StraightShooter

Manila too dangerous for my fiancee to stay there...

83 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was texting with my finacee this morning and she told me that her family is very concerned about her safety if she stays in Manila for several weeks before getting on the plane for the US. We will be chatting about it online tonight my time to discuss it further.

She's never been to Manila and her family is really worried. Our plan is for her to make her permanent move once she leaves Mindanao and to stay in Manila until departure. It could take 3-4 weeks to get the medical, have the interview and wait for deliveries.

I texted her this morning that obviously hundreds, if not thousands of females stay there during this process without issue. But, I do know that these lone females need to be extra careful and to not go out at night.

Being 10,000 miles away makes it tough for me to help. Any suggestions?

May your visa journey be smooth and speedy.

ENGAGED TO TROPICALROSE

ringhands4.jpg

Timeline

Manila is not dangerous unless your fiancée goes out at late night and talk to strangers. She will be fine. Just look for a place in a decent residential area.

Manila is a safe city, but Mindanao were your fiancee lives is high risk of terrorist activity. If shes safe home, she will be safe in Manila!

Read Travel WarningU.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE

USCIS

05/29/2011: Married

08/12/2011: Sent I-130 packet.

08/15/2011: NOA1, Priority Date

02/22/2012: NOA2 - Approved

02/25/2012: NOA2 - Received hard copy in mail

NVC

03/06/2012: NVC received

03/07/2012: NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned

03/08/2012: DS3032 sent by email (auto response received immediately)

03/13/2012: Re-send DS3032 by email (auto response received immediately)

03/13/2012: Received (2)Email with DS-3032 Kit and AOS Bill instructions

03/14/2012: AOS bill appears as PAID

03/16/2012: Mailed AOS package (I-864)USPS EXPRESS

03/16/2012: DS-3032 Accepted Via Beneficiary Email (Took 8 DAYS from 1st Email)

03/20/2012: IV bill invoiced & paid $404.00

03/21/2012: IV bill Payment reflecting PAID / AOS checklist received

03/30/2012: IV package DS-230 sent via USPS Priority

04/02/2012: IV package Delivered @ 11:55 am w/signature

04/12/2012: Re-Sent DS-230 Part 1 W/Photocopy of receipt from Hong Kong Police Via USPS EXPRESS

04/13/2012: DS-230 Part 1 package Delivered to NVC ATTN:DR @11:52am

04/17/2012: CASE COMPLETE (41 Days @NVC)

04/22/2012: Request Expedite

04/24/2012: Expedite Approved!(2days)

04/25/2012: Case sent to U.S. Consulate General in HONG KONG

Medical / US Consulate / POE:

04/30/2012: U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong received

05/16/2012: Interview Scheduled May 22, 2012

05/22/2012: Interview APPROVED!!!!!!

05/26/2012: Visa in Hand (9 months 11 days from NOA1)

Filed: Timeline

Book her in a hotel near the embassy together with her trusted relative or friend who knows manila very well or get a travel agency where the travel agent can accompany her... but these people have to be trusted... look for a travel agency in the usa where it has a branch in manila so you can say that this travel agency is a trusted one.. usually travel agent accompanying interviewees mostly happen to kids who are petitioned by their parents in the us but considering that this is her first time to step in mnl, therefore these suggestions..i hope this help..

I'd agree Manila - Ermita around the Embassy is generally safe. Just follow standard rules for large cities...

Stay on well traveled roads, don't flash cash, don't venture out after dark. Don't place too much trust in

anyone.

There is plenty of safe and reasonably priced hotels in the area.

I have been around the area all hours of the day and night,,, never felt threatened or targeted,,, other then

some kids trying to get a few pesos or others trying to "Assist you" with a hookup.

My wife was from Zamboanga del Norte,,, never been to Manila before, and she never once mentioned feeling that

she did not feel safe.

Regards,

dc

Timeline
Manila is not dangerous unless your fiancée goes out at late night and talk to strangers. She will be fine. Just look for a place in a decent residential area.

We have no idea of where a decent residential area is in Manila. That is the point.

Manila is a safe city, but Mindanao were your fiancee lives is high risk of terrorist activity. If shes safe home, she will be safe in Manila!

Read Travel WarningU.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE

We know about Mindanao and your assumption that she is “safe” there is incorrect. It too, is a very dangerous place. She's had some close calls there. But now we have to deal with Manila. Just because she’s survived in Mindanao in areas she knows well, doesn’t mean that she’ll be able to avoid danger in a strange town on another island 600 miles away.

Book her in a hotel near the embassy together with her trusted relative or friend who knows manila very well or get a travel agency where the travel agent can accompany her... but these people have to be trusted... look for a travel agency in the usa where it has a branch in manila so you can say that this travel agency is a trusted one.. usually travel agent accompanying interviewees mostly happen to kids who are petitioned by their parents in the us but considering that this is her first time to step in mnl, therefore these suggestions..i hope this help..

She doesn’t know anyone in Manila. There is no trusted friend to help. There MAY be a young distant cousin who is in the Army and apparently stationed in Manila, but the information is vague and his mother just passed away, so she's trying to gather more data to see if he could actually help.

May your visa journey be smooth and speedy.

ENGAGED TO TROPICALROSE

ringhands4.jpg

Filed: Timeline

She may have a tough time in Manila unless she speaks Tagalog without an accent. I bet her family just wants her to spend her remaining time with them, and she does have a despebida party to plan that will include all the relatives and neighbors.

I'd try to let her spend as much time as possible with family before she leaves. Keep her near the embassy and she should be fine in Manila. Where does she live in Mindanao that you're so worried? Much of it is very safe, other areas I wouldn't let my wife travel to.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

Depending on how much you want to spend, you can easily put her in a safe place. But hotels in Manila are expensive, like $50 US for a decent place.

In Malate there are several that are fine, City Gardens, Cherry Clossom, Best Western La Corona. That area is poor, but lots of tourist and I never felt unsafe there. Makati is even more safe, but more expensive. The A-Venue Suites is my favorite place there. Nice rooms, and not too expensive $65 a night or so.

But she will be fine. If she can't speak Tagalog, she can speak english some there, right?

Timeline

Quit being so cheap and fly her back and forth. So she can maximize her time with her family before flying to the US.

01/09/2012 - Sent to TSC

01/10/2012 - Received by TSC, transferred to VSC

01/13/2012 - check cleared bank and email from USCIS

01/17/2012 - NOA from VSC Receipt # notice no case #

manila is not dangerous ... I'm living alone here in manila without family . nothing happened to me as long as u don't go out late at night u will be fine.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
K1 TIMELINE
02-10-2012 - NOA1 (hard copy)
08-22-2012 - NOA2
08-26-2012 - NOA2 (hard copy)
09-06-2012 - Medical (first day)
09-07-2012 - Medical (second day) -
passed!
10-04-2012 - Interview Day - approved!
10-10-2012 - Visa received (3 working days)
10-11-2012 - CFO Seminar (got certificate and sticker one day)

AOS TIMELINE

01-04-2013 - got my SS Card

01-18-2013 - Filing Date

02-14-2013 - Bio Appointment

08-29-2013 - AOS Approved (no interview)

ROC TIMELINE

06-15-2015 - Filing Date

07-23-2015 - Bio Appointment

04-04-2016 - ROC Approved (no interview)

N400 TIMELINE

08-27-2016 - Filing Date

10-03-2016 - Bio Appointment

12-20-2016 - N400 Interview (approved)

12-28-2016 - Oath Taking

First thing when she arrives in Manila Airport.

- Tell her to take the OFFICIAL YELLOW AIRPORT CAB, watch for transportation and taxi signs and then for a line of the yellow airport taxis. The taxi stand worker will ask where you are going and assign you a taxi. These taxis are in good condition. The flag down rate for these taxis is P70, whereas an ordinary taxi is P40. The rate per kilometer is also higher. In total, you pay about twice as much as you would taking an ordinary taxi. Taking a yellow airport taxi to Ermita will cost 200-400 but will take you to your destination safely and honestly. versus ordinary taxi which can trick you up with meter and the place especially when your new in Manila.

PLACE/HOTELS

http://hotelsoriente.com/at 545 Bocobo Street (corner of Flores) offers spacious rooms for P1,700 (about $40USD). The hotel is well maintained and safe. Just Two Blocks away from U.S. Embassy and a few steps away from SLEC. It’s a short walk to the huge Robinson’s Place mall as well.

- I can help you walk her through directions in Manila but only thru text I'm still in the PI cuz also waiting for my go signal. =)

Edited by VirtualLee

Our Time Line
---------------------------
CR-1/CR-2
---------------------------

USCIS Stage: (13 DAYS)
Apr 15, 2012 - Filed I-130 ($420 x2)
Apr 19, 2012 - NOA-1
May 2, 2012 - NOA-2

NVC STAGE: (56 DAYS)
05/21/12 - Case finally entered into NVC system
05/25/12 - Received case #, IIN, and BIN, gave e-mail addresses, sent optin e-mail
05/25/12 - Received info package and AOS bill e-mails from NVC
05/25/12 - AOS bill invoiced & paid ($88)
05/29/12 - AOS bill appears as PAID
06/01/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & PAID ($230 x2)
06/04/12 - IV Bill Shows PAID
06/15/12 - AOS & IV Packages sent
07/02/12 - RFE email received
07/06/12 - Sent NSO copy of MC and BC
07/16/12 - Case Complete (2nd Wedding Anniversary)
08/01/12 - Interview Date Assigned -->>>>(Sept.5, 2012@ 6:15am)

Medical/CFO / Consulate / POE:
08/29/2012-------- Medical Exam: PASSED
08/30/2012 ---------Advance CFO @SMEF-COW
09/05/2012-------- Interview: VISA APPROVED!!!!

09/11/2012 ------- VISA RECEIVED!
10/02/2012 -------- POE = Honolulu, Hawaii
Welcome to Hawaii

10/18/2012 - received 10yr. GC & SSN#

As others posted, Manila is only as dangerous as one wants to venture off the beaten path. There are dorms near both St. Lukes and the Embassy that she can stay in cheap, like 2000-3000 for a month. Many people going to Manila for Visas stay in the dorms especially ones that had issues with medical and need to have treatments. I suggest looking on Craigslist Manila for the types of rooms available.

Why not have one of her family members accompany her? Or send her on a boat back to her island between Interview and Visa. I actually enjoy Manila as it is just a large city. She will be fine as long as she speak tagalog.

Good luck

your fiance has never been to US and the family arent worried. They shouldnt be worried because manila still in the philippines and she can talk to everybody there. Knowing our kababayans, everyone will be accomodating in any questions.

I bet she has friends or other girls from mindanao that can help her in manila.

Rent an apartment for her and the family can also come.

if my friends in Manila dont have work, they are willing to help her.

Goodluck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.