gracell

Is my checklist right?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am applying citizenship based on 5 years eligibility although I am still married to the same US citizen now.

I got my 10 year card 2006,and it's 2012 now.

Upon reading posts here,I decided to check this 5 year eligibility instead of a 3 year.Less documents to submit,I hope this is correct.So here's what I am preparing:

1. Original N-400 Application for Naturalization

2. Photocopy of both sides of my Permanent Resident Card

3. (2) identical colored photograph

4. Personal check of $680.00 ( $595.00 filing fee + $85.00 Biometrics Fee)

5. IRS Tax Return Transcripts for the last 3 years-2009,2010,2011

6. My prior marriage Divorce Decree.

Did I miss something else?

Also I am unemployed so our tax return is a joint but all earnings of my husband.

Am I right to apply on 5 year eligibility or better check this 3 year and married to the US citizen?

I am just worried of this tax return which is all his earnings.Although I am relieved to set aside those other documents.

On part of employment,Is it correct to put housewife?

Any thoughts is highly appreciated,thanks.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

G-1145,a cover letter,a copy of your spouse u,s passport bio page,a copy of your marriage certificate,some bank statements, a few unility bills. put the G-1145 on the very top of the file- put your name and alien number,date of birth on the back of the passport photos, good luck on your civil test.

Timeline

G-1145,a cover letter,a copy of your spouse u,s passport bio page,a copy of your marriage certificate,some bank statements, a few unility bills. put the G-1145 on the very top of the file- put your name and alien number,date of birth on the back of the passport photos, good luck on your civil test.

Hi!

Thanks for your prompt reply,but what is G-1145?

Also, I thought with the 5 year eligibility, I don't need to submit more paper works like husband's birth certificate,passport biopage,marriage certificate,bank statement,utility bills???

Sorry,I am now confused which documents I need to submit selecting this 5 year eligibility.

I hope to hear other comments too.

But thanks for giving your time reading and thoughts jkelly07'

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

You need to send the last five year tax transcripts, since you are applying based on the five year.

:goofy:Sorry to say WRONG to Raul y Karla and JKelly07. Gracell, you are correct and here is why: http://www.visajourney.com/content/naturalization_guide which clearly states:

Only if required, send copies of the following documents (the USCIS will request originals if needed):

If an attorney or accredited representative is acting on your behalf, send:

A completed original Form G-28, 'Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative.'

If your current legal name is different from the name on your Permanent Resident Card, send:

The document(s) that legally changed your name (marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court document).

If you are applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen [WHICH GRACELL IS NOT], send the following four items:

1. Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last three years: to_post_off.gifBirth certificate (if your spouse never lost citizenship since birth), or to_post_off.gifNaturalization certificate, or to_post_off.gifCertificate of Citizenship, or to_post_off.gifThe inside of the front cover and signature page of your spouse's current U.S. passport, or to_post_off.gifForm FS-240, 'Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America', and

2. Your current marriage certificate; and

3. Proof of termination of all prior marriages of your spouse-divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s); and

4. Documents referring to you and your spouse:

Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, or Internal Revenue Service (IRS)-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past three years, or an IRS tax return transcript for the last three years.

So Gracell does NOT have to send items 1-4 and Gracell, it doesn't even look like you need the tax information BUT I got my hubby's packet together last week and didn't read it through enough and got all the documents together for it he was married 3 years to a U.S. citizen. He has actually been here married to me for nearly 7 years and I didn't see the "based on 5 years" information until we were putting it in the mail. I checked that box (5 years) but still sent all the documents and hope they don't get mad there are more things than needed now. :goofy:

K1 PROCESS:

04/08/05 . . . . Sent I-129F to TSC

08/31/05 . . . . London Interview - APPROVED

AOS PROCESS:

10/06/05 . . . . Sent AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago Lockbox

05/16/06 . . . . APPROVED.

REMOVING CONDITIONS PROCESS:

03/03/08 . . . . Sent I-751 packet to TSC.

02/27/09 . . . . APPROVED.

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS:

05/21/12 . . . . Sent N-400 packet to Dallas lockbox

09/11/12 . . . . Interview in Atlanta. Oath ceremony same day. Keith is a U.S. Citizen!

yeah there's no reason to send tax transcripts when applying via 5-year GC. If they want it later they will ask for it (so might as well have it handy, and make sure you've paid your taxes!). Only immediate reason for transcripts is if you're applying for 3 year based on marriage and they want to make sure you're filing as joint married.

I applied on 5 year and did not send transcripts and did not get asked at interview.

:goofy:Sorry to say WRONG to Raul y Karla and JKelly07. Gracell, you are correct and here is why: http://www.visajourney.com/content/naturalization_guide which clearly states:

Only if required, send copies of the following documents (the USCIS will request originals if needed):

If an attorney or accredited representative is acting on your behalf, send:

A completed original Form G-28, 'Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative.'

If your current legal name is different from the name on your Permanent Resident Card, send:

The document(s) that legally changed your name (marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court document).

If you are applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen [WHICH GRACELL IS NOT], send the following four items:

1. Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last three years: to_post_off.gifBirth certificate (if your spouse never lost citizenship since birth), or to_post_off.gifNaturalization certificate, or to_post_off.gifCertificate of Citizenship, or to_post_off.gifThe inside of the front cover and signature page of your spouse's current U.S. passport, or to_post_off.gifForm FS-240, 'Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America', and

2. Your current marriage certificate; and

3. Proof of termination of all prior marriages of your spouse-divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s); and

4. Documents referring to you and your spouse:

Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, or Internal Revenue Service (IRS)-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past three years, or an IRS tax return transcript for the last three years.

So Gracell does NOT have to send items 1-4 and Gracell, it doesn't even look like you need the tax information BUT I got my hubby's packet together last week and didn't read it through enough and got all the documents together for it he was married 3 years to a U.S. citizen. He has actually been here married to me for nearly 7 years and I didn't see the "based on 5 years" information until we were putting it in the mail. I checked that box (5 years) but still sent all the documents and hope they don't get mad there are more things than needed now. :goofy:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Included tax transcripts for the five year, just in case, stepdaughters IO didn't even want to see those, didn't even use the photographs we send and even brought in, used the photo they took of her at biometrics. Also her grade transcripts, didn't want to see those either.

So that basically leaves the green card, check, and application, her interview lasted less than ten minutes. Did throw a loop to us, she had a minor traffic violation, that was okay with them, didn't have to report it, but was asked if she had any. But then they wanted proof she paid that fine. That caused a delay.

Tried to prepare her the best I could, that old minor fine not even stated in the instructions to bring proof of payment in threw us for a loop. Have no idea what they are going to come up with next.

Maybe, do you own a dog? if so, is that dog licensed? Need to see your dog's license.

Timeline

Thanks all for all your thoughts.

By the way Shari, that is also what I understand in the instructions although I did'nt see anything for a 5year eligibility to submit an IRS tax transcript but have read your post.

No problem with me to submit all those pertinent papers but if I can make it lesser,the better.

At first i checked on a 3 year eligibility and prepare those documents,but realized I'm over 5 years as a resident.

Anyway, thanks and good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Thanks all for all your thoughts.

By the way Shari, that is also what I understand in the instructions although I did'nt see anything for a 5year eligibility to submit an IRS tax transcript but have read your post.

No problem with me to submit all those pertinent papers but if I can make it lesser,the better.

At first i checked on a 3 year eligibility and prepare those documents,but realized I'm over 5 years as a resident.

Anyway, thanks and good luck!

:goofy: Good luck to you too! :goofy:

K1 PROCESS:

04/08/05 . . . . Sent I-129F to TSC

08/31/05 . . . . London Interview - APPROVED

AOS PROCESS:

10/06/05 . . . . Sent AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago Lockbox

05/16/06 . . . . APPROVED.

REMOVING CONDITIONS PROCESS:

03/03/08 . . . . Sent I-751 packet to TSC.

02/27/09 . . . . APPROVED.

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS:

05/21/12 . . . . Sent N-400 packet to Dallas lockbox

09/11/12 . . . . Interview in Atlanta. Oath ceremony same day. Keith is a U.S. Citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Its kind of like a cop stops you because your rear license plate is burnt out, not that he can't read it with his bright head lamps. But that gives me the right to inspect your vehicle for drugs if he thinks he suspects something.

Same as your IO if they want to be a hard butt about it, can ask for anything they so please.

Only thing in our envelop was the check, application, green card and two passport photos. Sent it off first class with two first class stamps on it. We did get a yellow letter requesting additional documentation, namely either a photo ID or a drivers' license. Have no idea why they started that, my gals got their drivers' license strictly based on their green cards as the only means of identification. But at the St. Paul office, didn't even want to see that, green card was enough.

Just gave my stepdaughter everything I could think of, just in case, but because she told her IO she had it, he didn't want to see it. If I was asked for proof I paid a traffic violation fine, would have slapped my drivers' license on the table, and said this is proof if enough. If I didn't pay even the slightest fine, wouldn't even have it, state takes those away even for a parking ticket if you don't pay it.

Good luck is getting a half way decent IO, wish both of you good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.