meulaboh

Pakistan Divorce Certificate

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Can anyone suggest a good family law attorney in Pakistan?

I am a US citizen and my husband is a US Permanent Resident. We live in the US. His former spouse has agreed for two of their kids to live with us permanently in US, while the others will stay with her in Pakistan. Even though this is kids' immigration (I filed as US citizen step-parent), the US Embassy denied IR-2 under 221(g) and is trying to re-adjudicate my husband's divorce from 2007. They do not like the bilingual English/Urdu divorce certificate saying it is from NADRA not Union Council. As others have stated on this forum, Union Councils no longer issue in Urdu only, US Embassy may be out of date on current practice in Pakistan.

Any suggestions for a good family law attorney in Pakistan would be much appreciated, especially one familiar with divorce and custody issues.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Perhaps you should consider a local divorce attorney who has experience with divorce cases with international ties.

The Uscis requires the application of local regulations on any case matter so it's the local laws that apply to legal matter. And to fulfil the requirements only a local lawyer would know what's necessary... document can be translated as necessary.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi meulaboh,

are you able to get divorce papers from Union Council? I may need to get it too. So US Embassy don't accept the divorce papers from Pakistani court? do we have to have from Union Council?

Thanks.

• 7 years later...

Old thread, but posting this for reference as this thread comes up in the search often.

Recently, the NVC has been accepting NADRA style bilingual divorce certificates.  However, the department of state documents reference/reciprocity by country page for Pakistan (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Pakistan.html) states that Union Council (Urdu) certificates are requested in certain cases (mostly older divorces that occurred before the NADRA system was implemented)

The following post describes the process for obtaining the Urdu certificate

Obligatory disclaimer:  Not a lawyer.  Posts are written based on my own research and based on whatever information is provided.  Consult an immigration attorney regarding your specific case.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.