kev_n_jena

Did you report the birth of your US born child to the Philippine Government?

39 posts in this topic

Report of Birth of Child Born Abroad of Filipino ParentsThe birth of a Filipino should be reported to and registered with the Philippine National Statistics Office through the Embassy/Consulate General having jurisdiction over the locality where the event took place. Please check the Consulate Finder or the Consulates Link for the states covered by the Embassy/Consulates General in the U.S

REQUIREMENTS:

1.Four (4) original duly-accomplished Report of Birth application forms, typed or printed legibly in black or blue ink, and notarized if sent by mail

2.One (1) original or certified true copy and four (4) photocopies of Birth Certificate (original will be returned)

3.One (1) original or certified true copy and four (4) photocopies of Marriage Certificate of the parents (original will be returned)

4.Notarized Affidavit of Acknowledgment of the Paternity and Permission to Use Father’s Surname, executed by the father, if parents are not married and the father’s surname is being used by the child

5.One (1) original or certified true copy and four (4) photocopies of proof of Philippine citizenship of either parent at time of birth of the child, such as Philippine passport (original will be returned), and photocopies of alien registration card, for green card holders. If only one parent is a Filipino at the time of child’s birth, the non-Filipino parent must submit four (4) photocopies of a government-issued identification card or passport.

6.For parents who are dual citizens, four (4) photocopies of Order of Approval or Petition for Reacquisition of Philippine Citizenship, indicating the name of the child as a minor-beneficiary of the parent’s re-acquisition of Philippine citizenship.

7.If applicable, four (4) photocopies of U.S. Naturalization Certificate of parent(s).

8.Notarized affidavit explaining the reasons for delayed registration, if Report of Birth is filed more than a year after the child is born

9.Self-addressed return envelope, with appropriate stamps, via US Postal Service or private courier of choice, preferably with tracking numbers, if Report of Birth is to be mailed back

10.Processing fee of $25.00 (non-refundable), payable in money order, bank draft, certified check or cashier’s check, and cash when personally applying. Personal checks and credit cards are not accepted.

11.For applicants residing in U.S. territories or other countries within the jurisdiction of the Philippine Embassy, applicants should enclose a treasurer’s, manager’s or certified check issued by a local bank that has a corresponding bank in the U.S., payable to the courier of choice, in U.S. dollars, to cover cost of mailing, and a corresponding self-addressed courier’s address label. Personal checks are not accepted.

Note: The Philippine Embassy/Consulate General assumes no responsibility for any delay or loss in the mail, or while the documents are in the custody of the courier service. The applicant should note the tracking numbers of all envelopes used and submitted.

The Consular Officer may require additional proof or documents from applicant to determine the child’s citizenship, identity, or eligibility for registration of birth under Philippine laws

Kev n Jena

thumb_Kyle_John_1_email.jpgthumb_Img_2057_web.jpgthumb_Pictures_429.jpg

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Pet Peeve for 2011 - supercilious, contemptuous, arrogant, attitudes.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Report it for what? This may be in the case if one is a OFW or on a Temp Visa and will eventually go back to Philippines with the child then I can understand, otherwise I don't see any reason why. Well at least I have never known anyone of my Friends and Family reporting/registering the birth of their children to the Philippines. Even my own parents who were not yet Citizen at the time my two youngest siblings were born.

Report it for what? This may be in the case if one is a OFW or on a Temp Visa and will eventually go back to Philippines with the child then I can understand, otherwise I don't see any reason why. Well at least I have never known anyone of my Friends and Family reporting/registering the birth of their children to the Philippines. Even my own parents who were not yet Citizen at the time my two youngest siblings were born.

I need to look into this more closely. I just ran across it while looking at the report of marriage information. I don't know if the child would aquire dual citizenship by this method or not. From what I've read it can be advantageous to have dual citizenship when it comes to land ownership rights in the Philippines.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable on the subject can reply.

Kev n Jena

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

We reported it when our son was born. They sent us a copy of the certificate back to us showing he is documented. We wanted that for in the event we eventually go to the Philippines to live. Plus it is the legally correct thing to do. We just like having all the T's crossed and all the I's dotted. We have plans to maybe one day go back to the Philippines, either to the land that she owns there or to Palawan, which we find beautiful.

Edited by Brijo

A child of a Filipino automatically has dual citizenship rights. If you don't report the birth, they will have a harder time later proving they were born to a Philippines citizen. If that child is never going to go there, they don't have any need to have it. If they want to own land in the Philippines, they will need it. Also if you plan to spend longer time periods in the Philippines, a child traveling in with a Filipino Passport doesn't need to limit their stay, or renew their tourist visa if entering on the USA passport. If they enter with a Philippine Citizen parent using their Philippines Passport, they can still get a 1 year Balikbayan Visa.

I'd look at it as doing the right thing for the child. It keeps their options open even if they never choose to take advantage of it. The cost isn't really that high.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

For dual citizenship is the only reason I can see for reporting the birth in the Phils, like said - if you move back or one day for land ownership.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

A child of a Filipino automatically has dual citizenship rights. If you don't report the birth, they will have a harder time later proving they were born to a Philippines citizen. If that child is never going to go there, they don't have any need to have it. If they want to own land in the Philippines, they will need it. Also if you plan to spend longer time periods in the Philippines, a child traveling in with a Filipino Passport doesn't need to limit their stay, or renew their tourist visa if entering on the USA passport. If they enter with a Philippine Citizen parent using their Philippines Passport, they can still get a 1 year Balikbayan Visa.

I'd look at it as doing the right thing for the child. It keeps their options open even if they never choose to take advantage of it. The cost isn't really that high.

I think we'll be reporting the birth soon. We plan on traveling to The Philippines before he turns two years old.

Kev n Jena

I think we'll be reporting the birth soon. We plan on traveling to The Philippines before he turns two years old.

I'd call that a good decision. :yes: I doubt most Fil/West kids will have a need for it. But you are making that choice for them if you skip the report of birth. Or at least making it a lot harder for them should they want to take advantage of it once they're adults.

If you go with your wife, you and the child can enter as Balikbayans and stay for 1 year as long as you request it and enter with your wife using her Philippines passport.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Well....

http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consular%20services/conserv-registry.htm

I found this:

Reporting Births of Children of Filipino Citizens

The Report of Birth is a declaration of the person furnishing information on the birth abroad of a Filipino child. It is important for Filipinos permanently residing abroad to promptly register with the Consulate the birth of a child in order for such a birth to be registered with the Office of the Civil Registrar General in Manila.

When a child is born abroad to parents who are both Filipino citizens or to one (1) parent who is a Filipino citizen, i.e. one who has not been naturalized as a citizen of a foreign country, the child's birth must be immediately reported to the Philippine Embassy or Consulate which exercises jurisdiction over the place of birth.

Ideally, the birth must be reported to the Consulate within twelve (12) months after its occurrence. When the parents neglect to report the birth within twelve (12), the birth may, nevertheless be recorded upon the determination of the consular officer of satisfactory evidence on the authenticity of the report. In these cases, the person who executed the report shall furnish the Consulate with an explanation surrounding the delay in reporting the birth.

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

There isn't anything they can use as extortion to force us, so no we have not.

I realize this is not the correct attitude of an ignorant child ward of the government. We should be showing them our poopies and asking permission to have sex because not every person can handle sex psychologically and sometimes sex is actually abuse (like abuse of a corpse when a young Filipina does an old Americano). So we should get our certificate of completion for counseling each time we take a poopie or have sex.

Edited by rlogan

What a truly helpful reply...

What can they do you say??

If you ever visit the Philippines with your child and they see that your wife/husdand is a citizen of the Philippines and you are bringing a child they could throw you into jail or deny you entry.

Not that is is likely to happen but it could if you pissed some one off....

-P

I realize this is not the correct attitude of an ignorant child ward of the government. We should be showing them our poopies and asking permission to have sex because not every person can handle sex psychologically and sometimes sex is actually abuse (like abuse of a corpse when a young Filipina does an old Americano). So we should get our certificate of completion for counseling each time we take a poopie or have sex.

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

I'd like my son to have the option of inheriting or buying land in The Philippines in the future. That's basically the only reason I'll be going through with this process.

Believe me, I abhor big government more than most people. The whole immigration process goes against everything I believe in but I have to choose my battles carefully. If this will benefit my child in the future, I'll swallow my pride yet another time. That doesn't mean you can trespass on my property by the way.

Have a nice weekend! :D

Kev n Jena

Well....

http://www.philippineconsulatela.org/consular%20services/conserv-registry.htm

I found this:

Reporting Births of Children of Filipino Citizens

The Report of Birth is a declaration of the person furnishing information on the birth abroad of a Filipino child. It is important for Filipinos permanently residing abroad to promptly register with the Consulate the birth of a child in order for such a birth to be registered with the Office of the Civil Registrar General in Manila.

When a child is born abroad to parents who are both Filipino citizens or to one (1) parent who is a Filipino citizen, i.e. one who has not been naturalized as a citizen of a foreign country, the child's birth must be immediately reported to the Philippine Embassy or Consulate which exercises jurisdiction over the place of birth.

Ideally, the birth must be reported to the Consulate within twelve (12) months after its occurrence. When the parents neglect to report the birth within twelve (12), the birth may, nevertheless be recorded upon the determination of the consular officer of satisfactory evidence on the authenticity of the report. In these cases, the person who executed the report shall furnish the Consulate with an explanation surrounding the delay in reporting the birth.

Thank you for this info. I didn't know I had to report it and my dilemma is we are now in Maryland. My son was born in Las Vegas, NV. So should I mail the documents to Philippine Consulate in LA or can I just go personally in Washington, DC?

Thanks.

September 2007-- Met Online (FilipinaHeart.com)
March 12,2009-- Married at Quezon City Hall of Justice
USCIS/NVC STAGE
May 8,2009-- I-130 Sent
August 17,2009-- I-130 Approved
August 26, 2009--case received at NVC
November 5,2009--CASE COMPLETED
USEM MANILA STAGE/ U.S. SOIL
November 17-18,2009--Medical PASSED
December 10, 2009--Interview @ 8:30AM A-P-P-R-O-V-E-D
January 25, 2010--FLIGHT(Manila-Japan-Detroit,MI-Buffalo,NY)
February 22,2010-- 2-yr GREEN CARD received
February 26, 2010--SSN received
REMOVING of CONDITIONS
December 22, 2011-- I-751 mailed
February 28, 2012-- Biometrics done

October 10, 2012-- 10-yr GREEN CARD received
NATURALIZATION
January 09, 2013-- sent N-400
January 28, 2013-- Biometrics

May 22, 2013-- Interview Passed- Officially a US Citizen!

I'd like my son to have the option of inheriting or buying land in The Philippines in the future. That's basically the only reason I'll be going through with this process.

Believe me, I abhor big government more than most people. The whole immigration process goes against everything I believe in but I have to choose my battles carefully. If this will benefit my child in the future, I'll swallow my pride yet another time. That doesn't mean you can trespass on my property by the way.

Have a nice weekend! :D

Children can inherit from their ancestors without being Philippines Citizens, they just cannot buy land. Even being a dual citizen, the Philippines currently limits how much a dial citizen can buy. They're just trying to keep their country from being bought up by outsiders so the locals can still afford to own land.

I understand the not wanting to deal with governments. Never did like it before, but I abhor it after dealing with USCIS. So far I've found registering our marriage was a pretty easy process. If we're blessed with children, I'll register them so it will be easy if they one day choose to use their rights as Philippine Citizens. My current plans are to one day retire in the Philippines. Just for giggles, I might decide to become a dual citizen myself once I've lived there long enough. All those plans are a based on the wife still wanting to return though. She never really wanted to leave and would go back in a heart beat now. But 20 years down the road, her desires could easily change, as could mine.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.