dukeandduchess

Questions Regarding Having a Baby in Canada and bringing him or her to the US

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay, this is kind of a weird one. My best friend's husband just got a job at a university in California (yay!!!). My friend is about 5 months pregnant. His job begins in August, and she is due sometime in September. Unfortunately, he just found out that their health insurance will not start until October 1st. She's not sure what to do at this point. I'm trying to research getting insurance but I have no idea where to start since she is already pregnant - would insurance places even cover her?

Her other option is to have the baby in Vancouver. She still has Canadian health coverage. I'm just concerned about how long it would take her to come down here once the baby is born. Would she not have to get a passport/visa for the newborn? She would rather have the baby here in California so she can be with her husband, but they don't want to pay thousands of dollars.

What are her options?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think they really have any options unless they want to pay big $$$ in the US for insurance. They would have to get private health insurance to cover the birth and the cost would be prohibitive (not even sure they'd want to ensure someone 1 month shy of being due but they'd have to check). My thought would be she's much better off to have the baby in Canada...not sure what the implications are in terms of being allowed to bring the baby across once she has it, are they covered under his work VISA then?

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

My friend is covered under his work visa, but since the baby hasn't been born yet I doubt he/she is. I'm confused as to how they would bring the baby over without a visa since they're both Canadian. :unsure:

My friend is covered under his work visa, but since the baby hasn't been born yet I doubt he/she is. I'm confused as to how they would bring the baby over without a visa since they're both Canadian. :unsure:

I don't know much about work visas, but just from poking around the state department website a bit, it looks like they would have to file for a visa for the baby (get the baby a passport, fill out forms, pay fees, do the medical if it's an immigrant work visa). My guess is that the baby will be eligible for the same visa that his wife received, but it's going to require more paperwork since the baby probably wasn't listed on the original application (not sure if the couple had to apply separately or if she was just listed on his application).

Family on immigrant work visa

Family on a temporary specialized knowledge (H-1B) visa

Edited by alizon

Find out what type of visa the University is going to use to bring him down. Many University jobs start on a TN(NAFTA) visa. Those are issued at the POE and require very little documentation etc... If he is coming on a TN getting a TD (TN Depedent for the child and wife) could be as easy as getting the child a passport and applying for status at the border (I am not 100% sure but I think it is easier then say an H4 (H1B dependet visa). I seem to remeber that dependents could join the TN visa holder later just by showing a copy of their visa (or better crossing with the TN holder at a later date. Again not 100% sure as rules change but TN should be easier then say H1B

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Getting long form Birth Certificate 2-3 weeks. Getting CDN PP in one week after that.

And that's probably a low estimate. Once you've had the baby it does take time to get the baby registered and get a birth cert from the province on top of having the new little one to take care of (mommy brain etc etc etc). It would certainly be a rough go for them but it would smooth out eventually.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Where does he work now? If they are in the US, they may be eligible for COBRA between jobs. When will his current insurance end? Is there anyway to move up the start date of the insurance?

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Timeline

Where does he work now? If they are in the US, they may be eligible for COBRA between jobs. When will his current insurance end? Is there anyway to move up the start date of the insurance?

I was going to suggest COBRA too, but honestly it can be expensive too, $1200+ per month.

Can he not bargain to have his insurance kick in faster? Has he asked for an exception based on his situation with his wife? Some employers might be flexible or willing to negotiate given the situation.

Another benefit to giving birth in the US will be US citizenship (and Canadian through parents). I'd almost push to see if they can make it happen in the US for that benefit alone.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

They live in Luxembourg right now. He is doing a post-doc at a university there. My friend isn't sure what kind of visa he got, but I'm assuming it would be the H1-B - specialized knowledge - because he teaches engineering.

Timeline

They live in Luxembourg right now. He is doing a post-doc at a university there. My friend isn't sure what kind of visa he got, but I'm assuming it would be the H1-B - specialized knowledge - because he teaches engineering.

In that case, she should probably also find out if there is a waiting period in her province for health coverage to kick again in Canada. Some provinces have a waiting period.

Removing Conditions

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

In that case, she should probably also find out if there is a waiting period in her province for health coverage to kick again in Canada. Some provinces have a waiting period.

She never told them she was leaving so her address is still in BC. I told her a while back she needed to cancel it but she didn't do it.

Timeline

She never told them she was leaving so her address is still in BC. I told her a while back she needed to cancel it but she didn't do it.

Oh that's good then. My cousin did the same while living in Europe. Can't blame them!!

Removing Conditions

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh that's good then. My cousin did the same while living in Europe. Can't blame them!!

Was a thing in the news last yr about the BC govt starting to go after people that are doing exactly that! No longer entitled to Healthcare but keep using it! Its fraud! All adds to the increasing cost of healthcare

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Was a thing in the news last yr about the BC govt starting to go after people that are doing exactly that! No longer entitled to Healthcare but keep using it! Its fraud! All adds to the increasing cost of healthcare

But she's not using it, she lives in Luxemburg. It's basically just making it easier for her to move back and not have to have a 'waiting period' which i've heard they don't really stick to anyways.

Removing Conditions

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.