getmud

Temp Work Authorization at POE

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am really confused... do they not give temporary work authorzation at the borders anymore? I've been looking around on VJ, but there doesn't seem to be any straight answer. I'm wondering if anyone that recently crossed to activate their visa got the stamp?

----K-1 Process----

Mar-3-2006: I-129F sent

Mar-14-2006: NOA1

Mar-21-2006: NOA2

May-3-2006: Medical, bye bye $250

May-26-2006: Received recall letter due to IMBRA

Jul-10-2006: Case touched/reopened at VSC

Aug-10-2006: Case reapproved

Oct-13-2006: Received Packet 4 in mail

Nov-17-2006: Interview date!!

Nov-23-2006: POE at Massena, NY

Nov-27-2006: Married

----AOS, EAD, AP Process----

Feb-12-2007: Sent AOS, EAD, AP

Feb-22-2007: NOA1

Mar-15-2007: Biometrics

Mar-26-2007: Transfered to CSC

Apr-27-07: AP approved

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The only place I hear that still gives the temp EAD with any regularity is JFK airport in New York. Since all international airports in Canada (with the exception of Halifax, and that will be changing soon) have pre-flight US customs clearance stations, getting the stamp when flying in won't happen. You'll have to do some digging to see if there are any border crossings by land are still giving them out -- you might have good luck searching the Canada forum for that information.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Timeline

Actually it would be great if everyone could post their POE and indicated whether EAD stamp is given or not. Myself, I was wondering if Thousand Islands POE gives the EAD?

Sean & Tanya

Norfolk, VA & Ottawa, ON

K-1 Journey

August 11, 2006- Sent I-129f ~ Finally!!!

August 12, 2006- I-129f received

August 16, 2006 - N0A1

August 29, 2006 - Touched

Sept 7, 2006 - NOA2 as per USCIS website ~ Approved in 27 days!

Sept 13, 2006- Received N0A2 by mail

Sept 15, 2006- Received letter from NVC dated Sept 13 that case will be sent to Montreal within a week

Oct 2, 2006- Received Packet 3 from MTL!

Oct 11, 2006 - Mailed back Packet 3 to MTL

Oct 19, 2006 - MTL received Packet 3

Nov 15, 2006 - Medical appointment in Ottawa

Dec 22, 2006 - Received Packet #4

Jan 25, 2007 - Interview date @ 14h30

Jan 4th 2007- Phoned MTL Consulate to reschedule interview for late April due to Navy deployment

Timeline

I think I read a VJer got the temporary EAD stamp at the peace arch crossing ... (Land crossing from Vancouver, B.C. to Blain, WA) ...

K-1 VISA
08-05-06 - Married in Sycamore IL

AOS / EAD
08-24-06 - AOS/EAD mail to Chicago (Day 1)

11-06-06 - GC & Welcome Letter arrive in Mail (Day 75)

I-751
09-23-08 - Sent Package via USPS (Day 1)
01-02-09 - Received GC in mail (with wrong Resident Since date) (Day 101)

Timeline

I'm pretty sure that someone posted recently that their fiance crossed at Windsor(don't know if it was the tunnel or bridge) and got the EAD. I can't remember who it was though. From my understanding, all POE's could give the EAD, but it's totally at their discretion. You can also look at this site: http://www.k1poelist.com/ but there doesn't look to be anything real recent on there.

Timeline
Since all international airports in Canada (with the exception of Halifax, and that will be changing soon) have pre-flight US customs clearance stations

That has changed. As of the beginning of October Halifax has a US pre-clearance.

Edited by ljs

K-1/K-2 Visas

April 20 2006 ~NOA1

July 05 2006 ~IMBRA RFE

Aug 14 2006 ~RFE (further proof of meeting)

Aug 18 2006 ~Approved NOA2 (Day 120)

Oct 10 2006 ~packet 4 received

Nov 14 2006 ~Montreal interview (expedited due to child aging out) SUCCESS :)

Nov 15 2006 ~Pick up visas

Nov 16 2006 ~Fly to San Francisco from Mtl

Nov 18 2006 ~Wedding

AOS/EAD/AP

Dec 18 2006 ~Documents filed

Dec 22 2006 ~NOA1

Jan 10 2007 ~Biometrics appointment

Mar 07 2007 ~AOS interview San Francisco-SUCCESS :)

Mar 19 2007 ~Received Green Cards

I-130 for Daughter

July 28 2007 ~Documents filed

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm pretty sure that someone posted recently that their fiance crossed at Windsor(don't know if it was the tunnel or bridge) and got the EAD. I can't remember who it was though. From my understanding, all POE's could give the EAD, but it's totally at their discretion. You can also look at this site: http://www.k1poelist.com/ but there doesn't look to be anything real recent on there.

I think it was Jen and Darcy !

Feb. 15/ 07 --- GC approved

Nov. 17/09 -- I-751 sent (Day 1)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think it was Jen and Darcy !

Do people assume they will get an EAD stamp at the POE automatically and therefore fail to ask or are there people who have asked and been told "no"?

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Last year I crossed in Detroit ... asked for the stamp. At first the guy told me they don't do that anymore. I then pointed out that I already had a job lined up ... he looked at the officer working the desk beside him. This guy shrugged his shoulders ... and they guy that was dealing with me reached over took the stamp and put it in my passport.

I think they PREFER not to do it ... but tell them you hava a job lined up ...

Don't forget though ... it is only good for the 90 days that your Visa is good for (if you enter on a K1 like I did).

We went to City Hall and got married two days after I arrived then we filed my I-485 and EAD right away so it came before my temporary EAD ran out :-)

Jan. 18, 2005 ..... I 129F mailed

June 3, 2005 .... Interview success ... we got our visa !!!

July 15, 2005 ..... Kelly moved into our new house

July 29, 2005 ..... Crossed into the USA and got temp.

August 2, 2005 ... Got married in a civil service :-)

October 2005 ... Sent in AOS, EAD and AP for both myself and my son

November 22, 2005 ... Received Biometrics Appointment for AOS

Chicago finally admits they lost all my sons paperwork have to re-file everything of his !!!!

December 17, 2005 ... Biometrics Appointment

April 13, 2006 ... AOS Interview ... told everything looks good but have to wait for the darn name check!!!

Infopass Appointment Oct. 10th - Told to keep on waiting for Name Check

Oct. 10, 2006 ... EAD Renewal and AP Renewal eFiled

November 7, 2006 ... GREEN CARDS ARRIVE !!!!!

I'm curious as to JenT's post on the K1 forum to see if they got their EAD at the Detroit/Windsor crossing yesterday. It would be great to get it at a land crossing and not have to fly into JFK - and without any guarantee even.

Mo

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Timeline

Since all international airports in Canada (with the exception of Halifax, and that will be changing soon) have pre-flight US customs clearance stations

That has changed. As of the beginning of October Halifax has a US pre-clearance.

hence me saying it would be changing soon :) I'll be experiencing the Halifax PFI this Christmas for the first time.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.