StupidJourney

Transportation Issues

51 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

well i looked at that apartment today. it's in the art / historic district of town, with very few apartments and 100 year old homes. some homes are run down, but the area's seen a huge renovation in the last couple of years, and I saw a new string of cute cafe/gift shops about to be finsihed being build about 1/2 block away. It's a "mother in law" type unit attached to the owner's very large 100 year old home (very nice people). Inside is totally remodeled and very modern. They could easily charge a lot more for this place. It also comes with all utilities paid (including wireless) and a private garden/yard. One mile from the riverwalk, which is where Hamid could more easily find a job. I'm very happy. After talking with Hamid about it, I'm going to call them tomorrow to tell them we'll take it!

timeline doesn't matter.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i looked at that apartment today. it's in the art / historic district of town, with very few apartments and 100 year old homes. some homes are run down, but the area's seen a huge renovation in the last couple of years, and I saw a new string of cute cafe/gift shops about to be finsihed being build about 1/2 block away. It's a "mother in law" type unit attached to the owner's very large 100 year old home (very nice people). Inside is totally remodeled and very modern. They could easily charge a lot more for this place. It also comes with all utilities paid (including wireless) and a private garden/yard. One mile from the riverwalk, which is where Hamid could more easily find a job. I'm very happy. After talking with Hamid about it, I'm going to call them tomorrow to tell them we'll take it!

Congratulations! (F) Being from houston I know San Antonio quite well. I know the area you are talking about. Should be a lovely place to start your new life together!

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Sounds nice. I hope you get it.

Timeline

Congratulations! (F) Being from houston I know San Antonio quite well. I know the area you are talking about. Should be a lovely place to start your new life together!

You're from Houston? I'm sorry for your loss! :P (heehee just kidding!)

Thanks for the congratulations! :)

timeline doesn't matter.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

did he have an international driver's license? hamid told me about one of those, but i didn't know if it was worth the time and money. it seems pretty easy for a new driver over 18 to get a license in texas.

No Abdou had never driven a car before, he did not have an international driver's license. He thought about doing this before he left Morocco but it would have only given him 30 days to get a license here. I figured it was better to do everything here and not have a time limit to study and learn. He studied and took the written test and received his learner's permit and then I taught him some and then he paid $275 for 8 hours of lessons and that was great! He then went back and took the driving part and maneuverability and passed.

Doreen

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SupportingMoroccanLove/

6/14/03 Met Online

9/30/2003 He was denied a Tourist Visa

1/7/2004 Sent 1-129F-tried to prove hardship; many reasons

8/8/2004 Petition denied

After 214 Days of waiting

10/11/2004 Returned from Morocco even more in love.

11/15/2004 Mailed I-129F off to Nebraska

2/11/05 APPROVAL

2/14/05 EMAIL, OUR PETITION HAS BEEN APPROVED

86 Days what an awesome feeling

2/25/05 Email received from nvc, given case number

3/21/05 Email from consulate

b]INTERVIEW DATE 5/10/05[/b]

3/31/05 Fiance finally receives his packet from the consulate

4/12/05 He had medical exam

5/10/05 INTERVIEW WAS A SUCCESS

5/18/05 VISA IN HAND

Took 214 Days for a denial, but IN 205 days He will be HOME

6/10/05 Abdou arrives in America, what a happy day!

6/13/05 Applied for SSN

6/23/05 6 p.m. We were MARRIED; honeymoon in Gatlinburg

8/13/05 AOS and EAD paperwork mailed

8/25/05 NOAs in the mail!!! Yea!

11/25/05 - BIOMETRIC DATE

01/26/06 - AOS SUCCESSFUL INTERVIEW AND HE GETS HIS FIRST JOB AT FIRST JOB INTERVIEW

02/13/06 - GREEN CARD ARRIVED

4/22/06 - Driver's License!!

11/05/2007 Filed to Lift conditions[/color]

11/07/07 - NOA1 received

12/21/07 - Biometrics completed

04/08/08 - 10 YEAR CARD APPROVED

04/14/08 - CARD IN HAND !!!!!

11/3/08 - Filed for Citizenship

11/29/08 - Biometric Appointment

02/03/09 - Citizenship Interview, HE PASSED

I know I know :lol: Why do you think I get to San Antonio often? Or any other place for that matter! :P

erfoud44.jpg

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I know I know :lol: Why do you think I get to San Antonio often? Or any other place for that matter! :P

Hey MBP, thank your city for me for taking in so many Katrina vics! :P I used to get to Houston quite often, but not lately... As for SA, I've only been once, but loved it - hope to get back again soon. The place your looked at Liz sounds adorable - right up my alley! We really should try to coordinate a VJ meeting in the southeast region - or at least TX/LA... MS & GA aren't too far either.

As for the topic at hand, Said is an excellent driver and while we won't be able to get a car anytime soon, I'm hoping to get a little scooter or something to hold us over. I have to look into what it will take to get his LA license.

Anyone know how long it takes to do an out of state ceremony? I'm just curious if we could get married in NY right after his arrival - most of my family could probably come in for it and that would be nice! Might just be too much, tho... we'll see. Any thoughts on that, anyone?

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

Hey MBP, thank your city for me for taking in so many Katrina vics! :P I used to get to Houston quite often, but not lately... As for SA, I've only been once, but loved it - hope to get back again soon. The place your looked at Liz sounds adorable - right up my alley! We really should try to coordinate a VJ meeting in the southeast region - or at least TX/LA... MS & GA aren't too far either.

As for the topic at hand, Said is an excellent driver and while we won't be able to get a car anytime soon, I'm hoping to get a little scooter or something to hold us over. I have to look into what it will take to get his LA license.

Anyone know how long it takes to do an out of state ceremony? I'm just curious if we could get married in NY right after his arrival - most of my family could probably come in for it and that would be nice! Might just be too much, tho... we'll see. Any thoughts on that, anyone?

http://www.health.state.ny.us/vital_records/married.htm Here is the link for getting the license and getting married in NY (seems there is a 24 hr waiting period0 we have 72hr in TX). I think its a great idea.

I would love to have a meeting with everyone around this region. You always have a place to stay in Houston. Slumber party anyone?

PS glad to have the katrina people here- despite what they say in the news. NOLA was my first home :D

erfoud44.jpg

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

You can get married in Texas without the SS card.

That's an awful long drive from SC :P

SC requires a SSN to get married?

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Ok, I know I'm late putting in my 2 cents (the apartment sounds lovely), but definately definately definately get something where he can walk places.

We live on the outside of Saint Paul, right on a bus line. It can take 3 hour by bus to get places in the Twin Cities from our apartment. My husband hates it. He feels caged, trapped, and strongly lacks independence. It's more of a residential area, and he can't understand where all the people are. Once our lease runs out in July, we're going to move to a more central location, where people walk around more.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

You can get married in Texas without the SS card.

That's an awful long drive from SC :P

SC requires a SSN to get married?

Never mind. I saw where you wrote more about this. I can't believe I never thought about that. Well I'd better start doing some research...

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
Ok, I know I'm late putting in my 2 cents (the apartment sounds lovely), but definately definately definately get something where he can walk places.

We live on the outside of Saint Paul, right on a bus line. It can take 3 hour by bus to get places in the Twin Cities from our apartment. My husband hates it. He feels caged, trapped, and strongly lacks independence. It's more of a residential area, and he can't understand where all the people are. Once our lease runs out in July, we're going to move to a more central location, where people walk around more.

Try living in Michigan, where the bus only comes every 45min...if it is on time...ufff...snaps I think Algerien transport is is more reliable...least I know if I miss one, there are 4 more going the same way I can take...

Timeline

As far as requiring a SSN to get married, I am under the impression that you can get it a few weeks after arriving. At least according to the flowchart it says that: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow

And if all goes well, it should take a few weeks to get the number. So maybe you won't be able to be married immediately, it seems like it's still doable in the 3 month time frame?

timeline doesn't matter.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.