jaycali

NVC - Originals vs Copies

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

So the WAC number before mine was just approved yesterday. If approved (knock on wood) my case will be at the NVC soon! :jest:

So my wife and I are preparing for the NVC now and have a few questions.

I, the beneficiary, have the following in my possession:

1. Original birth certificate. Issued in English.

2. Original police certificate. Issued in English.

3. Original marriage certificate. Issued by Hawaii Dept. of Health.

4. DS-230, part 1 signed.

5. Choice of Agent form appointing my wife as the agent. Signed.

My wife, the petitioner, has the following in her possession:

1. Last three years' tax return transcripts, all showing income greater than 125% of Hawaii poverty guidelines.

2. I-864, signed.

3. Last 6 months' pay stubs.

Question 1. Am I missing anything?

Question 2. I understand that both the NVC and the embassy are going to want originals, correct? So my question is concerning the logistics of it all. If I mail out the original police, marriage and birth certificate alone with the IV package, I won't have any to bring to the embassy. If I send photocopies of all these to the NVC, I'll have the originals for the interview.. But the NVC won't accept photocopies, will they?

Does this then mean I need to get an additional birth certificate, an additional police certificate as well as an additional marriage certificate?

3. Is it generally a good idea for me to mail everything I have to my wife, and then for her to mail it to NVC once the IV bill is paid? Or should/could I just FedEx it all directly from Norway to the NVC when ready?

Edited by jaejayC

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Question 2. I understand that both the NVC and the embassy are going to want originals, correct? So my question is concerning the logistics of it all. If I mail out the original police, marriage and birth certificate alone with the IV package, I won't have any to bring to the embassy. If I send photocopies of all these to the NVC, I'll have the originals for the interview.. But the NVC won't accept photocopies, will they?

I think you are a bit confused on document intake, NVC vs the Embassy.

NVC handles document intake for the Visa Application.

Once that's completed, the casefile with all of the documents that were submitted, is forwarded on to the Embassy IV Unit.

So, after the casefile finishes this 'travel', you'll see that the Embassy, does, in fact, have the originals, because NVC did their job and collected them from you, then forwarded them on to the Embassy.

Said another way...

In the end, on interview day, the Embassy already has your original docs, as they travelled from NVC to the Embassy. You do NOT need to make another set for submittal INTO the Embassy, at all.

--

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Just so you know, USCIS doesn't approve petitions in order.

For your documents:

1. Original birth certificate. Issued in English.

2. Original police certificate. Issued in English.

3. Original marriage certificate. Issued by Hawaii Dept. of Health.

4. DS-230, part 1 signed. and part 2 filled out but unsigned

5. Choice of Agent form. Signed. don't need this. you can send the choice of agent by email. see here: http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/Email_DS-3032_form

6. 2 pcs US-sized passport photos - write name, DOB, and NVC case number at the back

7. photocopy of passport biographic info page

For the petitioner's documents, an employment letter, but that's only optional.

The NVC website states they require originals/certified copies AND photocopies, so you also need photocopies of your civil documents above. If you've resided in other countries for more than 6 months, a police clearance certificate from that country as well. Also, divorce decrees, military records, prison records, if applicable.

I would suggest getting extra original documents (our embassy is known for asking for originals), but that's entirely up to you.

Edited by reginakrys

USCIS

10/01/11 - Filed (2) I-130's

10/04/11 - NOA-1

04/05/12 - NOA-2

Your I-130 was approved in 184 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC

04/23/12 - NVC received both cases (18 days/12 business days from NOA-2)

05/07/12 - Case numbers and IIN's (14 days/10 business days since NVC received)

05/07/12 - Sent out DS-3032 by email; auto-response received

05/08/12 - AOS fee invoiced, paid - "IN PROCESS"

05/09/12 - AOS fee shows as "PAID"

05/10/12 - Spouse's DS-3032 accepted; minor child's rejected = had petitioner call NVC = received verbal acceptance from operator

05/11/12 - Spouse's IV fee invoiced

05/14/12 - Daughter's IV fee invoiced, paid both IV fees - "IN PROCESS"

05/15/12 - Both IV fees show as "PAID"

05/16/12 - Sent both AOS and both IV packages to NVC via USPS (expected delivery: 05/19/12)

05/21/12 - All 4 packages delivered

05/30/12 - Received checklist for daughter's AOS

05/31/12 - Sent response to checklist via USPS (expected delivery: 06/01/12); Spouse's case completed

06/07/12 - Daughter's case completed; waiting for interview date

06/14/12 - P4 received: interview date 07/11/12

Embassy

07/04-05/12 - Medical at SLEC

07/11/12 - Interview: APPROVED!

07/14/12 - Visas on hand

POE: 10/17/12

GC's on hand: 10/31/12

Just so you know, USCIS doesn't approve petitions in order.

I know this. But I take it as a sign that an NOA2 isn't too far away.

For your documents:

1. Original birth certificate. Issued in English. CHECK

2. Original police certificate. Issued in English. CHECK

3. Original marriage certificate. Issued by Hawaii Dept. of Health.CHECK

4. DS-230, part 1 signed. and part 2 filled out but unsigned Got it. CHECK

5. Choice of Agent form. Signed. don't need this. you can send the choice of agent by email. see here: http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/Email_DS-3032_form - Roger. CHECK

6. 2 pcs US-sized passport photos - write name, DOB, and NVC case number at the back. Thanks. CHECK

7. photocopy of passport biographic info page Understood. CHECK

For the petitioner's documents, an employment letter, but that's only optional.

The NVC website states they require originals/certified copies AND photocopies, so you also need photocopies of your civil documents above. If you've resided in other countries for more than 6 months, a police clearance certificate from that country as well. I resided in the US for many years as a student, but I assume the US does its own checks there.Also, divorce decrees, military records, prison records, if applicable.I would suggest getting extra original documents (our embassy is known for asking for originals), but that's entirely up to you. I might just get an extra of everything, but required to send in the IV package is just one original and one photocopy of all applicable civil documents, correct?

Edited by jaejayC

Timeline

Many thanks Darnell. So if I make photocopies (for safe keeps) and mail off the original birth, marriage and police certificates in the IV package along with the DS-230, I'm good to go on interview day?

almost ;)

you have forgottenn the photocopy requirement for NVC intake/submittal.

Here's a direct link:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Perfect. Thanks guys.

Here's another one.. The question on DS-230 that asks me to list every visit and stay in the US. Well, I've entered and left the US probably around 20 times, both on the VWP , J-1 and F-1. First time when I was 2 years old. I don't remember all the dates precicely, but I can narrow most visits down to the month, and recent (last 5 years) down to exact dates.

For my VWP visits in 1988 and 1991, I can only guesstimate the month (give or take). I was 2 and 5 at the time, and didn't have my own passport. (Back then it was acceptable to be listed in your mother's passport). So if I write 06/15/1988 - 07/15/1988, and it turns out I was actually there from 01/07/1988 - 01/08/1988.. An explanation at the interview should be fine.. Am I right to assume this?

Edited by jaejayC

• 1 month later...

I think you are a bit confused on document intake, NVC vs the Embassy.

NVC handles document intake for the Visa Application.

Once that's completed, the casefile with all of the documents that were submitted, is forwarded on to the Embassy IV Unit.

So, after the casefile finishes this 'travel', you'll see that the Embassy, does, in fact, have the originals, because NVC did their job and collected them from you, then forwarded them on to the Embassy.

Said another way...

In the end, on interview day, the Embassy already has your original docs, as they travelled from NVC to the Embassy. You do NOT need to make another set for submittal INTO the Embassy, at all.

--

Good Luck !

Is this the same for the Affidavit Of Support? Cause I turned I turned in the originals for that as well to NVC but keep reading that they want last years tax record at interview but want make sure that is also forwarded?

Timeline

Is this the same for the Affidavit Of Support? Cause I turned I turned in the originals for that as well to NVC but keep reading that they want last years tax record at interview but want make sure that is also forwarded?

It is the same.

Edited by Darnell

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.