Mogambi

Random things I learned in the K1 process

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I thought it might be interesting for those of us who have been through the K1 process in the Philippines and been granted the visa, to share some random tidbits that they think might help other. My fiance was granted her visa two weeks ago, and last week it was delivered from the embassy. She finished her CFO session three days ago, and now that it's all done (well until she gets here anyway :) I thought I'd share some random thoughts:

1) Make sure when she's getting her NBI clearance she tells them that it's for a US Fiance Visa. They will write the words 'For Travel to USA' on the green NBI that she gets, and this is what the US Embassy wants. This NBI clearance can take longer. In our case, it took almost three weeks to get. Allow extra time for this!

2) They do not care about local police reports. We had local police and baranguy clearances from Manila and Zamboanga just in case. They never looked at them.

3) My fiance lived in Kuwait for two years, and it caused me a lot of stress trying to figure out how to get a police clearance from Kuwait, as they say they will only grand that to current citizens. It took a long time to get the US Embassy to finally reply to me and tell me that because Kuwait won't give it, they won't expect it. I had done a lot of searching, even here and other visa sites, and nowhere did I ever find the answer to that one. Even immigration lawyers I talked to weren't sure. They just kept saying 'just go to the Kuwait embassy and they will give it'. Not true.

4) They did however demand police clearance from Thailand, where she also lived for two years. This took about a month to get, and involved first going to the Thai Embassy. If anyone needs help on that one, just let me know.

5) Getting your beneficiary's CENOMAR and Birth Certificate in the Philippines is super easy. At the Embassy, they want to see the official Birth Certificate, issued by the National Statistics Office, and can be ordered online. You go to https://www.ecensus.com.ph/Default.aspx and order them. Your fiance goes to the bank to make the payment, and voila. We had our CENOMAR three days after ordering, and the official NSO copy of her birth certificate 12 days later (only that long because she was born in the province and they had to go back to the microfische to find it).

6) While you are ordering the CENOMAR and Birth Certificate, order TWO. The US Embassy will take them (maybe they're in the sealed yellow envelope, I don't know) but it's cheap, and then you'll have a spare of each one.

7) no need to arrive at the US Embassy at 4am. My fiancé arrived at 6am and was still done by 10:30. I doubt the ones who arrived at 4am finished that much earlier.

8) Once you have booked your interview date, you are allowed to change it twice without penalty. If you try and change it the third time, you will have to pay the entire p15,000 fee again. I know this because we had to push our interview twice while waiting for the Thai police clearance to show up. Once we had it, I went to change it a third time (to move it back up a bit) and that's when I got the message that you can only change it twice.

9) the process is stressful because of so much waiting. But for anyone remotely organized, it's not 'hard' per se, and you don't need an immigration lawyer or visa service. My fiance lived a bunch of places, and so I have, and I work freelance, all of these things could have made it all harder. But still we sailed through without any RFE, administrative reviews, etc.

10) National Bookstore in the Philippines sells the absolute perfect plastic binder/holder things for use in organizing all your paperwork. They are like a dollar a piece, have plastic sleeves to hold all your paperwork. In the end we had four, one for our I-129F petition, one for things for the US Embassy Interview, and two to hold all of our evidence. Now it's all still nicely organized and ready to hang onto. I should have bought a hundred of them and made them available here, honestly, they absolutely perfect for K1 visa applications!!

Tim

I'd love to hear little things other people have learned going through the process.

Timeline

Oh and one more thing:

11) the CFO Counseling session is more than just a 'class' your fiancé has to attend. They may and probably will interview her, and it's probably a good idea to bring all your embassy paperwork with you, photos, etc. Also bring that extra CENOMAR and Birth Certificate you got in advice step 6 :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Awesome & Excellent Information! TY for sharing, I will bookmark this for Ms Sunshine too!! :)

5 OCT 2011 Meet on a Free Christian Website www.jaderune.com
19 OCT 2011 Agree to be exclusive GF & BF after seeing her CENOMAR
10 NOV 2011 He Purchased Round Trip Ticket to Meet Me and Family.
7 to 27 FEB 2012 We Meet and Spent 21 Wonderful Days in Bohol.
26 FEB 2012 Engagement.
12 MAR 2012 I-129F Mailed to Dallas, TX Lock Box.
19 MAR 2012 USCIS email NOA1 and sent to California Service Center.
22 MAR 2012 NOA1 Letter I-797C received from snail mail.
20 APR 2012 Another NOA1 Letter I-797C this time with Alien # Added.
15 AUG 2012 She travels to Cebu an Obtained: NSO, NBI, BC and CFO Seminar Certificate in hand.
28 AUG 2012 NOA#2 I-797, received text and confirmed on dashboard. 162 days from NOA#1.
28 AUG 2012 FEDEX my packet to Her. Added I-134, Newly dated Intent to Marry Letter.
4 SEP 2012 FEDEX received in Bohol.
5 SEP 2012 MNL#, IIN# and BID# all retrieved from NVC.
6 SEP 2012 BPI payment made.
26 SEP 2012 St Lukes Medical PASSED smile.png
9 NOV 2012 Embassy Interview Date: Result = APPROAVED
15 NOV 2012 2GO Visa Delivered

22 NOV 2012 Point of Entry, Detroit, Michigan USA

28 NOV 2012 Marriage License

7 DEC Applied SSN, 17 DEC recieved SS Card

29 DEC Married

Adjustment of Status filed in Mid MAR 2013

AOS has 3 each NOA1 recieved

Biometrics was done mid April 2013.

SS Card changed to Married Name with Madien Name now middle name.

EAD / AP combo-card approved 18 MAY 2013.

AOS Interview was 28 MAY 2013, Approved.

Green Card with EAD/AP recieved 15 June 2013.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

1) The embassy doesn't care if its marked for travel to the USA, they just want a current NBI with all alias names.

Totally agree with getting extra copies of the certified birth certificate from NSO, I had my fiancee get 6 as they will come in handy here in the States.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Well I will say this, I've seen two colors for NBI clearance in the Philippines, yellow and green. They told my fiance that yellow one is just good for local use in the Philippines for employment, etc. They told her she needed the green one for a visa. So my warning was just, if you tell them it's for travel to the US on a K1 visa, at least you're sure to get the right one, and having 'For Travel to the US' on it, like they put on ours, probably doesn't HURT anything.

I can't say if there really is a difference between the yellow and green NBI. Anyone here have and use a Yellow NBI?

Maybe yellow was just the older color. I can't say for certain. But at the NBI office they definitely implied that the one she needed for the US Embassy was NOT the same one most people were getting. And as I said, ours took almost three weeks, while a normal NBI for employment can usually be gotten the same day.

So I think it still might be safer to tell them what it's for, just to avoid any confusion.

Timeline

mine has travel abroad and its accepted with no issue. all they need to see is all the name alias and no criminal record. Kuwait and saudi doesnt provide police clearance unless youre still residing there. i know this coz i was there and i didnt have to submit one.

Earn a $15 Gift Card!http://refer.xoom.com/a/clk/2BjwkwUse ENJOYDEC code to send free :)

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well I will say this, I've seen two colors for NBI clearance in the Philippines, yellow and green. They told my fiance that yellow one is just good for local use in the Philippines for employment, etc. They told her she needed the green one for a visa. So my warning was just, if you tell them it's for travel to the US on a K1 visa, at least you're sure to get the right one, and having 'For Travel to the US' on it, like they put on ours, probably doesn't HURT anything.

I can't say if there really is a difference between the yellow and green NBI. Anyone here have and use a Yellow NBI?

Maybe yellow was just the older color. I can't say for certain. But at the NBI office they definitely implied that the one she needed for the US Embassy was NOT the same one most people were getting. And as I said, ours took almost three weeks, while a normal NBI for employment can usually be gotten the same day.

So I think it still might be safer to tell them what it's for, just to avoid any confusion.

That very well may be true, I will ask... hang on. Just asked my fiancee, she said they will ask at NBI if its for visa (USA) or whatever, so they will issue the correct one. So yes ...

Edited by Hank_Amy

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

The only real thing I learned is that my wife is way smarter than I am.

you left yourself wide open with that one.... :whistle:

:rofl: .... we learned your wife is way smarter than you also!! :rofl:

:help::help::help::help::help:

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi! I just got my green NBI clearnace today. I went there at 8:15am and they released

my clearance at 10am.It would have been earlier if not for the 30 minutes

brownout.

The yellow is for the local, yes. While the green is given for those who

are going out of the country. But they do asked for the purpose and I told them

for travel abroad. If the country one is going to is the U.S.,Canada, Australia,

U.K, they put it in the clearance,like they did in mine. But if it's in the middle

east and Asia, the purpose is just travel abroad. :)

ENGAGED TO STRAIGHTSHOOTER

TIMELINE

Met online 8 May 11

Met in person 1 Dec 11

Joined VJ 22 Dec 11

I thought it might be interesting for those of us who have been through the K1 process in the Philippines and been granted the visa, to share some random tidbits that they think might help other. My fiance was granted her visa two weeks ago, and last week it was delivered from the embassy. She finished her CFO session three days ago, and now that it's all done (well until she gets here anyway :) I thought I'd share some random thoughts:

1) Make sure when she's getting her NBI clearance she tells them that it's for a US Fiance Visa. They will write the words 'For Travel to USA' on the green NBI that she gets, and this is what the US Embassy wants. This NBI clearance can take longer. In our case, it took almost three weeks to get. Allow extra time for this!

2) They do not care about local police reports. We had local police and baranguy clearances from Manila and Zamboanga just in case. They never looked at them.

3) My fiance lived in Kuwait for two years, and it caused me a lot of stress trying to figure out how to get a police clearance from Kuwait, as they say they will only grand that to current citizens. It took a long time to get the US Embassy to finally reply to me and tell me that because Kuwait won't give it, they won't expect it. I had done a lot of searching, even here and other visa sites, and nowhere did I ever find the answer to that one. Even immigration lawyers I talked to weren't sure. They just kept saying 'just go to the Kuwait embassy and they will give it'. Not true.

4) They did however demand police clearance from Thailand, where she also lived for two years. This took about a month to get, and involved first going to the Thai Embassy. If anyone needs help on that one, just let me know.

5) Getting your beneficiary's CENOMAR and Birth Certificate in the Philippines is super easy. At the Embassy, they want to see the official Birth Certificate, issued by the National Statistics Office, and can be ordered online. You go to https://www.ecensus.com.ph/Default.aspx and order them. Your fiance goes to the bank to make the payment, and voila. We had our CENOMAR three days after ordering, and the official NSO copy of her birth certificate 12 days later (only that long because she was born in the province and they had to go back to the microfische to find it).

6) While you are ordering the CENOMAR and Birth Certificate, order TWO. The US Embassy will take them (maybe they're in the sealed yellow envelope, I don't know) but it's cheap, and then you'll have a spare of each one.

7) no need to arrive at the US Embassy at 4am. My fiancé arrived at 6am and was still done by 10:30. I doubt the ones who arrived at 4am finished that much earlier.

8) Once you have booked your interview date, you are allowed to change it twice without penalty. If you try and change it the third time, you will have to pay the entire p15,000 fee again. I know this because we had to push our interview twice while waiting for the Thai police clearance to show up. Once we had it, I went to change it a third time (to move it back up a bit) and that's when I got the message that you can only change it twice.

9) the process is stressful because of so much waiting. But for anyone remotely organized, it's not 'hard' per se, and you don't need an immigration lawyer or visa service. My fiance lived a bunch of places, and so I have, and I work freelance, all of these things could have made it all harder. But still we sailed through without any RFE, administrative reviews, etc.

10) National Bookstore in the Philippines sells the absolute perfect plastic binder/holder things for use in organizing all your paperwork. They are like a dollar a piece, have plastic sleeves to hold all your paperwork. In the end we had four, one for our I-129F petition, one for things for the US Embassy Interview, and two to hold all of our evidence. Now it's all still nicely organized and ready to hang onto. I should have bought a hundred of them and made them available here, honestly, they absolutely perfect for K1 visa applications!!

Tim

I'd love to hear little things other people have learned going through the process.

i had my NBI stating travel abroad,it was fine...i worked in Kuwait,we search about

getting Police clearance but it was impossible for the person who's no longer there,and

the US embassy actually don't need it,but Singapore we had to provide,it took 10 working

days.We really give time for the PC from other country to arrived before our interview.

for BC i had 2 extra copy from NSO.just in case...i did my documents organized even

label it but the consul didn't bother to see it,whenever they ask something i had to pull out from my folder.they look for our photo's,chat log's for proof of on going relationship.

the process can be really stressful,just be Patient and Pray always...God Bless us all!!!

Our Journey Together,Forever...

June 04 Detroit(POE)

June 15 Wedding "Blessed Day!" thank God!

July 13'12 Appointment Civil Surgeon

Adjustment Of Status

July 18'12 Send my application for AOS

July 20'12 USPS delivered my docs. to USCIS Chicago,IL

July 23'12 USCIS received Application(Priority date)

July 26'12 Check cash out/got txt@email,received my application

July 30'12 received mail NOA1(AOS/EAD/AP)

Aug.22'12 Biometrics done(Detroit,MI)

Sept.19 USCIS mailed a noticed they approved my Travel Docs.

Sept.20 EAD card on production(approved in 60 days!)

Sept.25 USPS pick up mail from USCIS(EAD card on the way!)

Sept.27 EAD card received.

Sept 28 went to SSOffice for name change on SSN card.

Oct 05'12 Got my new SSN card.

April 16'13 USCIS emailed Case Status:Card/Document Production.

April 20'13 Recieved mail from USCIS welcome notice.

April 22'13 USCIS email that USPS picked up mail containing my GC.

April 25'13 Green Card on hand,finally!...

Timeline

One more thing! You need no Police Certificate from the UAE...Dubai, Kuwait, and all other places there, You right, you cant get it! I have heard this debated from time to time.My Fiancee worked in Dubai for a year. you can go to " WWW.Travel.state.gov" for all that information. No need to stress, YOU DONT NEED POLICE CERTIFICATE FROM UAE! MY fiancee had her interview last month in April, they never ever asked for it, although she had been to dubai for over a year and they had all that information. Good Luck!:thumbs: :thumbs:

Edited by southcalhog

Sent NOA1 April 30th 2011

received May 2nd 2011

NOA1 Notice Date:May 4th 2011

NOA 2 txt/ email on july 18th 2011

NOA 2 received in Mail July 20th dated July 18th 2011

NOA2 in "74" days!

NO RFE

Personal issue in the Philippines

Medical Exam: March 22nd 2012

Medical Cleared on March 23rd 2012

Interview Date:April 16th, 2012......PASSED

Arrival Los Angeles California: July 7th 2012.

Marriage September 7th 2012 at San Bernardino County Hall of Records

Preparing for AOS

"I Wholly disapprove of what you say, But I will defend to the death, Your RIGHT to say it"

" _ Volitaire- "

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The one thing I learned. Asawa ko is so wonderful, it is hard to live without her. I wished I had married a filipina back when I was 25 instead of waiting until now. But maybe, just maybe beucase of my past, I really treasure her more......

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The one thing I learned. Asawa ko is so wonderful, it is hard to live without her. I wished I had married a filipina back when I was 25 instead of waiting until now. But maybe, just maybe beucase of my past, I really treasure her more......

If I was your wife I would be very upset to read the bolded part :angry:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.