K & Z

Police Certificate too old?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Hi,

I kind of proactively did the police certificate but It's about 3-4 months old and I hope to get the interview date for her with in 1 month or two. I guess the police report still be valid at that point.

My question is, is this bad that the police certificate that she presents at interview is like 5 months old. Should I ask her to get a new one. It might be hard because police might say the last one is still valid.

Any suggestions and your shared experience will be appreciated.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Bahrain
Timeline

well its not exactly bad i think as long as the expiration date on the certificate is still valid you normally shoudnt have a problem thats what my wife did ... she went ahead and got her police certificate .. (kind of my fault) i wasnt clear in telling her when to get it just said you will need to get this.... and it has a 3 month expiration date on it ... i just filed I-130 in early may so i know it will expire by the time interview comes

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Since you aren't back in that country able to commit crimes there, a police report that's up to 6 months old I can't imagine would be a problem. But I would think that document could even be older and be OK. Again, if you're already outside the country, and haven't been back, then as long as the police report was issued after you left the country, it should make sense that it's still valid.

I think someone else posted that the NBI was good for six months, so I'd think you're at least save with that number.

Khaled and Zohra: My 2 cents on this: I don't think 5 months would constitute as expired, however; that's a decision that will be made by the CO. And though there is no cut off time on when to consider a Police Verification report as expired, you can take 6 months as a standard time.

By the way, I do not think BD police issue these certificates and keep track of them on computer. I could be wrong or things could change lately, but that's what my experience was.

If the CO finds the certificate to be expired, the WORST that can happen is they will tell you to get an updated one. However, if the CO is not satisfied and ask for more docs along with the police report, they will add that as part of those as well. Bottom line is this; you don't need to worry too much about the Police clearance unless something is wrong, and you did the right thing being proactive. Asking to get the Police certificate after you get the interview date would be the proper measure, but you did alright my friend.

Edited by hellraiser

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Appreciate the suggestions. I will see if I get a Interview date for her soon, than just go with this one otherwise I would request for a new certificate. There isn't enough data to get an idea about how long it takes them to schedule an interview. Praying that it will be soon.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Appreciate the suggestions. I will see if I get a Interview date for her soon, than just go with this one otherwise I would request for a new certificate. There isn't enough data to get an idea about how long it takes them to schedule an interview. Praying that it will be soon.

Check with your embassy in Bangladesh, I believe it varies from country to country.

Some countries they are valid for 6 months or even a year and some countries they would like to have nothing older that 3 months.

Best bet would be to check with your local embassy os there no last minute surprise.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.