ

Married in Tokyo on 9/20/05

I-130

9/23 Received by CSC

9/27 Rejected because copy, not original

10/11 Sent original via Fedex to CSC

10/17 NOA1... Woo Hoo!!

10/18 Check Posted

10/21 Touched (Friday)

10/24 Touched (Monday)

3/7 Approved!!

3/8 Touched

3/27 AOS Fee bill generated

4/8 AOS Fee bill received

I-129F

10/21 Received by Chicago

10/25 NOA1... Woo Hoo!!

10/26 Check Posted

11/1 Touched

11/2 Touched

11/3 Touched

12/1 Approved! Happy Dance!!

12/15 NVC Sent Case to US Embassy @ Tokyo

12/30 Package 3 Received

2/13 Embassy Interview... APPROVED!!!

2/14 Visa delivered!

2/25 Arrived @ LAX!!!!!

EAD

2/28 Received @ Chicago Lockbox

3/2 NOA

3/3 Check Posted

3/8 Touched

3/21 Biometrics Appointment

3/22 Touched

4/24 Approved

4/28 Card Received

5/2 Touched

7/21 Touched

7/24 Touched

7/26 Touched

AOS

3/21 Received @ Chicago Lockbox

3/24 NOA

4/1 Touched

4/11 Biometrics Appointment

4/13 Touched

4/16 Touched

5/2 RFE "Applicant's Birth Cert"

5/8 Touched

5/16 Touched

5/19 Touched

6/06 AOS Interview Scheduled

7/15 Touched

7/25 AOS Interview --------------------APPROVED!!!

7/29 Welcome Letter Arrived

8/2 Touched

8/3 Two Year Green Card Arrived!!!!!!!!!!

Removal of Conditions

4/26 I-751 Sent

4/28 NOA1, One year extension

4/30 Touched

5/2 ASC Appointment Notice

5/23 Biometrics Appointment

9/16 Ten YearGreen Card Production Ordered

9/30 TEN YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED!!

Filed: Other Timeline

Congratulations on driving in California on a UK license for 6 months , which totally surprises me, as according to California DMV ,QUOTE: "If you take a job here or become a resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner's property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents ". As far as i know an SSN number is a requirement before you can apply for a license , im just very surprised that you have not been stopped for vehicle checks or a license request by our lovely CHP,lol.

ps, How do you find driving on the opposite side of the road. ?????. Do you keep having to correct yourself

when changing gears (stick shift) putting your left hand down and looking for the gear lever and finding the window winder before realising the lever is on your right , or have you been americanised by using an automatic, and having to remember " is it 2 pulls down for drive or just one??.

;)

Filed: Timeline

ladybutterfly

If you have been approved at AOS interview... then you dont need an EAD... you should get your Greencard this is all you need to work, travel and prove you are a Resident.....

I would change your SSN first the deal with your DL.....

Kezzie

Congratulations on driving in California on a UK license for 6 months , which totally surprises me, as according to California DMV ,QUOTE: "If you take a job here or become a resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner's property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents ". As far as i know an SSN number is a requirement before you can apply for a license , im just very surprised that you have not been stopped for vehicle checks or a license request by our lovely CHP,lol.

ps, How do you find driving on the opposite side of the road. ?????. Do you keep having to correct yourself

when changing gears (stick shift) putting your left hand down and looking for the gear lever and finding the window winder before realising the lever is on your right , or have you been americanised by using an automatic, and having to remember " is it 2 pulls down for drive or just one??.

;)

Until I get my green card I am not a resident according to the DMV so that is how I have been able to drive around on my UK license. It also says on the DMV website you can drive on your foreign licence for up to a year so you should be able to do that too.

As for driving on the other side of the road it was quite easy for me as even when I was in the UK I only drove an Automatic car, I didnt want to complicate things!!! lol. Have an Automatic now too and thats the way its gonna stay.

ladybutterfly

If you have been approved at AOS interview... then you dont need an EAD... you should get your Greencard this is all you need to work, travel and prove you are a Resident.....

I would change your SSN first the deal with your DL.....

Kezzie

Although I have been to my AOS interview, its been approved pending the FBI name check. That could take a while so thats why they also approved me of the EAD. That came in the mail yesterday.

LONDON TO CALIFORNIA ....

K1

May 5th 05 - K1 petition sent to CSC

August 23rd 05 - Visa Approved!!!

AOS and EAD

December 5th 05 - AOS and EAD sent

December 16th 05 - NOA's received for both AOS and EAD

December 31st 05 - Receive letter for AOS interview

February 6th 06 - AOS Interview - APPROVED

February 16th 06 - Biometrics Appointment

February 22nd 06 - EAD Approved via e mail

February 27th 06 - EAD card in mail!!!

March 6th 06 - Got a job!

March 17th 06 - Green Card Approval via e mail

March 18th 06 - 'Welcome to America' letter arrives

March 24th 06 - Green Card Arrives!

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world.

For indeed, that's all who ever have."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.