kev_n_jena

Did you report the birth of your US born child to the Philippine Government?

39 posts in this topic

Thank you for this info. I didn't know I had to report it and my dilemma is we are now in Maryland. My son was born in Las Vegas, NV. So should I mail the documents to Philippine Consulate in LA or can I just go personally in Washington, DC?

Thanks.

"Had to report it" is maybe a little bit of a strong word for it. No one is going to chase you down for not doing so. Its just if you want your children to easily obtain their rights as Philippine Citizens or get a Philippines passport for them.

I'd just report it to your current consulate. They are the ones who now look after you and your children's rights as Filipinos now. If you're really worried about it, I'd call the consulate and ask. The Chicago Consulate has been pretty good about answering any questions for us.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Children can inherit from their ancestors without being Philippines Citizens, they just cannot buy land. Even being a dual citizen, the Philippines currently limits how much a dial citizen can buy. They're just trying to keep their country from being bought up by outsiders so the locals can still afford to own land.

I understand the not wanting to deal with governments. Never did like it before, but I abhor it after dealing with USCIS. So far I've found registering our marriage was a pretty easy process. If we're blessed with children, I'll register them so it will be easy if they one day choose to use their rights as Philippine Citizens. My current plans are to one day retire in the Philippines. Just for giggles, I might decide to become a dual citizen myself once I've lived there long enough. All those plans are a based on the wife still wanting to return though. She never really wanted to leave and would go back in a heart beat now. But 20 years down the road, her desires could easily change, as could mine.

Can you provide a link explaining limitations of land ownership on a dual citizen? My wife is considering naturalization and we are weighing our options at this point. I've read it before somewhere and I thought there were ways around it while still retaining dual status. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Kev n Jena

thumb_Kyle_John_1_email.jpgthumb_Img_2057_web.jpgthumb_Pictures_429.jpg

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Pet Peeve for 2011 - supercilious, contemptuous, arrogant, attitudes.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

There isn't anything they can use as extortion to force us, so no we have not.

I realize this is not the correct attitude of an ignorant child ward of the government. We should be showing them our poopies and asking permission to have sex because not every person can handle sex psychologically and sometimes sex is actually abuse (like abuse of a corpse when a young Filipina does an old Americano). So we should get our certificate of completion for counseling each time we take a poopie or have sex.

really? :wacko: Older than who? Older than her or older than you?

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

What a truly helpful reply...

What can they do you say??

If you ever visit the Philippines with your child and they see that your wife/husdand is a citizen of the Philippines and you are bringing a child they could throw you into jail or deny you entry.

Not that is is likely to happen but it could if you pissed some one off....

-P

We already have. Twice. You've mistaken me for the village idiot.

Can you provide a link explaining limitations of land ownership on a dual citizen? My wife is considering naturalization and we are weighing our options at this point. I've read it before somewhere and I thought there were ways around it while still retaining dual status. Maybe I'm mistaken.

I've seen a few different views on the the dual citizen. Now that I'm looking at it more recently, its appearing the dual citizen maintains full rights to own land. For a while after the dual citizenship law was passed, people were saying the restrictions were still in place. You as her husband cannot be on the title and would be required to dispose of the property should she pass away. Although you could pass it on to your children.

http://www.kittelsoncarpo.com/philippines-property-ownership

http://www.islandsproperties.com/resources/realestatelaws.htm

http://www.phil-buyersguide.com/laws/New-Dual-Citizenship-Laws-Affecting-Property-Ownership.php

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Children can inherit from their ancestors without being Philippines Citizens, they just cannot buy land. Even being a dual citizen, the Philippines currently limits how much a dial citizen can buy. They're just trying to keep their country from being bought up by outsiders so the locals can still afford to own land.

I understand the not wanting to deal with governments. Never did like it before, but I abhor it after dealing with USCIS. So far I've found registering our marriage was a pretty easy process. If we're blessed with children, I'll register them so it will be easy if they one day choose to use their rights as Philippine Citizens. My current plans are to one day retire in the Philippines. Just for giggles, I might decide to become a dual citizen myself once I've lived there long enough. All those plans are a based on the wife still wanting to return though. She never really wanted to leave and would go back in a heart beat now. But 20 years down the road, her desires could easily change, as could mine.

I asked earlier if you could provide a link explaining how land ownership is limited for dual citizens. Since I didn't get a reply I looked myself. Here is what I found.

http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/WEB%20MATERIALS/dual%20primer.pdf

This is from the Philippine consulate in Los Angeles website. Do you know of some newer information?

Kev n Jena

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

I asked earlier if you could provide a link explaining how land ownership is limited for dual citizens. Since I didn't get a reply I looked myself. Here is what I found.

http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/WEB%20MATERIALS/dual%20primer.pdf

This is from the Philippine consulate in Los Angeles website. Do you know of some newer information?

I basically came up with the same thing. There had been some talk when dual citizenship was first allowed that there was a limit on property ownership. My latest search was showing that was no longer so. I did post a few links right above your post from real estate sites. Only the former citizen is limited at this time. If you're going to own property in your wife's name, you're really going to want your children to be registered and dual citizens. Any land she owns can't go to you, or you're required to dispose of it right away. It can go to your kids though if they're dual citizens.

The first link makes things pretty clear on how things currently stand.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

I basically came up with the same thing. There had been some talk when dual citizenship was first allowed that there was a limit on property ownership. My latest search was showing that was no longer so. I did post a few links right above your post from real estate sites. Only the former citizen is limited at this time. If you're going to own property in your wife's name, you're really going to want your children to be registered and dual citizens. Any land she owns can't go to you, or you're required to dispose of it right away. It can go to your kids though if they're dual citizens.

The first link makes things pretty clear on how things currently stand.

Sorry, I missed your previous post somehow.

Kev n Jena

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

i was considering the same things for all the same reasons. i was talking to a guy who's PI wife recently became a US citizen. to make a long story short, the PI government had no problems with dual citizenship, HOWEVER, the US government did. she eventually gave up her PI citizenship to keep her US citizenship. anybody hear of anything like this, or was he "leaving something out"? thank you

i was considering the same things for all the same reasons. i was talking to a guy who's PI wife recently became a US citizen. to make a long story short, the PI government had no problems with dual citizenship, HOWEVER, the US government did. she eventually gave up her PI citizenship to keep her US citizenship. anybody hear of anything like this, or was he "leaving something out"? thank you

It wasn't that long ago you couldn't be a dual citizen, with the Philippines and the USA, But I'm pretty sure that was a Philippines law. Later tax reciprocity was set up between the Philippines and the USA. Lots of people are dual citizens in the USA and don't seem to find a problem with it. I get the feeling something was being left out in that story. Maybe he didn't like paying to keep up two passports. Maybe they have income in the Philippines and it was before tax reciprocity. Perhaps they didn't want to pay the registration fee to the Philippines consulate to get the dual citizenship registered there. Perhaps they felt that because she was and Philippines and USA citizen, she should be able to use her Philippines passport to come and go in the USA and not bother with a USA passport. You never know when people will get fed up with the government and decide something small is bigger than it really is.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Kev n Jena

• 9 months later...

Kyle's birth is registered with the Philippine government now. We received a receipt from the embassy stapled to our copy of the original form. I haven't investigated this matter any further.

We will apply for his US passport soon. He just turned 1 year old yesterday.

Kev n Jena

• 2 years later...

If you reported the birth of your child, which middle name did you use? Is it the child's American middle name or the mother's Filipino maiden name? Your answer will be greatly appreciated.

You use the name that you placed on the Birth Certificate.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.