beakon20

Spouse is a resident of another state

5 posts in this topic

I did some searching here but didn't find much, but I know others have been in this situation. I have been eligible to apply for my US citizenship for awhile now and seriously looking into it. However, one issue. My wife and I own a house in another state from where I work and reside. Of course she lives there and when I'm not at work that is where our life is. We have owned the house for over 6 years and I am usually there most of the time when I am not at my office in another state. Our taxes and everything is joint and really everything is together except for our address (even though both our names are on the mortgage, property taxes, etc). Is this going to be a problem for the N-400 application?

Are you filing joint federal tax returns? If yes, then the address that is shown on your federal return is considered the main residence address and should help your case. Also, do you file state taxes in both states? If you file in one as resident and in the other as non-resident, that might also help your case.

Yes and yes, and I forgot to add when I went through the residency process everything was the same as it is now and there were not any issues. Really the only reason is employment the other state. I just figured they would be more strict on this application vs the original residency application.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It is a big red flag, but certainly not an automatic denial, especially with a lot of other bonafide evidence- they understand that with the economy what it is, sometimes spouses need to live apart.

That being said, from your timeline you have been in the USA on a greencard for 5 years anyway? If so, no bonafide evidence is needed at all, you can file as any 5 year greencard holder would.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.