68 posts in this topic

There are no laws that say you have to be treated "nice". There ARE laws that say you can't be discriminated against, particularly in housing. As I said before, unless she treats EVERY person the same way, it's a violation of federal fair housing laws

First of all there is absolutely no evidence of discrimination based on wht the op has posted. Secondly, your comment about "the woman treating everyone the same way" is absurd. Do you treat everyone you encounter during the course of a day the exact same way? I'd be willing to say you don't. I certainly know I don't, nor do I know of anyone that can make that claim. Have you ever had a bad day and been rude to someone, I know I have.

This woman saw a greencard and reacted to it.

Really, and you know this how? You're jumping to conclusions that neither you or I have a right to make based on what has been presented here.

And, if your application ends up being denied, they better have an unquestionable reason for it. The apartment complex is on very thin ice here

No they're not. At worst a complaint will go on file with the county or state if the op chooses to file one.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Remember - every story has two sides and my guess is that her side will be entirely different.

I think there are three sides to every story!

I-130

2011-08-20 Posted

2011-08-31 NOA1

2011-09-03 Touch

2011-11-18 Sent Expedite Request to USCIS

2011-12-09 Response Received for Exepedite Request

"Wait your turn" in a nutshell

2011-12-02 Sent Expedite Request to US Representative Ed Royce

2012-01-27 Sent Expedite Request to Immigration Ombudsman

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Barbara Boxer

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Dianne Feinstein

2012-03-08 Case transferred to field office for additional processing

2012-03-23 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-05-10 Transferred to another office for processing

2012-05-14 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-06-05 Approved NOA2

2012-07-17 NVC Case/Invoice # Received

Petitioner: US Born Citizen (Wife)

Beneficiary: British Born Citizen (Husband)

Your I-130 was approved in 279 days from your NOA1 date

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Your, mine and the truth? :thumbs:

Precisely! :thumbs:

I-130

2011-08-20 Posted

2011-08-31 NOA1

2011-09-03 Touch

2011-11-18 Sent Expedite Request to USCIS

2011-12-09 Response Received for Exepedite Request

"Wait your turn" in a nutshell

2011-12-02 Sent Expedite Request to US Representative Ed Royce

2012-01-27 Sent Expedite Request to Immigration Ombudsman

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Barbara Boxer

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Dianne Feinstein

2012-03-08 Case transferred to field office for additional processing

2012-03-23 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-05-10 Transferred to another office for processing

2012-05-14 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-06-05 Approved NOA2

2012-07-17 NVC Case/Invoice # Received

Petitioner: US Born Citizen (Wife)

Beneficiary: British Born Citizen (Husband)

Your I-130 was approved in 279 days from your NOA1 date

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

First of all there is absolutely no evidence of discrimination based on wht the op has posted. Secondly, your comment about "the woman treating everyone the same way" is absurd. Do you treat everyone you encounter during the course of a day the exact same way? I'd be willing to say you don't. I certainly know I don't, nor do I know of anyone that can make that claim. Have you ever had a bad day and been rude to someone, I know I have.

Being rude is not all that happened here. She saw a greencard and demanded other documents, including suggesting the SSN was stolen. So, unless she tells every applicant that their SSN is stolen, it appears she practiced discrimination. I'm not making this up. This is the way fair housing works. If you want to open a hair salon and hang a sign on it that says "white people only", you can. Housing is different.

As far as whether or not I treat everyone the same way...yes, I treat every applicant the same way. I give them the same forms and information. I don't make judgements about whether or not someone is eligible for housing until I have all the information. A 19 year old could rollerskate in here and tell me he's 68 and needs a handicap apartment and I would smile and hand him the paperwork. That's how it works.

Really, and you know this how? You're jumping to conclusions that neither you or I have a right to make based on what has been presented here.

I'm basing it on the story that was told. While there are two sides to every story, and the truth is usually in the middle, for the purposes of responding here, I have to assume the poster is telling the truth.

No they're not. At worst a complaint will go on file with the county or state if the op chooses to file one.

Fair housing laws are federal. And if you get a fair housing complaint, at the very least, you end up having to take fair housing training. You may or may not get fined. It's not fun and it's a big deal in the housing industry.

AOS

5/16/2012 - Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 1:33pm

5/21/2012 - Email/text notifications received at 4:50 p.m.

5/26/2012 - NOA hard copies received for I-130, I-485 and I-765

6/19/2012 - Biometrics completed.

7/02/2012 - Text/email/hard copy notification of interview.

7/30/2012 - EAD card production ordered.

8/02/2012 - Interview @ 2:00

8/02/2012 - Email notification of GC production at 5:30pm

8/07/2012 - Second GC production email

8/07/2012 - EAD received.

8/08/2012 - GC mailed.

8/09/2012 - Welcome letter and I-130 approval letter received.

8/10/2012 - Green card received. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.