Sara khan

I-290B- how long and any tips?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi

I always read your posts these are very help full. today I have a question that I applied I-290B. in September 2011. because my vawa was denied no thing I heard from USCIS.except one receipt .I have a question this I-290B how long gonna take and what is the processing time for this case.thank you.if some one is in same situation.I will appreciate

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Sarah initially the I-290B goes to the same office that denied,and it takes six months (average) for an appeal procedure, if the denial overcome they will reopen and approved it, if they don't approve your I-290B they will forwarded to the AAO,and you have 30 days to appeal at the USCIS office which issued the denial decision then you can challenge the decision in Federal District Court.

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

Sara I really hope everything goes well in your case, but keep in mind that not even 2% of the I-290B filings are approved, but in case of denial you can still appeal of the decision, or withdrawn the petition and start all over again.

Disclaimer: The information contained is educational only and should not be construed as legal advice.

Edited by sandranj

• 7 months later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I know this is a semi old topic but I know that I have searched for answers when I applied for my husbands appeal and was discouraged when I saw that waiting times were 6mo-2years....I just wanted to shed some light and good news....we were denied our i485 due to not having a co-sponsor....we got our sponsor and hired a lawyer....our appeal was sent end of July 2012 and in October 2012 our appeal was approved and we received our EAD just s few days later...it was just about 3 months wait...I hope this helps some people that were/are in the same boat!

Our love began in 2010....our Journey in 2012 (January) and now we are at peace until 2014!

Timeline (kinda-- Im not putting exact dates- just months~)

--January 2012-- Sent our I-485 and I-130 packet off :)

--February 2012-- Touch-- Need more evidence.

--February 2012-- Sent more evidence.

--March 2012-- Biometrics and Doctors App (around the same time)

--June 2012-- (BIG PROBLEM) Immigration sent us a 'DENIAL' letter due to not having a sponsor (I thought we didnt need one)

--June 2012-- we hired a lawyer and got a sponsor, got the I-290B Motion to Appeal or Reopen had everything sent off by the end of July 2012.

--October 2012-- OUR APPEAL WAS APPROVED (breath easy, we didn't have to wait too long)

--October 2012-- Work permit sent-- got SSN

--November 26th, 2012-- AOS interview-- Got sent out told to get a translator and new interview date would be sent. :(

--January 8th, 2013-- Second interview...went well but no idea if we were approved or denied....VERY STRESSFUL!!

--January 15th, 2013-- APPPPPPRRRROOOOVVVEEEED!!!!!! (checked on USCIS web site)

--January 18th, 2013-- Card Production Ordered....welcome letter (hard copy) in the mail!!! :)

--January 24th, 2013--CARD IN HAND!!! DONE!!!!!

on-beach-at-sunset.jpg

• 1 year later...

new on this site and in need of advice. I had filed for I-751 to remove conditions on residence.At the time of filing my wife had to go to rehab for 16 months due to substance abuse and not being in right frame of mind. We were separated and my lawyer advised me to stay away from her to avoid getting into trouble with the law. My lawyer had stated that I did not need her to be around when filing since we had enough evidence of what she was going through and all I had to do was to file the I-751 as single. The I-751 was filled and I received my 1 year extension plus receipt number after two weeks.I was now waiting for the biometrics letter to come in. 3 weeks had gone and still no appointment for biometrics. I called the USCIS 1800-375-5283 and was told they had not sent it yet.For 5 months consistently I had inquired about this appointment for 10 times thats 2 calls after every two weeks and no one could tell me what was happening. 6 months later I was told to contact the main service center dealing with my case and was given an email for VSC to email them of which if they did not reply within 21 days I should contact SCOPSSCATA. 21 days later no response from VSC, I emailed SCOPPSSCATA and within 2 days they had replied and I quote "As indicated in the automated reply you should have already received, the purpose of this account is to assist petitioners, applicants or their authorized representatives who have contacted the NCSC number (1-800-375-5283) with an inquiry but feel their inquiry was not adequately addressed within 30days or who feel that the response from the National Customer Service Center was not sufficient .This auto reply message will serve as a record of our receiving your inquiry." 7 months had gone by and I had already contacted them 14 times . 3 months later my lawyer called me and said he had received a mail stating that I missed the Biometrics appointment and needed to file a motion to reopen/reconsider I-290b. I had 30 days to file since they said I missed the biometrics appointment.My lawyer was the one receiving most of the mail and was informing me of the proceedings,apparently he said he did not receive the appointment letter.This lawyer was happy that I had inquired about the situation and I had call records and supporting evidence. I dropped the lawyer and decided to file the motion personally since I was paying him and he was not doing anything about the case.I filed for the motion and got an info pass at my local office and they gave me a 1 year extension on my passport. As it is the USCIS are saying that they cannot answer my inquiry over the phone and that third party inquirers will not be recognized. i'm lost now and need advice and should I hire a lawyer ???

• 3 years later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread from 2012 is now closed to further comment.  A new thread on the topic may be started.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.