9 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm about to send off AOS package and i have some questions,

1- do i need to send a copy of my wife(USC) birth certificate ?

2- do i need to send 3 certfied copies of marriage certificate? one for I-485 , one for EAD and one for AP ?

3- do i need to send 3 copies of my passport pages and 3 copies of my visa and I-94 of just one copy each ?

4- do i have to send original copies of anything?

5- do i have to notarize any documents?

6- can i send the payment as money order or is it better to send a check? and the amount is $1070 right?

7- do i have to send 3 cover letters? one for I-485, one for EAD and one for AP?

8- on the form G-325a question where it says "this form is submitted in connection with an application for: shall i tick - STATUS AS PERMANENT RESIDENT or tick other and type - ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS? since i should be granted 2 years green card and i won't become a permanent resident right away ?

9- am i able to apply for a us driver license before Green card is received?

10-do i have to send proof or marriage(relation) pictures etc.... or it's not required to be sent with AOS package?

any help is highly appreciated

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

1- do i need to send a copy of my wife(USC) birth certificate ?

2- do i need to send 3 certfied copies of marriage certificate? one for I-485 , one for EAD and one for AP ?

3- do i need to send 3 copies of my passport pages and 3 copies of my visa and I-94 of just one copy each ?

4- do i have to send original copies of anything?

5- do i have to notarize any documents?

6- can i send the payment as money order or is it better to send a check? and the amount is $1070 right?

7- do i have to send 3 cover letters? one for I-485, one for EAD and one for AP?

8- on the form G-325a question where it says "this form is submitted in connection with an application for: shall i tick - STATUS AS PERMANENT RESIDENT or tick other and type - ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS? since i should be granted 2 years green card and i won't become a permanent resident right away ?

9- am i able to apply for a us driver license before Green card is received?

10-do i have to send proof or marriage(relation) pictures etc.... or it's not required to be sent with AOS package?

For numbers 1-3:

Read through the VJ AOS guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AND Look through Vanessa&Tony's guide. It lists all the documents you need for each form. Very easy to follow: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/235331-aos-ead-ap-from-k1-the-aussie-way-doc-list-included/

4.) No. Only send copies, not the originals.

5.) No, nothing needs to be notarized.

6.) You can use a money order, but personal check is easier to track. Yes, the fee is $1070. See the I-485 instructions for fee, who to make the check out to, and mailing address.

7.) That is up to you. We used 1 cover letter, but some have used 1 for each form.

8.) Yes, tick STATUS AS PERMANENT RESIDENT. A conditional green card is the same as the 10 year except you will need to apply to remove conditions starting 90 days before it expires. When your AOS is approved, you will be a permanent resident.

9.) That would depend on the laws for your state. Look them up. Some will allow you to get one with your NOA receipt from filing for AOS, some won't. You just need to check with your local DMV. You can most likely get one with your EAD when it comes.

10.) No. You do not need the proof of co-mingling finances and accounts and residing together until the time you would have an interview, if you even do. It is possible for those adjusting from a K-1 to be approved without an interview. The only proof of marriage you need to send with AOS is a copy of your certified marriage certificate.

I cannot stress this enough, so I will repeat it:

Read through the VJ AOS guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AND Look through Vanessa&Tony's guide. It lists all the documents you need for each form. Very easy to follow: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/235331-aos-ead-ap-from-k1-the-aussie-way-doc-list-included/

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

You HAVEN'T read instruction and guideline. It is really difficult. Please read all instructions with the forms and guideline below before asking question, this is DIY so you have to read first.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Going straight to your questions...

1. Yes you do need to send a copy of your spouses proof of US citizenship which could be either the bio data page of her passport or a copy of her birth certificate.

2. You only need to send one copy of marriage certificate. That should do for all.

3. I would suggest that you make photocopies of every page of your passport including the bio data page and also send just a photocopy of your I-94... This info is in accordance to the instructions.

4. No! Make sure all the supporting documents you send are copies. This is because you still have to take with you to your interview the originals of everything that you might have sent with your AOS package. So don't send originals of anything!

5. I don't think you have to notarize anything except if you are sending affidavits from people attesting to knowing that your relationship/marriage is real... then they it they have to notarize it.

6. Either way works but from personal experience and reading about other Vj members' experience, I'd suggest you send a check.

7. Now I'm not sure about the cover letter but I would think that send just one cover letter detailing everything that's in the package would be enough. It's gonna be one package at the end of the day.

8. If you tick status as a permanent resident or tick other and type in AOS, I for one think it's still gonna be the same. You are apply to change your non-immigrant status to that of an LPR so I'd say tick the permanent resident. That was what I ticked I don't recollect having any issues about it till date.

9. Yes you will be able to apply for a license once you receive your EAD after approval. EAD's usually get's approved and received say in between 60-90 after filing. So with that you can go to your loval DMV.

10. Yes. Look at the instructions for the proof of relationship that is required of you to send alongside your package and also send anything else you can come up with that proves your relationship is a bonafide one. So yes, send proofs, whatever it is that you can.

I hope I've been able to help as much as I can. Others with better knowledge can correct me if I was wrong anywhere. Good luck!

3/21/2012 (Day 0) - I-130, I-485 and I-765 sent.

3/23/2012 (Day 1) - Delivered to USCIS.

3/27/2012 (Day 5) - E-Notification that paperwork received.

3/28/2012 (Day 6) - One check for $1,490 cashed & cleared for I-130 and I-485.

4/02/2012 (Day 11) - NOA hard copies received (x3), case status available online & bio appt. also received, dated 04/12 @ 8:00 AM.

4/10/2012 (Day 19) - Case status online says changed to RFE received.

4/12/2012 (Day 21) - Successful biometric done.

5/11/2012 (Day 50) - Complete RFE (I-864) received. Case status online changed to RFE received.

5/16/2012 (Day 55) - Online case status says: Card/ Document Production.

5/21/2012 (Day 60) - Online case status says: Card picked up by USPS.

5/24/2012 (Day 63) - EAD card in hand.

6/12/2012 (Day 82) - Testing and Interview.

7/12/2012 (Day 112) - Interview date!

7/12/2012 (Day 112) - Approved.

1- do i need to send a copy of my wife(USC) birth certificate ? First you must realize tis is for YOUR adjustment of status, so all documentation requested is usually for YOU not your USC spouse. It asks for the foreign born birth certificate. Do YOU have any criminal record? (part 1 bfore we get to copy of birth certificate). So the answer is NO. A copy of your wife's BC is not needed.

2- do i need to send 3 certfied copies of marriage certificate? one for I-485 , one for EAD and one for AP ? One copy for the I-485. EAD and AP have nothing to do with being married.

3- do i need to send 3 copies of my passport pages and 3 copies of my visa and I-94 of just one copy each ? Again, one copy only.

4- do i have to send original copies of anything? There is no such thing as original copies. There are original documents that you should never give up and then there are copies.

5- do i have to notarize any documents? Notaries only certify that a signature is valid. They do not verify the completness or accuracy of a copy. Only the person accepting the copy can do that by comparing the copy with the original--that is why you should always keep the originals and only send in a copy, but bring the original with you to the interview.

6- can i send the payment as money order or is it better to send a check? and the amount is $1070 right? As long as it is made out to the "Department of Homeland Security" and is for $1070. I would send a check as you can then see if it has been cashed and when. Why spent the money on a money order?

7- do i have to send 3 cover letters? one for I-485, one for EAD and one for AP? We sent in one cover letter explaining that we were applying for I-485 and I-131 and I-765 with a listing of the supporting documents for all three applications organized by application

8- on the form G-325a question where it says "this form is submitted in connection with an application for: shall i tick - STATUS AS PERMANENT RESIDENT or tick other and type - ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS? since i should be granted 2 years green card and i won't become a permanent resident right away ? We ticked the "STATUS AS PERMENT RESIDENT" as it states that this appication is in conjunction with an application for.....

9- am i able to apply for a us driver license before Green card is received? Very state dependant. Some do and some do not. Check with your local DMV

10-do i have to send proof or marriage(relation) pictures etc.... or it's not required to be sent with AOS package? Marriage Certificate is the only required document. We sent along some photos of the wedding and items with both our names with the same address on them, but it was not very much as we had only been together for about 2 months.

Good luck,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Going straight to your questions...

1. Yes you do need to send a copy of your spouses proof of US citizenship which could be either the bio data page of her passport or a copy of her birth certificate. Not needed when adjusting from a K-1. They are not filing an I-130.

2. You only need to send one copy of marriage certificate. That should do for all.

3. I would suggest that you make photocopies of every page of your passport including the bio data page and also send just a photocopy of your I-94... This info is in accordance to the instructions. This is not needed. They are not filing an I-130.

4. No! Make sure all the supporting documents you send are copies. This is because you still have to take with you to your interview the originals of everything that you might have sent with your AOS package. So don't send originals of anything!

5. I don't think you have to notarize anything except if you are sending affidavits from people attesting to knowing that your relationship/marriage is real... then they it they have to notarize it. They do not need affidavits from people. If they have an interview, then they can bring proof of their marriage, like joint taxes, joint accounts, joint insurance, joint lease/mortgage, photos etc.

6. Either way works but from personal experience and reading about other Vj members' experience, I'd suggest you send a check.

7. Now I'm not sure about the cover letter but I would think that send just one cover letter detailing everything that's in the package would be enough. It's gonna be one package at the end of the day.

8. If you tick status as a permanent resident or tick other and type in AOS, I for one think it's still gonna be the same. You are apply to change your non-immigrant status to that of an LPR so I'd say tick the permanent resident. That was what I ticked I don't recollect having any issues about it till date.

9. Yes you will be able to apply for a license once you receive your EAD after approval. EAD's usually get's approved and received say in between 60-90 after filing. So with that you can go to your loval DMV.

10. Yes. Look at the instructions for the proof of relationship that is required of you to send alongside your package and also send anything else you can come up with that proves your relationship is a bonafide one. So yes, send proofs, whatever it is that you can. Again, this is not needed for adjusting from a K-1. They are not filing an I-130 and do not need to send in any other proof of their marriage besides a copy of their certified marriage certificate.

I hope I've been able to help as much as I can. Others with better knowledge can correct me if I was wrong anywhere. Good luck!

Thanks again Jay-Kay

You are welcome. :)

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

My mistake, I guess I didn't notice they were filing from a K-1.

3/21/2012 (Day 0) - I-130, I-485 and I-765 sent.

3/23/2012 (Day 1) - Delivered to USCIS.

3/27/2012 (Day 5) - E-Notification that paperwork received.

3/28/2012 (Day 6) - One check for $1,490 cashed & cleared for I-130 and I-485.

4/02/2012 (Day 11) - NOA hard copies received (x3), case status available online & bio appt. also received, dated 04/12 @ 8:00 AM.

4/10/2012 (Day 19) - Case status online says changed to RFE received.

4/12/2012 (Day 21) - Successful biometric done.

5/11/2012 (Day 50) - Complete RFE (I-864) received. Case status online changed to RFE received.

5/16/2012 (Day 55) - Online case status says: Card/ Document Production.

5/21/2012 (Day 60) - Online case status says: Card picked up by USPS.

5/24/2012 (Day 63) - EAD card in hand.

6/12/2012 (Day 82) - Testing and Interview.

7/12/2012 (Day 112) - Interview date!

7/12/2012 (Day 112) - Approved.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.